Air Canada Interviews

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Canada Interviews

Post by yycflyguy »

evilhomer wrote:I do not know anybody who has been called again in this hiring wave. But if it is any comfort: Air Canada has hired some great poeple that I know; but they have hired one individual who I have worked with and this guy will throw his baby girl underneath a fast moving truck and tell people how great of a person he is for making a perfect throw. SO if a guy like him can get through; then the many professional pilots out there will without a doubt get their slice of the pie.

Good Luck to all!!
Perhaps bad mouthing former colleagues led to the original PFO? This kind of trait normally stands out in an interview.

Free advice: Stick with telling the company what great people they already have and keep things positive here and in an interview.
---------- ADS -----------

vortac
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vortac »

It seems to me that in the latest round that if you are not getting a call within 1 week of interview for a medical, then you are probably in the pile that no one wants to be in.

The People's Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The People's Pilot »

From what I hear they've been running interviews three times a week since the end of June, and more scheduled for next week.

Maybe they're piling up candidates before making a decision?

Any word on groundschools for August?

onspeed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onspeed »

vortac wrote:It seems to me that in the latest round that if you are not getting a call within 1 week of interview for a medical, then you are probably in the pile that no one wants to be in.
That was my impression. Interviewed early March and PFO'd late May, so about 8 weeks to PFO for myself. Although i had the impression that they were not building a pool this time, everyone I know who was hired had a medical within a week of the interview. Anyone who interviewed early March \ late April get hired?

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

onspeed wrote:
vortac wrote:It seems to me that in the latest round that if you are not getting a call within 1 week of interview for a medical, then you are probably in the pile that no one wants to be in.
That was my impression. Interviewed early March and PFO'd late May, so about 8 weeks to PFO for myself. Although i had the impression that they were not building a pool this time, everyone I know who was hired had a medical within a week of the interview. Anyone who interviewed early March \ late April get hired?

Sorry to hear that.

Out of curiosity, how are they contacting people for interviews? Via email? Via phone calls?

How much advance notice do you get, and are they flexible on interviews if you, for example, are out of the country on rotation for work.

Good luck to all.

Joint-venture
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joint-venture »

Contacted for interview by email. I got about a weeks notice and they gave several options for interview slots. Did a medical soon after (phone call). I would like to know how many people have gotten the dreaded letter after doing a medical? Been a few weeks and still waiting to hear. Rumour has it they are giving Medicals to more candidates these days. Thoughts?

Sea2Sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sea2Sky »

Hey JV,

You're almost there. If there is no issue with the medical or references, you normally get the call about two weeks before the course starts (courses start on a Monday, so calls go out on a Thursday or Friday, 2 weeks prior). This gives you about only 1 or 2 days to give two weeks notice to the current employer.

Hint: your references will get calls about 3 or 4 days before the Friday "yes" call goes out.

Why's it doing that? No, THAT!
FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

Also did the medical... No word yet in form of letter or call. It's been 3 weeks so far. Obviously not on the July 25 course.....

crooked timber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crooked timber »

Sea2Sky wrote:If there is no issue with the medical or references, you normally get the call about two weeks before the course starts (courses start on a Monday, so calls go out on a Thursday or Friday, 2 weeks prior). This gives you about only 1 or 2 days to give two weeks notice to the current employer.

Hint: your references will get calls about 3 or 4 days before the Friday "yes" call goes out.
ymmv. i got the email for an interview on a wed. i responded indicating that my first choice was for an interview date was something like three weeks later, the next day i got the confirmation email saying my interview was booked for the following wed (ie in 6 days which might be tough to swing depending on your schedule/location).

interviewed the following wed. called for medical the day after(thurs). did the medical the day after(fri). they called my employer for a reference the next business day(mon). during the interview they tell you to expect a 6-8 week wait for a response. i ended up getting the call exactly one month after my interview; my course start date was one month after that so, thankfully, i could give plenty of notice to my employer.

good luck to all

Dhc6to8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air Canada Interviews

Post by Dhc6to8 »

Thanks for the info timber,
I am just wondering why companies expect or demand or assume (pick one) why a one month (or less) leave of notice is okay... I had to show a contract once to a potential new employer after passing the interview and selection that I had a contractual obligation to 4 months notice before I could begin working at the new company. This was unacceptable to the new company and I declined to accept their job offer (at the new company) because I felt that the current employer had treated me well, provided me with an excellent income with good terms and conditions and deserved to have the contract honoured..... the new company's HR personnel told me that any young guy or gal would spring on an offer from them... I said that I would too, but I have a obligation to return the decency to my (at that time) current employer. What got me the most was that during the interview I was probed and prodded to test my conviction and solidarity to my employer; and, that by wanting to fullfil my contractual obligations I was demonstrating this but it was falling on deaf ears... needless to say, I declined this new (unnamed company) offer of employment. They expected commitment and yet ask you at the same time to drop all previous engagements to match their program. I hope this is not the case at AC. Will AC give you the time to fullfil any contractual obligations (say 4 months of notice of leave - for example?) with current employers before moving over to the red team, or does AC expect you to drop the ball and run to them?
opinions anybody?
6to8

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

They are always respectful to current employment commitments and try not to "pillage" employees from one operator. Calls have been made to CPs/HR departments so as not to disrupt their business. Seniority is everything at AC so the only person you are hurting by delaying your course is yourself. They will respect your requirement to give 2 weeks notice or complete a contract (within reason).

thunderbolt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thunderbolt »

i had a interview 6 weeks ago and have not got a PFO or a Medical? i have another job offer that has a huge bond so should i hold out for AC or take the job?

No Conflict
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by No Conflict »

Anyone have any info on the medical? Standard eye-pee-ear or in depth with blood work and such?

thanks!

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

pee test, blood tests, ecg, blood press, hearing test, Lung capacity test, physical, eye tests as well.

hnl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hnl »

thunderbolt wrote:i had a interview 6 weeks ago and have not got a PFO or a Medical? i have another job offer that has a huge bond so should i hold out for AC or take the job?
Huge bonds are disgusting. That particular company should be boycotted just on principal.

beech girl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beech girl »

For the ones that had an interview during the 2 last weeks, anyone got called for a medical yet?

Best luck to all

BG

Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wheels »

What's the difference between a company that starts you out at respectable wage but requires that you sign a training bond so that you don't pocket the PPC and leave..... and a company that doesn't make you sign but starts you out at a ridiculously low wage for two years?
Everyone says that AC doesn't require a training bond but they do.
Instead of making you sign a promissory note they just go ahead and deduct it from your pay check for the first two years. Am I wrong?

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Everyone says that AC doesn't require a training bond but they do.
Instead of making you sign a promissory note they just go ahead and deduct it from your pay check for the first two years. Am I wrong?
Correct.

I would just add that culpability on AC new hire pay be shared with ACPA as they negotiate and approve how salary is to be distributed.

The "other" hidden training bond with AC is how pilots are married to their DB pension without portability.

HuD 91gt
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HuD 91gt »

Editted

Joint-venture
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joint-venture »

FYI Interviewed late June. Contacted for a medical 2.5 weeks later. Called last week for a course August 22nd. Super stoked! Anyone else get a call?

Return to “Air Canada”