Next steps.
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore
-
BE20 Driver
- Rank 7

- Posts: 571
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 12:58 pm
Next steps.
This whole industry is about thinking a few steps ahead of where you are now.
I'm looking to move on to something bigger this year but I must be one of the more unlucky guys out there. I had an interview with Jazz before they stopped hiring. Was offered an interview at a big international player but I can't get the time off of work to attend the dates they offered.
Air Canada hasn't called me.
I don't know anyone at Westjet
I don't speak French
I don't have a current 737 rating
So what's a guy to do? I wouldn't mind a little adventure (read living/working overseas - not living/working in Shamatawa). At the same time, I'd like to move to a company with stability, good pay and a good lifestyle (no more rotations?). So who else should I be looking at? I'd like to leave the company I'm at for an airline. Strangely, I don't really know anyone at WJ or at Transat so I'm up against a brick wall there.
I'm probably just venting at the end of a really long day but any thoughts appreciated.
I'm looking to move on to something bigger this year but I must be one of the more unlucky guys out there. I had an interview with Jazz before they stopped hiring. Was offered an interview at a big international player but I can't get the time off of work to attend the dates they offered.
Air Canada hasn't called me.
I don't know anyone at Westjet
I don't speak French
I don't have a current 737 rating
So what's a guy to do? I wouldn't mind a little adventure (read living/working overseas - not living/working in Shamatawa). At the same time, I'd like to move to a company with stability, good pay and a good lifestyle (no more rotations?). So who else should I be looking at? I'd like to leave the company I'm at for an airline. Strangely, I don't really know anyone at WJ or at Transat so I'm up against a brick wall there.
I'm probably just venting at the end of a really long day but any thoughts appreciated.
Re: Next steps.
Where are you living now, and what company do you REALLY want to work for? You must have a preference right? I think that just taking the next best thing isn't always the best. If you want to work for AC, set your sights on them and don't give up. Same goes for anywhere else. To be turly happy, you'll want to be working for the company you like. Am I wrong?
- Darkwing Duck
- Rank 6

- Posts: 430
- Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 am
Re: Next steps.
I am not too positive but WestJet is no longer what it used to be as far as knowing someone to be hired there. Giver a go, what harm will it do? Nothing ventured nothing gained right. Worst case scenario is that they will not hire you. But you will not be hired if you do not apply. I believe it was Wayne Gretzky who said that you will be 100% successful not scoring if you do not take a shot at the net. And be persistant, even if they are not hiring make yourself known.
Is there any way to do a shift trade with someone so you can interview with the overseas carrier? I am sure there is something that can be worked out with some coworkers. They do not need to know you are interviewing, just mention something came up that you have to step out for a bit.
Good luck either way.
Is there any way to do a shift trade with someone so you can interview with the overseas carrier? I am sure there is something that can be worked out with some coworkers. They do not need to know you are interviewing, just mention something came up that you have to step out for a bit.
Good luck either way.
Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
-
Flaps 1 Billion
- Rank 3

- Posts: 137
- Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:32 am
Re: Next steps.
Keep updating with AC, a lot. Apply at WJ and keep updating, a lot. You don't need French and you don't need a 737 rating, Canjet is a hit and miss gig, here one day, gone the next. Nothing bad to the Canjet guys.
You need to get the time off work for that interview, someway, somehow make it happen. Easier said than done but if you want to go overseas, booking off sick or making an excuse may be the only way do it. If you're boss can't understand that you're looking to continue your career after a few years with him, he's an idiot and doesn't deserve your loyalties.
Next time you're on rotation time off, try walking into a couple corp offices, if that's of interest to you.
You need to get the time off work for that interview, someway, somehow make it happen. Easier said than done but if you want to go overseas, booking off sick or making an excuse may be the only way do it. If you're boss can't understand that you're looking to continue your career after a few years with him, he's an idiot and doesn't deserve your loyalties.
Next time you're on rotation time off, try walking into a couple corp offices, if that's of interest to you.
ho ho ho merry christmas
-
BE20 Driver
- Rank 7

- Posts: 571
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 12:58 pm
Re: Next steps.
I do have applications in just about everywhere. I update most of them every few months.
I definitely can't get the time to attend the interview. Have tried for a few weeks. Problem is that I'm booked for a multi-week charter trip and everyone else is doing some contract work and completely tied up. I don't work for a very big employer so there's not many people qualified on type that I can switch with. Calling in sick won't work because the dates are in the middle of my trip so I'd have to be sick for several weeks in order to sneak off for this. It's just not in the cards to attend this one. Truthfully, I am not sure that Cathay is where I want to go because of their B and C scale pay cuts etc. but I'd definitely interview with them and see what comes of it.
I'd probably be most interested in AC or maybe Emirates however, I don't seem to be high enough time to get their attention. I'm probably at the stage where I've got enough time that if I knew someone, I could get an interview but not high enough to stand on my own. I know that's not how it works at big Red, it's all the scoring matrix.
I'm living all over the place chasing work. I would like to get into one of the bigger players and park myself and work the seniority system. I'm not necessarily chasing metal - I'd be happy flying 704 for a long time to come but the problem is at all the companies I have worked for, there never is any stability/predictability in scheduling.
I definitely can't get the time to attend the interview. Have tried for a few weeks. Problem is that I'm booked for a multi-week charter trip and everyone else is doing some contract work and completely tied up. I don't work for a very big employer so there's not many people qualified on type that I can switch with. Calling in sick won't work because the dates are in the middle of my trip so I'd have to be sick for several weeks in order to sneak off for this. It's just not in the cards to attend this one. Truthfully, I am not sure that Cathay is where I want to go because of their B and C scale pay cuts etc. but I'd definitely interview with them and see what comes of it.
I'd probably be most interested in AC or maybe Emirates however, I don't seem to be high enough time to get their attention. I'm probably at the stage where I've got enough time that if I knew someone, I could get an interview but not high enough to stand on my own. I know that's not how it works at big Red, it's all the scoring matrix.
I'm living all over the place chasing work. I would like to get into one of the bigger players and park myself and work the seniority system. I'm not necessarily chasing metal - I'd be happy flying 704 for a long time to come but the problem is at all the companies I have worked for, there never is any stability/predictability in scheduling.
Re: Next steps.
Have patience. This is the time you should be enjoying your career. All the cards will eventually fall into place. Flying for an airline is a good gig but if you're like me, you'll miss the times of flying around in a Navajo/KingAir. Real flying. Don't be in a rush. Before you know it you'll be sitting in a 787 flying all over the world missing what you're doing now. Good luck either way!
- Panama Jack
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3265
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:10 am
- Location: Back here
Re: Next steps.
So you say you don't know anybody at Westjet. What are you doing about it?
Networking is an important skill in our industry and, with the advent of the internet, it has never become more easy. Sites like Linkedin and AirlineFriends.net allow you to connect with interesting people almost anywhere on the Globe and build professional relationships. Hint: Don't just click to connect and ask them if they can recommend you the very next week.
If you want something badly, don't take "no" for an answer. Also, don't take the "paying your dues" mantra as meaning that there is a production-line type of order of seniority or entitlement in the profession.
Networking is an important skill in our industry and, with the advent of the internet, it has never become more easy. Sites like Linkedin and AirlineFriends.net allow you to connect with interesting people almost anywhere on the Globe and build professional relationships. Hint: Don't just click to connect and ask them if they can recommend you the very next week.
If you want something badly, don't take "no" for an answer. Also, don't take the "paying your dues" mantra as meaning that there is a production-line type of order of seniority or entitlement in the profession.
“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
-President Ronald Reagan
-
BE20 Driver
- Rank 7

- Posts: 571
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 12:58 pm
Re: Next steps.
I appreciate the advice.
LisaS - the flying I like. The constant change to my schedule is what is getting to me. Also to an extent the lack of union and benefits that come with a bigger player like AC or WJ
Panama - I understand the value of networking. That's why I'm on here looking for advice. Due to a few stops and starts, lay offs etc, I am not in touch with a few people who I started flying with. I have just found out that a couple of people I know will be heading to WJ in the fall time but they will just be the FNG and I'm sure they have a ton of other people who they will walk through long before me. That won't stop me from asking them. A lot of the other people that I know are happy in the north or happy doing corporate work so they're not much help in getting my foot in the teal door.
I hadn't considered something like linkedin. It would certainly help meet a few new faces who might be willing to help.
With the current market, I'm still low time for AC and WJ but I want to be prepared and start networking so I can get in early and ride the proverbial seniority number.
LisaS - the flying I like. The constant change to my schedule is what is getting to me. Also to an extent the lack of union and benefits that come with a bigger player like AC or WJ
Panama - I understand the value of networking. That's why I'm on here looking for advice. Due to a few stops and starts, lay offs etc, I am not in touch with a few people who I started flying with. I have just found out that a couple of people I know will be heading to WJ in the fall time but they will just be the FNG and I'm sure they have a ton of other people who they will walk through long before me. That won't stop me from asking them. A lot of the other people that I know are happy in the north or happy doing corporate work so they're not much help in getting my foot in the teal door.
I hadn't considered something like linkedin. It would certainly help meet a few new faces who might be willing to help.
With the current market, I'm still low time for AC and WJ but I want to be prepared and start networking so I can get in early and ride the proverbial seniority number.
Re: Next steps.
You should apply at Georgian. Lots of hiring and expansion. It's a great stepping stone into AC with better odds than other places to move on. You'll work hard, but can live in Halifax, Toronto and soon Calgary. We've lost several to AC, a few to Porter, Jazz, Sunwing and Transat in recent months. If the economy continues to hold out and with retirements upwards of 100 year out of AC it's just a matter of time and you will be where you want to be. But realize aviation is still a race to the bottom and grass isn't necessarily greener.
Good luck!
Good luck!
-
sky Rookie
- Rank 3

- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:23 am
Re: Next steps.
Im going to be in a similar situation in a short while, can I ask what your time is like and what everyone considers low for AC and westjet.
Also input on this
If end goal is AC
currently flying a king air
1.)stay where im at until AC calls one day
2.)make a jazz or porter or calm ect jump and then move from there
?
Also input on this
If end goal is AC
currently flying a king air
1.)stay where im at until AC calls one day
2.)make a jazz or porter or calm ect jump and then move from there
?
-
TeePeeCreeper
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1198
- Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: in the bush
Re: Next steps.
And for 27 thousand a year as an FO, you'll keep racing to the bottom! Great advice there Hopper!hopper wrote:You should apply at Georgian. Lots of hiring and expansion. It's a great stepping stone into AC with better odds than other places to move on. You'll work hard, but can live in Halifax, Toronto and soon Calgary. We've lost several to AC, a few to Porter, Jazz, Sunwing and Transat in recent months. If the economy continues to hold out and with retirements upwards of 100 year out of AC it's just a matter of time and you will be where you want to be. But realize aviation is still a race to the bottom and grass isn't necessarily greener.
Good luck!
(I guess the kool-aid really does taste good to some)
"Chase the lifestyle not the metal"
