After hours at YTZ
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
- cdnpilot77
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm
After hours at YTZ
After reading the posts in the yul-ytz thread, I thought we could start a new one rather than hijack the other one. So what is the penalty for landing/departing ytz after hours without being medevac? Does anyone here actually know? Heres the situation for GA obviously.
A few weeks ago I was sitting on the ramp waiting for my pax who arrived at 10:55. I had already warmed up and got atis when they arrived and sprinted to the airplane. Engine was started as the last door was shut and taxiied out at 10:58. We backtracked on 26 to get ahead of a porter q400 that would be the final departure. 10:59 we were airborne and the porter flight departed about 45 seconds later with the controller promptly closing the airport immediately after handing us and the q over to centre. This is a typical scenario in my world....wait till the last possible seconds and accept any consequences.
About a week later a similar event although not quite as close. We were airborne and nearly across the humber bay when the airport closed. About a minute later, an aircraft asked for taxi clearance for a departure to yxu I believe. The controller informed the pilot that the airport was now closed and the pilot continued to ask for clearance about 5 different ways and was told 5 different ways why he couldnt depart. At that point the pilot then asked "what is the penalty if I do depart?". To which the controller replied, " the airport is closed, you will accept whetever consequences that come to you which I have no control over, if you depart." He departed as I heard him soon after on centre freq.
This guy obviously departed after the closing, but I never heard a word from centre about his decision to depart. I assume since the controller at ytz was still in the tower when this guy lifted off that he was reported (never did check cadors), but what would his penalty be if he is a first time offender? I dont want to go busting curfews, but I know my boss and if it is a $500-1000 fine to him then, the extra hour for dinner or whatever would be well worth it. Crazy world, I know...but I sure as hell am not going to risk my license or record so he can have an extra glass of wine or 3.
A few weeks ago I was sitting on the ramp waiting for my pax who arrived at 10:55. I had already warmed up and got atis when they arrived and sprinted to the airplane. Engine was started as the last door was shut and taxiied out at 10:58. We backtracked on 26 to get ahead of a porter q400 that would be the final departure. 10:59 we were airborne and the porter flight departed about 45 seconds later with the controller promptly closing the airport immediately after handing us and the q over to centre. This is a typical scenario in my world....wait till the last possible seconds and accept any consequences.
About a week later a similar event although not quite as close. We were airborne and nearly across the humber bay when the airport closed. About a minute later, an aircraft asked for taxi clearance for a departure to yxu I believe. The controller informed the pilot that the airport was now closed and the pilot continued to ask for clearance about 5 different ways and was told 5 different ways why he couldnt depart. At that point the pilot then asked "what is the penalty if I do depart?". To which the controller replied, " the airport is closed, you will accept whetever consequences that come to you which I have no control over, if you depart." He departed as I heard him soon after on centre freq.
This guy obviously departed after the closing, but I never heard a word from centre about his decision to depart. I assume since the controller at ytz was still in the tower when this guy lifted off that he was reported (never did check cadors), but what would his penalty be if he is a first time offender? I dont want to go busting curfews, but I know my boss and if it is a $500-1000 fine to him then, the extra hour for dinner or whatever would be well worth it. Crazy world, I know...but I sure as hell am not going to risk my license or record so he can have an extra glass of wine or 3.
Re: After hours at YTZ
That's great for him, until GA movements are banned entirely from CYTZ because of his/your blatant infringements of the noise policy that mandates the airport closes at 11 as part of its good-neighbour policy.but I know my boss and if it is a $500-1000 fine to him then, the extra hour for dinner or whatever would be well worth it.
Personally I don't mind if he has to find a different airport for you to pick him up at; I do very much mind if because of his selfishness, none of us are permitted to fly from CYTZ, even when the airport is open.
Google "Community Air" if his/your attention needs sharpening.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
- cdnpilot77
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm
Re: After hours at YTZ
Thats a fair point! I wasn't even thinking about that aspect...thank you.
Ps. Let me just clarify that i was not looking to go out planning to break a curfew. Rather, if the boss had the extra glass of wine and had of got back a few minutes later...what is the penalty? Of note, I have told him previously that it is simply not possible to take off after 2300, so it most likely will never become an issue.
Ps. Let me just clarify that i was not looking to go out planning to break a curfew. Rather, if the boss had the extra glass of wine and had of got back a few minutes later...what is the penalty? Of note, I have told him previously that it is simply not possible to take off after 2300, so it most likely will never become an issue.
Re: After hours at YTZ
So what does the tower do with the runway lights when they "close" the field?
No CFS or Jepps within reach but I presume ARCAL for the medevacs?
If no ARCAL, then it is a very simple logic gate.
No CFS or Jepps within reach but I presume ARCAL for the medevacs?
If no ARCAL, then it is a very simple logic gate.
Re: After hours at YTZ
MEDEVACs are allowed to operate after hours out of CYTZ using ARCALs. That is how Ornge and Air Bravo have been able to operate out of there for the last few years.


