Headset Question
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
-
guyindasky
- Rank 1

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:51 pm
Headset Question
What is everybody using these days? I'm torn between the Telex Airman 750 and 850.
Coming from turboprops I've used a Bose X the last couple of years and loved it.
Whats the noise level like up front in the NG?
Coming from turboprops I've used a Bose X the last couple of years and loved it.
Whats the noise level like up front in the NG?
Re: Headset Question
The NG is very loud up front. I have been using the Telex 750 for years and it does a great job. I wear one side off so I can hear my partner. I find I have to turn up the volume more than say someone with an earbud type, but works just fine.
Re: Headset Question
I borrowed a 750 but didn't like it. I own a 5x5 pro3 and hate it so I'm about to buy the 850- which I have tried and like it a lot.
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Re: Headset Question
had the 750, then switched to 850 a few years ago. 850 offers good noise canceling and is light with no clamping force on cranium. for t/o and landing segments, one ear piece is usually off to hear cohort. during cruise both are on. i find the noise canceling reduces fatigue somewhat. fits easily into flightbag and no batteries. develops small fault line in hairdo, that's the only negative.
Re: Headset Question
Exactly as Moe said above. I think the 850 is the best bang for the buck too when looking at comparable products. Telex was always good to me for warranty and non-warranty issues with the last headset, a Telex 5x5. It had almost 4000 hours on it but my hearing has definitely been deteriorating from sitting in the NG so I wanted some protection. I use both ear cups as much as possible now.
-
guyindasky
- Rank 1

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:51 pm
Re: Headset Question
Thanks for the great info. Looks like I'll be grabbing an 850 for myself. I'm very excited to be joining the team August 1.
-
Old Dog Flying
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1259
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 pm
Re: Headset Question
I have two sets of Lightspeed Zulus in the little Grumman. They are light weight, comfortable, great noise reduction..and in the noisy little beast, they are the best bang for the buck
-
Jastapilot
- Rank 8

- Posts: 832
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 pm
-
Tiny Voices
- Rank 4

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:46 pm
Re: Headset Question
The NG flight deck is right at that level where sustained exposure can result in permanent hearing damage. I'd say if it you find it comfortable to wear, just rock the Bose before you make the decision to spend money on something you may not like or need. I've tried the QC 15 with the uFlymike with good results. I find it light weight and comfortable, with great noise cancelling and clear communications. Wearing it, I had the volume turned all the way down on my audio panel. Only problem I found with the setup is that the mike attaches to the left ear cup, so you have to route the cable in front of you or behind your back, and the boom arm is a little short for when you need to cock an ear cup off to hear the guy/gal next to you.
Re: Headset Question
i agree with tiny voices. I found the 850 and the sennheiser 46 as well did nothing much for noise protection and I think there would be minimal fatique reduction with these. I went with the new bose a20, although quite expensive. Its noise reduction is as good as the sennhauser 25 i used to use on the RJ. Its battery life is incredible. bluetooth works well with my iphone. There is some clamping pain on occasion with the a20-on the top of the head. If I change the position slightly it goes away. I compared the a20 to their previous bose headset and the a20 is quite a bit lighter. Until i get some thinner sungIasses, I wear my sunglasses on top of the ear cups as it hurts when worn under the cups. i can wear glasses under the cups for T/O and LDG with one cup off one ear, and it starts to hurt maybe after 5min.
I had the same issue with sennhauser 25 however.
Most guys I can hear with the cups on both ears.
i am happy with it as I don't finish work with my head ringing. Big reduction in fatique-esp if you do a lot of OT
Update: I figured out my sunglasses ...no problem now, no pain at all
I had the same issue with sennhauser 25 however.
Most guys I can hear with the cups on both ears.
i am happy with it as I don't finish work with my head ringing. Big reduction in fatique-esp if you do a lot of OT
Update: I figured out my sunglasses ...no problem now, no pain at all
Last edited by piggy on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- saltypilot
- Rank 2

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:56 am
Re: Headset Question
I think I'm going to stick with my bose x for a while and see how it goes. Also looking forward to joining the team Aug 1. See you there.
Salty
Salty
Re: Headset Question
FWIW I've been using the Sennheiser 25-KA for the whole year and a half I've been here and I still love it. Light weight, doesn't get in the way of glasses, I find it very comfortable and the noise cancelling is great. Every time I let the other guy try it he can't believe how much noise it reduces. I have four rechargeable AA batteries and that seems to always last me a 4 or 5 day pairing.
Re: Headset Question
What;s the cheapest place anyone has found a new (not refurb) Telex 850?
-
guyindasky
- Rank 1

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:51 pm
Re: Headset Question
This seems to be the cheapest I've found. $399
http://www.theaviationwarehouse.com/Tel ... 17-000.htm
Don't know much about these guys though. Ebay had a few for $420 but hosed you on the shipping. Most of the other Canadian Suppliers started at $480.
http://www.theaviationwarehouse.com/Tel ... 17-000.htm
Don't know much about these guys though. Ebay had a few for $420 but hosed you on the shipping. Most of the other Canadian Suppliers started at $480.
Re: Headset Question
Well, ....being retired, I can offer my Telex 750 for any reasonable bids.
Re: Headset Question
I notice a few of you mention taking one side of your headset off to hear you cohort in the cockpit. Doesn't the NG have an intercom? Just curious as the only time I have expose an ear in the EMB is if the other guy/gal has their headset completely off.
Re: Headset Question
Like all older Boeing's it has a switched intercom but is not used.bcflyer wrote:Doesn't the NG have an intercom?


