Any current info on perimeter?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Les Habitants
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Any current info on perimeter?

Post by Les Habitants »

modi13 wrote:Can anyone tell me about the Beech 99s? Where are they based and what kind of flying do they do? How much do they fly? Do the pilots get trained on other types as well?

Beech 99 pilots get a LOT of days off, from what I've seen from accross the ramp lol. I believe they fly to shorter strips (Berens River, Sandy Lake). The 99 pilots I know are NOT cross trained on other aircraft and don't get very many hours. Also, I believe if you get on the 99 at Perims, you have to go Metro FO before you can go Metro captain, however, that is purely speculation and someone who actually knows might be able to help you out with that one.
---------- ADS -----------

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Just like Buffalo, it is helpful if you look good in green.

If you do get on with them, there are a great many useful things you can take away with you. Their radio procedures on 26.7 are really not one of them. Truly great company aside from that.

"Conflicting Kindly Advise" :roll:

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

same pay as metro 2 and 3 guys. scheduled for 16 days/ month although only actually work 8-12 of those depending on the month. FO pay starts around $29 000/yr cpt up to $100 000.

Les Habitants
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Les Habitants »

just curious wrote: "Conflicting Kindly Advise" :roll:

wahhh wahhh wahhhhhhh. jeez, who cares what terminology they use. There is nothing wrong with Perimeter's radio calls as far as I am concerned.

takamasa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by takamasa »

wt r they mini. they r looking for as a metro FO?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

first minimum requirement is people who use full words and not internet slang

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

fish4life wrote:first minimum requirement is people who use full words and not internet slang
+1 hahahhahaaha or should that be lol?

pez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pez »

I have a friend working there (moving from ramp to Metro after about a year).... All that I've heard is positive.

One point to consider, for those that do get an interview for a ramp, reservations, etc position - they seem to hire very much FOR those positions. Speaking as an unsuccesful ramp applicant (my friend gave my CV to his manager, and I was invited for an interview with HR and the manager). My impression was very much that they do not hire pilots for ramp and other positions. They hire ramp folks, etc. Once hired, if you happen to be a pilot, THEN you send in an application to CP and get on the internal non-flying list, are invited to sims, etc. HR wasn't really exactly sure how it worked.

Work boots and clean work clothes would probably have been more suitable attire than shirt and tie - you are not applying as a pilot until you already work there.

Keep in mind that these observations are based solely on my personal experience - this is not sour grapes or attempting to justify not getting the job, simply things that I think would be helpful to know before walking in the door.

As an aside, I had 350 hrs, CPL, Multi, IFR, seaplane ratings and IATRA written.

Cheers,
pez

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

Exactly. Perimeter does not hire pilots (unless an outside posting is out). They hire people to work the ramp etc. Once you are in, you can apply to be a pilot though the CP.

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

what about instructors? do they hire them and then on to the twins?

Les Habitants
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Les Habitants »

AJV wrote:what about instructors? do they hire them and then on to the twins?
correct. Instructors with at least 1000 hours join the rampie wait list. The only difference is, in the mean time...they build multi pic time. I know of several instructors there who, after just 6 months of being an FO, are going Captain because a) they have their AA's and b) there is so much movement and they are sort of captains for the Metro 3.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I still haven't done my multi/multi-ifr rating. I was thinking of doing it at Perimeter's flight school. Would it help me get a ground job/flying job afterward at Perimeter's ?

I have 350 hours TT. IFR Class 3.

Thanks.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

If would help you more to get a job there now...

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

BEFAN5 wrote:If would help you more to get a job there now...
If I wasn't under contract for the whole summer, believe me, I would have already set up camp in Thompson...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

Well, I've seen a few faces work the ground for 2 months and get flight line in the past few months... Hopefully it will be the same in the fall for you.

All the best.

rjonno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rjonno »

I haven't heard of anybody going flightline in as little as 2 months.

Most recently an employee from reservations was put through metro 2 training after about 4 months; that is the quickest I've heard of so far. The average seems to be a little less than a year these days, with many motivated ramp/cargo/res employees with 250tt+ and iatras getting on in 7 or 8 months. Things are good here, the latest batches of F/Os are shaping up to be real winners and times are exciting.

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

Hey guys,

This thread has definitely peaked my interest in Perimeter.

I currently have 250TT with a class 4 instructor rating. I intend to add the IATRA asap. Once the IATRA is done would I have a chance at an instructor position at Perimeter? I would be willing to work the ramp as well but would hope to start insructing on singles and then get checked out on the twins when my time comes up and get the multi-PIC hours going.

So I guess my question is how would somebody in my situation go about getting on with Perimeter? Do I apply for a ramp or reservations position, then once in, apply as an instructor? Or do I apply directly to insruct? Would I ramp and instruct simultaneously? I also have a university degree and speak french would this be an asset? I am a bit older than most starting out, will this play against me for a ramp position? Final question, I imagine with the winter season approaching, things might be slowing down a bit, what if I were to instruct elsewhere for a bit, would having say 500-750 hrs with some instructing experience help?

Sorry for the long list, any and all help is much appreatiated!

PM if you wish

Thanks
JP

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

This thread has definitely peaked my interest in Perimeter.
Enough that you bothered to look up their website, and see that they only do Multi/IFR training?
would hope to start insructing on singles and then get checked out on the twins when my time comes up and get the multi-PIC hours going.
http://www.perimeter.ca/Training/training.html

It is my general belief that, as a low-timer, the Big P would start you on the ramp, as M/IFR teaching isn't really for beginning instructors. It really depends on what you want to do - instruct, and then move into the school, and then into skeds, or . bags on the ramp, and then into the skeds. I'd imagine that the time invested would be about the same either road...

Good luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

Enough that you bothered to look up their website, and see that they only do Multi/IFR training?
would hope to start insructing on singles and then get checked out on the twins when my time comes up and get the multi-PIC hours going.
http://www.perimeter.ca/Training/training.html
It is my general belief that, as a low-timer, the Big P would start you on the ramp, as M/IFR teaching isn't really for beginning instructors. It really depends on what you want to do - instruct, and then move into the school, and then into skeds, or . bags on the ramp, and then into the skeds. I'd imagine that the time invested would be about the same either road...
Good luck!
[/quote]

Hey North shore, I went to the site and to pilot career center to check them out, I did see it was an MIFR school, kind of slipped my mind when I was writing I guess, but like you said the MIFR instrcuting isn't really for beginners, so I suppose I could apply on the ramp for now, and try to instruct elsewhere in the meantime, then depending on when I get the call they can decide where I fit. They are completely separate paths though right? You either start there as an instructor and move to sked or ramp to sked, no combining the two?

Thanks

Last edited by jpar84 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

Too lazy to look it up again but I don't think you can teach multi fir with 250 hours... Even if you could, perimeter prides themselves on being professional and most instructors have well over 1000. Ramp is your best/only bet.

Return to “Employment Forum”