Canada Post Bill Passes!

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Canada Post Bill Passes!

Post by DanJ »

robertsailor1 wrote:. I doubt any private company would be paying $60,000 a year for delivery jobs.
Really? Have you checked what a driver at Purolator, DHL, Canpar, Fedex and UPS makes? None of them, including Canada Post, quite get to $60k on regular pay, but many do with a bit of overtime here and there. Hoiwever I do beleive the letter carrier hourly wage is at the low end compared to the national courier companies.
---------- ADS -----------

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Keep in mind that in private companies these delivery folks actually work a full day. There is no such thing as walking your route and going home early.
That aside the real issue is the runaway incomes earned by government employees at all levels. Do your homework, these folks are some of the best paid in the country with perks that no average worker will ever see.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Well, job-shadow your postie for a day - I guarantee that they are doing the full 7.5 or 8 hrs that they are required to do.

And, given the current economic system that we work under, if you think that you are 'underpaid', and government employees are 'overpaid', then feel free to quit your current job and apply to the civil service..
:roll:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

This thread is hilarious! Pilots complaining that other people's jobs are too easy! :lol:

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

North Shore wrote:^ Well, job-shadow your postie for a day - I guarantee that they are doing the full 7.5 or 8 hrs that they are required to do.

And, given the current economic system that we work under, if you think that you are 'underpaid', and government employees are 'overpaid', then feel free to quit your current job and apply to the civil service..
Exactly. It may have been true back before the crown corp days, but since making money became the name of the game there, you don't have 4 hour routes making 8 hours pay anymore. That's not to say that on a day by day basis, some routes are light and you get through it a bit quicker, but generally, they work their hours.

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

North Shore wrote:This thread is hilarious! Pilots complaining that other people's jobs are too easy! :lol:
You beat me to it North Shore. Though I don't work in the industry I do know a lot that do and the time they get off is incredible.

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Define work, if its "walking" then the Posties are working hard, if its using your "head" then they are on easy street, no pun intended.
Most of the pilots I know started as instructors and put in very long hours and received very little pay. The small percentage of the pilots that make it into the left seat of the airlines certainly do OK but in my mind they bloody well deserved it. (no I'm not employed as a pilot in the airlines)
I can tell you a unionized bus driver makes as much as many flight officers in the airlines and there is a slight difference in the time and training to do those jobs. It used to be that simple jobs paid simple money but as soon as public sector unions were invented those days were over.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Are you people for real?

Do you honestly think that if a job involves "harder work", it should pay more per hour?

Are you joking?

How much manual labour does, say, Donald Trump do? If you divide his yearly income by 2000 hrs (typical work year) I would be very surprised if he doesn't earn a thousand times more per hour than any manual labourer anywhere in the world. And, I'll bet The Donald's hands are as soft as a baby's bottom.

I can't believe the level of ignorance here. What a job pays is determined by the supply of the worker commodity, and the demand for the worker commodity, for the particular job, distorted by government regulation and union ransoming.

You ignore market forces at your own peril. Ever wonder why there isn't a manufacturing sector in Canada any more?

Canada: The Next Greece

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

Rotating strikes made for a 3 day delivery week, which had little effect on small business. Hardly any of us even noticed Canada Post went on strike.
Once the system was shut-down, through a lock-out, which was the game changer. The government had to act.
Here’s a great Plan B and a great way to reduce the size and scope of government without most of the public even noticing: reduce mail delivery to three times per week. We still need some mail delivery, but hardly at the rate of five days per week.

Most here are unaware that Canada Post owns and runs one of Canada’s big parcel delivery companies too. You thought Purolator Couriers was a private outfit competing just like everybody else? Think again. It’s owned by Canada Post. Why? Who knows.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Purolator is pretty good and people don't have to knowingly use Canada Post. So keep it down.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Once the system was shut-down, through a lock-out, which was the game changer. The government had to act.
Geez, d'ya think that a Conservative government had anything to do to do with the lockout, thus manufacturing a crisis? :shock:

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Donald Trump if he never worked a day in his life he would be a billionaire. He inherited a fortune and sold his daughter as part of a business deal with the Kushner family when he needed money. In between that he made some money on anything tacky he attach a neon sign and bikini girl to.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Simple-minded egalitarianism is so childish - and so widespread.

The incredible rationalization about people with money is mind-boggling. Either

1) they inherited it, and are thus evil, or
2) if they didn't inherit it, they must have stole it, so they are evil.

Maybe, just maybe, when someone has more money and are more successful than you, they might

i) work harder than you, or
ii) are smarter than you

Neither (i) or (ii) is palatable to an egalitarian, so instead (1) or (2) must be true.

The decades of venom that has been spewed at Bill Gates, for example, is archetypal egalitariianism. Since it is a fact that (1) does not apply (Bill didn't inherit his billions) therefore (2) MUST be true. It simply can't be possible that Bill Gates works harder than you, or is smarter than you. Never!

Therefore the Big Rationalization ((1) or (2)) is trotted out, to explain away people's personal sense of failure in their lives.

That's pitiful, people.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

hz2p wrote:Simple-minded egalitarianism is so childish - and so widespread.

Maybe, just maybe, when someone has more money and are more successful than you, they might

ii) are smarter than you

Neither (i) or (ii) is palatable to an egalitarian, so instead (1) or (2) must be true.

The decades of venom that has been spewed at Bill Gates, for example, is archetypal egalitariianism. Since it is a fact that (1) does not apply (Bill didn't inherit his billions) therefore (2) MUST be true. It simply can't be possible that Bill Gates works harder than you, or is smarter than you. Never!

Therefore the Big Rationalization ((1) or (2)) is trotted out, to explain away people's personal sense of failure in their lives.

That's pitiful, people.

Its that simple hey? A or B and i and ii? and that covers what portion of the population? 99%?

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Okay so "the Donald" is a financial genius? Why didnt he predict the financial crisis? He predicted boom times ahead. Some people listened to him, others listened to the Lebanese economist Nassim taleb who said the world economy is about to crash and walked away like bandits. He met Bernie Madoff several times and familiar with his "investment strategy" but didnt suspect a thing.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

"the Donald" is a financial genius?
Compared to you, he sure is.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I think he's relatively smart. But then again, anyone born rich with half a brain does pretty well in life. :roll:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

hz2p wrote:Simple-minded egalitarianism is so childish - and so widespread.

3) they're in a union, and are thus evil

ii) are smarter than you

Neither (i) or (ii) is palatable to an egalitarian, so instead (1) (2) or (3) must be true.

The decades of venom that has been spewed at Bill Gates, for example, is archetypal egalitariianism. Since it is a fact that (1) does not apply (Bill didn't inherit his billions) and we can rule out (3) because he doesn't need a union therefore (2) MUST be true. It simply can't be possible that Bill Gates works harder than you, or is smarter than you. Never!

Therefore the Big Rationalization ((1) (2) or (3)) is trotted out, to explain away people's personal sense of failure in their lives.

That's pitiful, people.
+1

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

anyone born rich with half a brain does pretty well in life
(1) rears it's ugly, jealous head
That's pitiful, people

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Who else liked to quote himself often here?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

Return to “The Water Cooler”