VFR from Canada to USA
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
VFR from Canada to USA
I'm planning a trip from Alberta to Las Vegas. I've never crossed the US border in a private aircraft before. Can I clear customs at Shelby? What tips etc. Can you offer?
-
guyfullofrage
- Rank 1

- Posts: 18
- Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:14 am
Re: VFR from Canada to USA
I would recommend clearing at Great Falls........... You can also make arrangements for Customs to meet you at Cut Bank..... Check the CPB.Gov website for info on private flyers..........
Re: VFR from Canada to USA
First, get your EAPIS
Second, buy a flight guide and it'll give you all the customs info you need
I wouldn't clear at Greatfalls if headed to Vegas, it's the wrong way, Boise or Salt Lake City are the 2 places I've always cleared on my way to Vegas. Kalispell would be a much better choice then GTF.
Call USA FSS prior to crossing the border and get your border crossing code from the Americans, the flight guide will give you the Freq.
There isn't a standard enroute Freq like we have (126.7) monitor the centre freqs and/or the closet aerodromes. Try to get flight following whenever possible.
You can fly through active MOAs but I suggest you just avoid them. There are a lot of Restricted and MOAs north of Vegas so just plan to go around them, make sure you have a GPS, it will make it so much easier.
Land at North Las Vegas and get your fuel from the self serve pump.
Have fun
Lurch
Second, buy a flight guide and it'll give you all the customs info you need
I wouldn't clear at Greatfalls if headed to Vegas, it's the wrong way, Boise or Salt Lake City are the 2 places I've always cleared on my way to Vegas. Kalispell would be a much better choice then GTF.
Call USA FSS prior to crossing the border and get your border crossing code from the Americans, the flight guide will give you the Freq.
There isn't a standard enroute Freq like we have (126.7) monitor the centre freqs and/or the closet aerodromes. Try to get flight following whenever possible.
You can fly through active MOAs but I suggest you just avoid them. There are a lot of Restricted and MOAs north of Vegas so just plan to go around them, make sure you have a GPS, it will make it so much easier.
Land at North Las Vegas and get your fuel from the self serve pump.
Have fun
Lurch
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Re: VFR from Canada to USA
I have always obtained my trans border squawk code with flying from Canada to the US from either the tower (if leaving from a towered field) or from FSS in Canada. On the return trip you get the Squawk code from US FSS.
One very common mistake with flying from the US back to Canada is forgetting to open your VFR flight plan and then crossing the border without an active flight plan. Make sure you radio or phone FSS prior to wheels up or shortly thereafter to open your flight plan and obtain your transborder squawk code.
One very common mistake with flying from the US back to Canada is forgetting to open your VFR flight plan and then crossing the border without an active flight plan. Make sure you radio or phone FSS prior to wheels up or shortly thereafter to open your flight plan and obtain your transborder squawk code.
Re: VFR from Canada to USA
Thanks for all the help pilots. I checked it out and Butte Montana is directly on the flight path, as I live in Lloydminster. So that should work out amazingly well. I thought I might have to land at Sweetgrass or Shelby which would make 2 stops mandatory enroute. Travelling to the USA is a bit intimidating. I had a good experience last year driving to Seattle, but have met a couple of unfriendlies before. 
Keep the comments coming. I already have signed up for the EAPIS and DTOPS. I gotta admit that they should maybe get a better acronym generating team.
Keep the comments coming. I already have signed up for the EAPIS and DTOPS. I gotta admit that they should maybe get a better acronym generating team.
- Beefitarian
- Top Poster

- Posts: 6618
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
- Location: A couple of meters away from others.
Re: VFR from Canada to USA
I have not been to Butte but heard they were nice. Personally I would make my entry leg to the US as short as possible, Medecine Hat to Cut Bank?
It is imparative you stay in the plane waiting for customs. This will not be fun if you think you need to get out. Even if you have one foot outside the plane they might become "unfriendly". I had heard that even way back in 1996.
Have fun and please tell us how customs was where ever you go.
It is imparative you stay in the plane waiting for customs. This will not be fun if you think you need to get out. Even if you have one foot outside the plane they might become "unfriendly". I had heard that even way back in 1996.
Have fun and please tell us how customs was where ever you go.
-
kiloindiapapa
- Rank 3

- Posts: 167
- Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:42 pm
Re: VFR from Canada to USA
Your going VFR? I too want to make that same trip from Meadow Lake, Sk, down south of Vegas to Laughlin to see my parents. I would be interested in knowing your flight plan for the mountains and also where you obtained your maps from and which ones you got.
Thanks,
Paul
Thanks,
Paul
If a pilot walked into a forest and had to make a decision, and no one from AVCANADA was there. Would the pilot still be wrong?
Re: VFR from Canada to USA
Here's a good source of additional info:
http://www.copanational.org/TransborderOps.cfm
And here are some additional points off the top of my head:
- eAPIS required entering or leaving the US. Do this before calling customs, at least 1 hour before heading south.
- Call 1-888-CANPASS at least 2 hours min north.
- must be squawking a unique transborder or ATC assigned code. I am always talking to ATC but unsure if this is a requirement in remote areas. Doesn't hurt to use flight following both ways.
- if you do the transborder frequently consider joining Canpass Private Aircraft to allow after-hour and unmanned airport entry. See http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass ... r-eng.html
- For others checking this out, here is where you buy a decal:
https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/
- And sign up for eAPIS: https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/
- Above two steps should be done as far in advance as possible to avoid delays, but if you don't have the physical decal yet bring your receipt and include the number on your eAPIS manifest.
http://www.copanational.org/TransborderOps.cfm
And here are some additional points off the top of my head:
- eAPIS required entering or leaving the US. Do this before calling customs, at least 1 hour before heading south.
- Call 1-888-CANPASS at least 2 hours min north.
- must be squawking a unique transborder or ATC assigned code. I am always talking to ATC but unsure if this is a requirement in remote areas. Doesn't hurt to use flight following both ways.
- if you do the transborder frequently consider joining Canpass Private Aircraft to allow after-hour and unmanned airport entry. See http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass ... r-eng.html
- For others checking this out, here is where you buy a decal:
https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/
- And sign up for eAPIS: https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/
- Above two steps should be done as far in advance as possible to avoid delays, but if you don't have the physical decal yet bring your receipt and include the number on your eAPIS manifest.
