Using Beaver Tip Tanks

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Using Beaver Tip Tanks

Post by Kzanol »

I have a trip at the end of the month where I will need to use them. Never done it before and neither has anyone else at the company. Any tips?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Using Beaver Tip Tanks

Post by cdnpilot77 »

The tips will only drain if you have more than 8gallons in each of them, (they hold 18 each). I usually run on the front at the start and take it down to about 4 gallons remaining, then open up the tips to take it back up to 24 (easy to read on the fuel guage) while running on the rear tank. That way I know that if I filled the tips right up, I should have 8 remaining in each tip. I let the front tank down to 4 gallons again and then let her go back up which you should get 20. Just keep a close eye when transferring because it does go relatively quick.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I've flown a bunch of machines with them and have had to use the tips a fair amount. cdnpilot77 is spot on. Burn the front tank down to around 4 or 5 gals on the gauge and then switch to the center or rear tank and open the valve for the tips and let it fill the front to 24 or so. Then burn off a chunk from the front again and then let the remainder fill in as you burn off more of the rear/center. Be sure to close the valve when on the first transfer or it WILL just puke it out the vent line on the front tank after its full. On the second transfer (for whatever was left remaining) I just leave it open though. I was also advised (and know that this is true on the twotter as well) that you shouldnt really be landing with fuel in the tips. IIRC there was no addendum to the C of G calcs for fuel in the tips, but I may be wrong on that. Also be sure to check that theres zip in those tanks via the quick drains before filling them. If they havent been used for a while condensation and or rain water may have found its way in there. I'd check them empty, fill them, let sit for 20 mins (maybe while you fill the belly tanks) and re-check. But I'm a bit of a granny when it comes to fuel.

edited to add - It was around 3-4 mins for the machines I was flying to transfer. It is after all a gravity feed with a slight aid from the little ram air scoops, which you may want to check for debris :rolleyes:

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

[quote="Rowdy"]I was also advised (and know that this is true on the twotter as well) that you shouldnt really be landing with fuel in the tips.[quote]

I think you are 100% correct. I dont have my POH with me right now, I believe this is also stated there in the ammendments.

sounder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sounder »

Check tanks for water before fueling then re-check after fueling.

Mooseman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mooseman »

Don't turn that selector valve without fuel in the tips. If it has the old rubber gasket, it needs fuel for lubrication or you may tear the gasket which means a wet left shoulder!

Vx.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vx. »

Make sure the tip tank selector is off when you are filling them. Did that once.
Also I think the machine fly's kinda crappy with them full, mostly in turns.
Like the other folks said, If no one can remember when they were used last check to see that they are clean and dry and serviceable.

I'm sorry that you are going to have to sit in the plane for so long.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”