Where do you want to end up?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

What sector, if you could, of aviation would you like to end up in?

Airlines, Large Cargo
40%
Flight instruction
1%
Floatplane, Bush
5%
Fire Bombing
20%
Medevac
3%
Charters
4%
Aerial applications (Ag spraying, Aerial Inspections, ect)
1%
Corporate
21%
Other
5%

Total votes: 151

gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

:smt087
---------- ADS -----------

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

Portfolio Manager, 1M$/year salary and whatever Doc said without the death part of it...

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
snaproll20
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by snaproll20 »

Guess you missed out Transport Canada as an option.
Where do you go to study "useless" and "dishonest"?

snaproll20
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by snaproll20 »

guess you missed out the option of Transport Canada
Where do you go to study "useless' and "dishonest"?

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

Anybody who flies has got to want to make it to the big ones. How can you not say the Airlines. I think a lot of those responses are BS. :!:
Medevac? Charters? Aerial application? HAHAHA (It's like saying I played hockey all my life with the goal of someday,somehow making all the way to the provincial Junior C league) :lol:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" Guess you missed out Transport Canada as an option.
Where do you go to study "useless" and "dishonest"? "

Snaproll:

You always should go right to the top if you really want to get the best of any organization, in the case of TC the answer would be the person behind the desk in the office of DGCA, I can't really comment on the useless part, but for dishonest you will be in the correct place for a mentor. Then again maybe dishonest is not the correct description either, maybe I could suggest " moral degenerate?"

Ottawa has become the moral cesspool of Canada, a true banana republic capital in the northern hemisphere.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Corporate Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Corporate Pilot »

Other: Space.

But I'm too old and near retirement.

ZLIN 142C
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ZLIN 142C »

This is a great poll. And the responses are a bit surprising, too. Anyway, Aerial Fire Suppression is, IMHO, the most interesting flying in civilian aviation. I'd love to wind up doing that in the summers. Now, if I could just spend the rest of the year as a test pilot for Scaled Composites. . . :D

Understanding begets harmony; in seeking the first you will find the last.
Corporate Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Corporate Pilot »

flynbutcher wrote:Anybody who flies has got to want to make it to the big ones. How can you not say the Airlines.
Why on earth would you want to be a bus driver (although today its more like operating an electric train) when you can be a chauffeur!? ;)

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

flynbutcher wrote:Anybody who flies has got to want to make it to the big ones. How can you not say the Airlines. I think a lot of those responses are BS. :!:
Medevac? Charters? Aerial application? HAHAHA (It's like saying I played hockey all my life with the goal of someday,somehow making all the way to the provincial Junior C league) :lol:
Personally I never, ever want to end up in an airline. Some want to fly the big iron (obviously you do), and thats great. For me, however, driving the bus (albeit a very large and fast bus) from point A to point B is not of interest at all. I like flying that is slightly more interesting than taking off, tracking an airway, and landing, over and over and over and over again.

Different strokes for different folks. To each their own.

Planes

Cry of the Wind
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cry of the Wind »

Turanga Leela wrote:
Cry of the Wind wrote: What's wrong with medevac?...
If you have to ask, well.....
And remember, not all medevacs are done by rotary.
I know they're not all rotor, I know a guy who flys medevac fixed wing out of YYZ. The rotor wing side seems alright though, not sure what your problem with the fixed side is...but I still don't even have a full 60 hours to my name so I'm not too familiar with any operations in the real world yet...so I have to ask soo...

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" This is a great poll. And the responses are a bit surprising, too. Anyway, Aerial Fire Suppression is, IMHO, the most interesting flying in civilian aviation. "

Zlin, fire bombing is interesting but for pure flying skills Ag. flying beats it by miles. :mrgreen:

And when you fly Ag aircraft you don't have to sit at the airfield all day waiting for the crops to catch fire so you can do something. :mrgreen:

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I don't care what I'm flying, as it's clean enough to wear a white shirt, tie, uniform jacket (with hat) man!

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Dog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dog »

flynbutcher wrote:Anybody who flies has got to want to make it to the big ones. How can you not say the Airlines. I think a lot of those responses are BS. :!:
I'll bite.
I know people who quit Westjet to fly the Martin Mars and left AC to fly the Goose. I'll quote him "AC can kiss my ass" (first goose flight).

I'll put it this way. There are four Gooses and two Mars flying comercially in Canada and how many airliners? In fact, it used to be that more men had walked on the moon than flown the Mars in water bobmer configuration. You tell me who is in the NHL and who is in the minors. 8)

Kurwa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kurwa »

With all due respect to every individual's career aspirations, the last thing I would want is an airline job. If I could somehow switch back and forth between a beaver on floats and a nice corporate job, that would be the cat's ass! (No offence to the Cat of course!). Unfortunately, I don't see the float part happening...ah well, there has to be something to dream about!

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Flynbutcher, not to blow my own horn, but I wouldn't ever want to fly airlines. In fact, I can't count the number of airlines guys that have told me, if they could have my job they would quit theirs in a heart beat.

Can't really see the excitement in fly from point A to point B and never getting beyond a rate one turn.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
zero
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by zero »

Don't be so sure "Kurwa", the floats thing can happen in a corporate gig. There are a few Turbo Beavers and Caravans flitting around the coast full of the upper echelons in various local industries. A good gig indeed!!!

ZLIN 142C
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ZLIN 142C »

Cat Driver wrote: And when you fly Ag aircraft you don't have to sit at the airfield all day waiting for the crops to catch fire so you can do something. :mrgreen:
Cat
What can I say? Well put. :lol:

In any case, if I want any realistic chance of a fire suppression career, I'd probably best spend some time in Ag aircraft. So hopefully I'll get a chance to find out first-hand just how good it is.

There's no "fingers crossed" emoticon, is there?

Understanding begets harmony; in seeking the first you will find the last.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

CLguy wrote:Can't really see the excitement in fly from point A to point B and never getting beyond a rate one turn.

I guess it's a little like comparing the monotomy, monogamy and stability of marriage to living the excitement and inherent risks of a swinging, womanizing, sexual promiscuous lifestyle (stampeding to the orgy).

I like excitement in my life too, so I collect stamps. :wink:

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
DHQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHQ »

I became a pilot because I like flying, so becoming a button pusher at the front of some big airplane I suspect would get boring really quickly for me. Hopefully I can find some real flying that I can be happy with, although I can't say I'll never end up doing the button pushing thing.

Return to “General Comments”