Canada Post Bill Passes!

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canada Post Bill Passes!

Post by JakeYYZ »

If the function performed is of such low importance that a strike can be tolerated without drastic hardship nationwide, then that function isn't important enough for the federal government to be doing in the first place. The Canada Post solution is simple...refer to Deutsche Post for a fine example.
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... king-ship/
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

There was a chinese takeout menu in our mailbox today. Does that mean the strike is over?

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

JakeYYZ wrote:If the function performed is of such low importance that a strike can be tolerated without drastic hardship nationwide, then that function isn't important enough for the federal government to be doing in the first place. The Canada Post solution is simple...refer to Deutsche Post for a fine example.
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... king-ship/
Didn't Harper order them back to work BECAUSE it was causing drastic hardship nationwide? Maybe I'm wrong.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

George Floresco, a national vice-president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, said the level of animosity felt by most workers being forced back to work is likely to linger for a long time
"Forced" back to work? Excuse me? If they think they're being underpaid at their current (highly paid) jobs, why don't they quit and go get a job paying more elsewhere?

BECAUSE THEY CAN'T.

They're overpaid, they know it, and they think they're entitled to being overpaid by the taxpayer.

Where's David Dingwall when you really need him? A Good Liberal, he really understood his entitlements from the taxpayer.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

BAH!

Here's my lefty coming out...

Why isn't everyone "overpaid"? They just make a living wage and get thrown a bone when they retire. That's fair. I like getting my mail. I appreciate that guy that slips and slides on the icy steps all day long in -20 weather.

The problem I see is that anyone who sees someone making more money than themselves has been programmed by right-wing media that we should all be making a bowl of rice per day like the Chinese.

Someone making 16 bucks an hour that knows how to run the Flim-a-flam is pissed off because that other guy that didn't get the Flim-a-flam training is making 14 bucks an hour- WITH NO SKILLZZZ!!!! A TRAVESTY!!!!! KILL HIM!!! HE'S OVERPAID!!!!!

Shouldn't we have a 32 hour work week by now and be able to have some kids and a house? Technology is awesome these days. Can't it pick up the slack? We've had very little progress since Henry Ford invented the 40 hour work week.

Sure, the taxpayer is subsidizing the Posties' wages, but we're subsidizing SunCor's CEO pay too.

WORKING MEN OF ALL COUNTRIES, UNITE!!!!

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/wo ... manifesto/

If we don't stick together, they'll @#$! us separately. (you can quote me on that)

-istp :roll:

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

We are debt slaves. Everyone, load up on a $500,000 chipboard house in Calgary, a 40,000 4X4 F250, and a few quads and sleds! 35 year mortgage!

Work until you are 70 to pay for it! Living the dream

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Hey I'm in complete agreement "that good quality work gets good pay" BUT a letter carrier does not need an education to do his job and there is little if any apprentice time required. Facts are that Government jobs are on average the best paying jobs out there with over the hill benefits. Over 80% of Government employees have excellent retirement pensions compared to around 20% of the private sector jobs and folks these private sector workers are the ones paying taxes so that the Government workers can reap all these fine benefits. Right now a Government job is at the top of the heap as far as $$$$ and perks and the taxpayers (private sector) are tired of all the moaning and groaning coming from these folks. If your job entails no education and is basically simple labor then don't expect to get paid what an educated professional or trades person would make. Remember if your making $30.00 per hour that's $60,000 per year plus all the perks. There are piles of carpenters,pipe fitters,electricians,mechanics and "pilots" that don't make that much money without any perks and they have all spent many hours and lots of money to get the training and education to get the job and these folks are the guys paying the letter carriers so keep that in mind when you think the Posties are not well looked after.

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

robertsailor1 wrote:Hey I'm in complete agreement "that good quality work gets good pay" BUT a letter carrier does not need an education to do his job and there is little if any apprentice time required. Facts are that Government jobs are on average the best paying jobs out there with over the hill benefits. Over 80% of Government employees have excellent retirement pensions compared to around 20% of the private sector jobs and folks these private sector workers are the ones paying taxes so that the Government workers can reap all these fine benefits. Right now a Government job is at the top of the heap as far as $$$$ and perks and the taxpayers (private sector) are tired of all the moaning and groaning coming from these folks. If your job entails no education and is basically simple labor then don't expect to get paid what an educated professional or trades person would make. Remember if your making $30.00 per hour that's $60,000 per year plus all the perks. There are piles of carpenters,pipe fitters,electricians,mechanics and "pilots" that don't make that much money without any perks and they have all spent many hours and lots of money to get the training and education to get the job and these folks are the guys paying the letter carriers so keep that in mind when you think the Posties are not well looked after.
You do realize of course that Canada Post is a for profit (and generally makes healthy ones at that) crown corporation that isn't (except maybe this year now) supported by tax payers? And people also get paid based on the physical nature of their job, not just whether they have a college diploma. Pilots who work for crap money are only doing it because that's the avenue open to them to get that 6 figure job they covet. That's their choice, and their risk.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Siddley Hawker wrote:
I'm sure that the conservative mantra of privatization will help small businesses also...
I suppose the question could be asked "What will privatization hurt?"
How is the free market working for Gas, Cell Phones, Insurance, etc?

How did the free market work for Banks in the USA, or Big Auto?

How many people who fall under privatized healthcare in the states have their safety net unfairly yanked out from under them with fine writing caps? Or the dreaded "Pre-existing Condition'?

I know we are far from perfect in this country and don't pretend that we are, but the privatize everything and let the free market decide is definitely not the answer either.

There is no free market. There is only big corporations that organize a monopoly.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

This guy sure knew something about central organization:

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

Stalin was actually quite brilliant.

Cheers,
Brew
robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Free market or no free market a country has to be able to produce wealth if the citizens expect a decent standard of living. Big government or big business it makes no difference. Canada is fortunate because it has lots of natural resources and we have for years relied on them to get us by because Canadians are not very productive compared to many countries and over time it has been showing as our standard of living has dropped. As far as crown corporations being the same as private companies, get real, its government owned just like the CBC and it may or may not run a profit, government is government no matter how you paint it. I doubt any private company would be paying $60,000 a year for delivery jobs.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Its cheaper to send a box to the border of mexico than to the next province in Canada, and what of the incessantly increasing stamp prices ? Double the cost of mail delivery and give the lazy, selfish, postees $100,000.00/yr.? Where does the fat end ?

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

I don't know about it being cheaper to ship to Mexico than to another province; But at my work, it is cheaper to ship small boxes (within the province) by DHL than by Xpress post. With the courier it arrives the next day, by post it's 3-4 days at almost double the cost.

Cheers,
Brew
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Interesting, that. My experience is the exact opposite. I just had to send some documents from CYTH to CYYJ. Purolator courier was $30 (two business days) the closest Canada Post option would have been XpressPost @ ~$15..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Being a public SERVANT ( government employee ) should be a training ground for private enterprise like the military should be a stepping stone for private enterprise. NOT a place where you hang your hat and feed off the taxpayers !!!!
Brewguy, I was meaning shipping to the Border of Mexico but still within the USA
Sorry,

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

Ah, okay. No worries.

North Shore: For business accounts if you regularly ship packages of similar size and weight, in quantity, you can typically negotiate good rates with the courier companies. Not so with Canada Post. I can ship something the size of a cell phone box anywhere in Ontario for around $6. The last time we priced out Xpress post, the same package was closer to $15 with no guaranteed delivery time.

Cheers,
Brew
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

crazy_aviator wrote:Being a public SERVANT ( government employee ) should be a training ground for private enterprise like the military should be a stepping stone for private enterprise. NOT a place where you hang your hat and feed off the taxpayers !!!!
They're not supposed to just feed off the taxpayers, they're supposed to give us good service. If the government behaved like above, it would be any wonder that it didn't screw up more often. People are forgetting that Canada post exists, just like the US postal service, because its an essential service to all of the people. While one can get good deals as a business for shipping stuff - usually with the promise of shipping lots of stuff, or doing it regularly, shipping anything as an individual, Canada post is still generally always your cheapest means of getting something delivered. If time isn't an issue, or you're too poor to afford other services, you can still mail something in this country - and get mail in this country (the other part of the service people are forgetting about).

As per service, Canada Post sits about the middle when it comes to the price/speed range when our business ships stuff. If there's no hurry, I send it by Canada post. If there's a rush, Purolator tends to be the best for that service, though the cost rises significantly. Incidentally, we used to use DHL because of the lower cost and speed, but they ended up with the worst experience in terms of losing parcels, occasionally delivering them to wrong locations and damaging the goods shipped. UPS was only slightly better (better on the handling, though still the occasional parcel to the wrong address. Thank the invisible sky-man for helpful neighbors.)

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

crazy_aviator wrote:Being a public SERVANT ( government employee ) should be a training ground for private enterprise like the military should be a stepping stone for private enterprise. NOT a place where you hang your hat and feed off the taxpayers !!!!
Brewguy, I was meaning shipping to the Border of Mexico but still within the USA
Sorry,

Horseshit, of the finest grade! The government, traditionally, takes on enterprises that are not profitable when undertaken by the private sector. How do you think that the Police or Fire Brigade could ever turn a profit? And, why should they - they're a public service. If they did turn a profit, it would be because of one of two things - either paying the employees less, or charging us more, and pocketing the difference. How do you think that the court system could make money? Give your head a shake.
So, by extension, how are employees of those services going to train themselves to work in the private sector, if no comparable jobs are there?
Also, what you are proposing is a form of taxpayer-subsidised corporate welfare - hire an employee, train them up, and then let them loose, fully trained on the public's nickel on the private sector. Maybe you'd like the government to pay for PPCs too?

Besides that, you seem to be missing the point that Canada Post is a private company - its main shareholder being the Government of Canada. And, it made money last year. (as it has done, IIRC, for the last decade or so..)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Brewguy wrote:Ah, okay. No worries.

North Shore: For business accounts if you regularly ship packages of similar size and weight, in quantity, you can typically negotiate good rates with the courier companies. Not so with Canada Post. I can ship something the size of a cell phone box anywhere in Ontario for around $6. The last time we priced out Xpress post, the same package was closer to $15 with no guaranteed delivery time.
Not quite true, CP does offer discounts on quantity. Have a look at the prepaid expresspost deals, depending on the item you can get a discount when you purchase 5 or 10. There is also the ventureone program that offers some discounts.

For $25.49 if it can fit in the 37.8 * 32cm pack it can go anywhere in Canada tracked and insured.
http://www.canadapost.ca/shop/personal/ ... ution=e1s1

For $13.29 if it can fit in the 39 cm x 29.5 cm pack it can go anywhere in the region.
http://www.canadapost.ca/shop/personal/ ... ution=e1s1

Guaranteed in 2-3 days.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

Return to “The Water Cooler”