Helicopter flying job. Trained on BH06

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Midnight Sun Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Helicopter flying job. Trained on BH06

Post by Midnight Sun Flyer »

If you know of any tips please send me a- pm
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Midnight Sun Flyer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to push it, and when to back off.
. Yeager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qstkil0a ... re=related
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Fix-wing to Helicopter flying job.

Post by ahramin »

How much IFR experience do you have?

Midnight Sun Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

ahramin wrote:How much IFR experience do you have?
I have about 1000 hours IFR but didn't keep up my rating, Most of my fix wing time is VFR Low level.

If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to push it, and when to back off.
. Yeager

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

With that much IFR experience I would think you are very employable on multi crew fling wings. I'd go visit VIH, Cougar, Shell, Helijet, CHC.

Midnight Sun Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

ahramin wrote:With that much IFR experience I would think you are very employable on multi crew fling wings. I'd go visit VIH, Cougar, Shell, Helijet, CHC.
Thanks, hopefully I will get back on a Turbo Beaver or Turbine otter this season but if that don't happen I will have to consider all my options, I Love the Helicopters but would prefer a VFR job and I know that there is not a lot around. will I may have to renew my IFR next winter? been away from it for a couple years and can't wait to get back in the air.

. Yeager

rotorhead350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorhead350 »

I would try Great Slave Helicopters, i have a friend who was in your position 3-4 years ago and had a few thousand hours fixed-wing bush work then converted to rotary and was hired on. They started him out on the 206, and he is now rated on the 500 and AS350. Best of luck!!!!!

Midnight Sun Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

rotorhead350 wrote:I would try Great Slave Helicopters, i have a friend who was in your position 3-4 years ago and had a few thousand hours fixed-wing bush work then converted to rotary and was hired on. They started him out on the 206, and he is now rated on the 500 and AS350. Best of luck!!!!!

Thank you for the info.

. Yeager

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

I've heard of it happening. The big thing is that for helicopters, the flying isn't really comparable to anything in the fixed wing world. 10,000 hours flying oil drums in a Beaver or Caravan doesn't mean much when they are being slung underneath or picked off a mountainside someplace. When VIH still had the medevac contract in Prince Rupert, there was a guy there who had been flying 757's for a number of years and made the switch. He was copilot for a short period in the Bell 222 before moving to the right hand seat. More than anything, having the right attitude is most important. Another guy went sour pretty quick because he figured his fixed wing time made him better or more important than other guys with less TT but more flingwing time. Good operators will see the value however, especially in the IFR time because that is one place a lot of heli guys don't have much experience.

Midnight Sun Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Youngback wrote:I've heard of it happening. The big thing is that for helicopters, the flying isn't really comparable to anything in the fixed wing world. 10,000 hours flying oil drums in a Beaver or Caravan doesn't mean much when they are being slung underneath or picked off a mountainside someplace. When VIH still had the medevac contract in Prince Rupert, there was a guy there who had been flying 757's for a number of years and made the switch. He was copilot for a short period in the Bell 222 before moving to the right hand seat. More than anything, having the right attitude is most important. Another guy went sour pretty quick because he figured his fixed wing time made him better or more important than other guys with less TT but more flingwing time. Good operators will see the value however, especially in the IFR time because that is one place a lot of heli guys don't have much experience.
Thanks for that, I don't have a lot of IFR time about 1000 hours only, and the only drums of fuel I hauled worth speaking about was in the Twin otter and Single otters a few hundred hours at that for sure and I enjoyed it. As for work I believe I would prefer flying the Turbine Otter, and maybe someday when I retire will buy an R-44 for scooting around in, do a little fishing.

. Yeager

Return to “Helicopter Forum”