Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
-
OceansEdge
- Rank 4

- Posts: 288
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm
Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
http://www.kare11.com/news/national/art ... attendant-
Dreadful headline for an issue much more serious than they want to imply. It really downplays the seriousness of really unruly passengers
Dreadful headline for an issue much more serious than they want to imply. It really downplays the seriousness of really unruly passengers
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
I like peanuts. I remember the story of two of them sitting in plane and one of them was a salted.
I suppose that was the case here with the FA. Maybe the reporter doing the story liked them too, and saw what a tragedy this was ….throwing snacks around when all over the world there are thousands of people going to bed hungry.
Your concern is well founded.. This has to be the worst and most serious case of an unruly passenger in the history of aviation. I hope you are holding up well and able to get on with your life after being exposed to this terrible bit of news. Who knows what that degenerate scoundrel had in mind. Maybe he was going to force the other passengers to actually eat airline snacks. Or maybe demand that the airline stop add-ons for pillows and headsets, or demand that he be given first aid for his cramped legs. Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of an addict, in the throws of withdrawl.
I expect besides your noble efforts of informing us of how much more serious an issue this is , then we could have ever imagined, you will do the right thing and demand that all future airline passengers be subject to additional security check for nicotine addiction, and a full background criminal check. We don’t want any more felons in the passenger section of the aircraft unless they are employed by the airline or TRSA. Particularily ones who have mastered that little known art of the lethal flinging of snacks.
I suppose that was the case here with the FA. Maybe the reporter doing the story liked them too, and saw what a tragedy this was ….throwing snacks around when all over the world there are thousands of people going to bed hungry.
Your concern is well founded.. This has to be the worst and most serious case of an unruly passenger in the history of aviation. I hope you are holding up well and able to get on with your life after being exposed to this terrible bit of news. Who knows what that degenerate scoundrel had in mind. Maybe he was going to force the other passengers to actually eat airline snacks. Or maybe demand that the airline stop add-ons for pillows and headsets, or demand that he be given first aid for his cramped legs. Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of an addict, in the throws of withdrawl.
I expect besides your noble efforts of informing us of how much more serious an issue this is , then we could have ever imagined, you will do the right thing and demand that all future airline passengers be subject to additional security check for nicotine addiction, and a full background criminal check. We don’t want any more felons in the passenger section of the aircraft unless they are employed by the airline or TRSA. Particularily ones who have mastered that little known art of the lethal flinging of snacks.
Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Trey Kule, there is no reason for you to be so ignorant to this situation. The headline is a bit much, but when you read the story it is very clear this passengers was in violation of federal law (did not follow the directions of the flight attendants). We have the same law here in Canada. I would put this at a level II/III ICM incident. The Flight Attendants did the right think in having the authorities meet the aircraft.
In the interest of CRM, perhaps you could have a bit more respect for the role that Cabin Safety Professionals play.
In the interest of CRM, perhaps you could have a bit more respect for the role that Cabin Safety Professionals play.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
OMG!!!!!!!... A number 2 or 3 incident. That is serious. Particularily when you put it in roman numerals and tell us it is against federal regulations. I dont know what I could have been thinking not to recognize how serious this peanut throwing, FA defier was.
I almost had a number 2 incident in the cockpit once. It came from forgetting I was getting old and eating way to many bean burritos the night before. If it had developed as I thought it just might, I really did not want to go the whole CRM route and ask for help from the FO or FA's. Instead I just figited and squirmed. I hope figiting and squirming is not against federal regulations. I guess you are quite correct that CRM should always be considered. Should it happen again, I will certainly ask for help. If anyone balks at lending a helping hand, so to speak, I will remind them of your chastisement of me for being ignorant of this most serious issue.
I like acronyms too. Well, except for trying to spell the word. Level II/III. CRM. Wow.. that is definitely the talk of a professional. Are the cutsey, clever little jokes part of professional cabin safety? I do hope someone , somewhere is working hard on the SMS and trying to ban snacks and peanuts from future flights..They are definitely a flight hazard.
You can be certain, now that you have gone to all this trouble to point me in the right direction, to take things seriously and sit up and fly straight, I will endeavor to view these things in the approriate light......but can I still like peanuts?
to be clear, I want you to know I understand and agree completely with the first poster...bad hairlines...serious issue. I myself, suffer from a bad headline. Nothing I can do about it . Started losing my hair years ago. I tried Rogaine for a while, but I could not get used to the taste, and it made my tongue all furry. So I understand what a serious issue all this is.
I almost had a number 2 incident in the cockpit once. It came from forgetting I was getting old and eating way to many bean burritos the night before. If it had developed as I thought it just might, I really did not want to go the whole CRM route and ask for help from the FO or FA's. Instead I just figited and squirmed. I hope figiting and squirming is not against federal regulations. I guess you are quite correct that CRM should always be considered. Should it happen again, I will certainly ask for help. If anyone balks at lending a helping hand, so to speak, I will remind them of your chastisement of me for being ignorant of this most serious issue.
I like acronyms too. Well, except for trying to spell the word. Level II/III. CRM. Wow.. that is definitely the talk of a professional. Are the cutsey, clever little jokes part of professional cabin safety? I do hope someone , somewhere is working hard on the SMS and trying to ban snacks and peanuts from future flights..They are definitely a flight hazard.
You can be certain, now that you have gone to all this trouble to point me in the right direction, to take things seriously and sit up and fly straight, I will endeavor to view these things in the approriate light......but can I still like peanuts?
to be clear, I want you to know I understand and agree completely with the first poster...bad hairlines...serious issue. I myself, suffer from a bad headline. Nothing I can do about it . Started losing my hair years ago. I tried Rogaine for a while, but I could not get used to the taste, and it made my tongue all furry. So I understand what a serious issue all this is.
Last edited by trey kule on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
20 years in jail for throwing nuts??? What a f*ck*g country!!! 
Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Must be China, Iran, or Venezuela???Expat wrote:20 years in jail for throwing nuts??? What a f*ck*g country!!!
Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Trey kule, sorry to hear about you almost having a "number 2" incident in the cockpit, that flight must have really stunk, did the F/O have to don a gas mask for the duration of the trip?
Don't be too hard on YYCcrew, they make some valid points, from the details given in the news article that definitely would have been a level 2 or even a level 3 of interference. What would make it a level 3 of interference are the facts, "Violent, argumentative, intimidating or disorderly behavior, including harassment". "Physical or sexual assault with intent to injure". Although at first, it may sound humorous (man attacks F/A with peanuts), I am sure the F/A involved did not find it funny at all. What if he had hit her in the eye? Passengers need to know that they cannot get away with such bad behavior. We are obliged to inform the Captain when even a level 1 interference happens. I am happy to report that the pilots are usually very helpful when ever we need their help.
Don't be too hard on YYCcrew, they make some valid points, from the details given in the news article that definitely would have been a level 2 or even a level 3 of interference. What would make it a level 3 of interference are the facts, "Violent, argumentative, intimidating or disorderly behavior, including harassment". "Physical or sexual assault with intent to injure". Although at first, it may sound humorous (man attacks F/A with peanuts), I am sure the F/A involved did not find it funny at all. What if he had hit her in the eye? Passengers need to know that they cannot get away with such bad behavior. We are obliged to inform the Captain when even a level 1 interference happens. I am happy to report that the pilots are usually very helpful when ever we need their help.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
This is a good example of what happens when you let retarded control freaks take over an industry. I don't know why people even fly commercialy anymore.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Absolutely!AEROBAT wrote:This is a good example of what happens when you let retarded control freaks take over an industry. I don't know why people even fly commercialy anymore.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
I came across this little gem earlier and thought you might enjoy it.
Scroll through all of the pictures, (20) and commentary.
WHEN FLYING USED TO BE FUN
http://www.life.com/gallery/38402/image ... 48#index/0
My,,,,,,,,,,,how things have changed!!!
Scroll through all of the pictures, (20) and commentary.
WHEN FLYING USED TO BE FUN
http://www.life.com/gallery/38402/image ... 48#index/0
My,,,,,,,,,,,how things have changed!!!
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
I wonder what the passengers sitting around this jerk off would have to say about the situation? Must be a great feeling for some women and her kid having to sit right beside an unruly mouthpiece a..hole acting out because the airline doesn't want him sucking on his nicotine addict pacifier.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Being a pilot is definitely more dangerous
http://www.local10.com/news/28691181/detail.html
http://www.local10.com/news/28691181/detail.html
Brothers Arrested, Pilot Hurt After Fight On Plane At MIA - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Cabin Safety Professionals? Really? Wow.....YYCcrew wrote: perhaps you could have a bit more respect for the role that Cabin Safety Professionals play.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
For goodness sakes, it shouldn't matter if it is a peanut or a knife. No one should have to stand for anyone throwing anything in anger at work.
Poor guy can't make it through a flight without a pacifier? Grow up, drive or stay home.
Poor guy can't make it through a flight without a pacifier? Grow up, drive or stay home.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
++++ 1 !!!!bandaid wrote:For goodness sakes, it shouldn't matter if it is a peanut or a knife. No one should have to stand for anyone throwing anything in anger at work.
Poor guy can't make it through a flight without a pacifier? Grow up, drive or stay home.
-
OceansEdge
- Rank 4

- Posts: 288
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Exactly!bandaid wrote:For goodness sakes, it shouldn't matter if it is a peanut or a knife. No one should have to stand for anyone throwing anything in anger at work.
Poor guy can't make it through a flight without a pacifier? Grow up, drive or stay home.
We're seeing more and more cases of 'air rage', at the very least it makes other passengers uncomfortable, at the worst it endangers the flight - it costs governments and airlines and despite people being charged, convicted, fined and ordered to pay restitution the chances of governments or airlines ever being able to collect is slim and non. Despite that flights still divert to put a disorderly drunk off, people are still charged, and the fines are still levied - because it IS a serious issue, and the charge of interfering with a flight crew member carries serious penalties - as it should.
Stupid headlines like this make the whole thing sound like a bloody joke and is irritatingly irresponsible of the copy editor who came up with it. When you read the article - the throwing peanuts was only the beginning of the incident. The headline makes it sound like he's going to jail for 21 years for being a prat, as opposed to facing a possible maximum sentence for being a threat to aviation safety. IMO it does a disservice to the industry, and the traveling public.
I haven't actually asked any cabin crews, but I can imagine, that as PITA as CATSA and Homeland Security are - I can bet there are days when they're quite glad that someone is out there confiscating pocket knives and knitting needles.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
So you're a judge and you have to sentence a guy for throwing a knife at an FA. How long are you going to send him to jail for? And you're going to sentence the guy for throwing peanuts for the same amount of time? Come on really?bandaid wrote:For goodness sakes, it shouldn't matter if it is a peanut or a knife. No one should have to stand for anyone throwing anything in anger at work.
Poor guy can't make it through a flight without a pacifier? Grow up, drive or stay home.
I do agree with your last sentence though.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
No one and I repeat, no one should have to feel threatened doing there job. Who's to say that the peanut tossing wouldn't have escallated into some action more violent? The headlines would then have read that what started as a minor peanut tossing incident turn more violent due to the fact that flight crews did not take the necessary precautions by terminating this persons flight.
No I am not a judge but I applaude the flight crew for taking the stand they did. They may have saved someone from a much worse injury. I imagine(okay I know) that there are laws regarding the safety of flights, the penalties for the actions would more than likely reflect the severity of the assault.
No I am not a judge but I applaude the flight crew for taking the stand they did. They may have saved someone from a much worse injury. I imagine(okay I know) that there are laws regarding the safety of flights, the penalties for the actions would more than likely reflect the severity of the assault.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
That's quite the headline.bandaid wrote:The headlines would then have read that what started as a minor peanut tossing incident turn more violent due to the fact that flight crews did not take the necessary precautions by terminating this persons flight.
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
I totally agree the cabin crew took the right actions here, and the guy is clearly a knob but.. 20 years in jail for getting drunk and stupid on a plane? Just ban him from flying and let him take a boat next time.
- Beefitarian
- Top Poster

- Posts: 6618
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
- Location: A couple of meters away from others.
Sure it seems harsh but especially in media stories, if they talk about it like that maybe the next guy that's been entitled to act that way will rethink and take a nap.
Also I know the gubmint is out to get us with their mind reading sattalites but I don't think anyone's going to get 20 years hard time over a one time thing. Dude must have been known or something.
Also I know the gubmint is out to get us with their mind reading sattalites but I don't think anyone's going to get 20 years hard time over a one time thing. Dude must have been known or something.
-
Stu Pidasso
- Rank 5

- Posts: 346
- Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 pm
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
In the interest of CRM, perhaps you could have a bit more respect for the role that Cabin Safety Professionals play.
Thanks for the laugh, YYC Crew. A few week course, does not make; a "Safety Professional."
Ticket agents and Rampies take an equivalent (length) course.
Graduate High School at the end of June, "Safety Professional" by the end of July?
Thanks for the laugh, YYC Crew. A few week course, does not make; a "Safety Professional."
Ticket agents and Rampies take an equivalent (length) course.
Graduate High School at the end of June, "Safety Professional" by the end of July?
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
now Stu. dont be hard on them. My dear old sainted mother also wore an apron when she was working in the kitchen. I wonder if that made her a cabin safety professional?
As some here seemed to take this whole thing quite seriously, I should clarify that my posts were tongue in cheek becasue I felt that the threat posed by the peanut throwing addict was really a rather mundane example of the kind of thing CSP's have to deal with, and someone making a big issue of it was taking themselves a bit to seriously. I must seiously apologize for not recognizing the gravity of the situation.
More and more people are flying every day. And society seems to be in a bit of a violent trend in general. It is part of the job. Not a good part, but nonetheless a part of the job. Kudos to those that deal with these challanges. And I mean that sincerely.
Now I hope that people will understand that I take every incident like this, no matter how trivial, very seriously, and I can look forward to having my coffee priveleges reinstated so that I will not become violent as a result of caffeine withdrawls.
As some here seemed to take this whole thing quite seriously, I should clarify that my posts were tongue in cheek becasue I felt that the threat posed by the peanut throwing addict was really a rather mundane example of the kind of thing CSP's have to deal with, and someone making a big issue of it was taking themselves a bit to seriously. I must seiously apologize for not recognizing the gravity of the situation.
More and more people are flying every day. And society seems to be in a bit of a violent trend in general. It is part of the job. Not a good part, but nonetheless a part of the job. Kudos to those that deal with these challanges. And I mean that sincerely.
Now I hope that people will understand that I take every incident like this, no matter how trivial, very seriously, and I can look forward to having my coffee priveleges reinstated so that I will not become violent as a result of caffeine withdrawls.
Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
Ok Trey, consider your coffee privileges reinstated..
I see that this side topic comes up every once in a while. Flight Attendants being referred to as "Professional's" and some Pilots get all up in arms over this, and spit venom, and say that "a couple weeks, after high school, etc etc".
I know that the training for a Flight Attendant is shorter than that of a Pilot, most FA Initial courses are minimum 4 weeks. But would you not agree that like Pilots, their learning continues with experience? also, regardless of training length, because frankly, that is a moot point, they are responsible for a lot, and play a key role in ensuring the safety of the aircraft and it's passengers?
Minus flying hours, how many ground school hours does it take to have a CPL, MULTI, IFR??? less than an F/A spends in the classroom. In many other countries, F/A's are actually licensed, similarly to pilots. Although not the same in Canada and the training standards from TC are the same.
Just do your F/A a favor and grant them the respect they deserve. I think some people would be shocked to learn how much F/A's actually learn about their jobs. I know many pilots that sit through portions of the F/A training for the hell of it and they are blown away, and impressed.
Thanks for reading everyone.
I see that this side topic comes up every once in a while. Flight Attendants being referred to as "Professional's" and some Pilots get all up in arms over this, and spit venom, and say that "a couple weeks, after high school, etc etc".
I know that the training for a Flight Attendant is shorter than that of a Pilot, most FA Initial courses are minimum 4 weeks. But would you not agree that like Pilots, their learning continues with experience? also, regardless of training length, because frankly, that is a moot point, they are responsible for a lot, and play a key role in ensuring the safety of the aircraft and it's passengers?
Minus flying hours, how many ground school hours does it take to have a CPL, MULTI, IFR??? less than an F/A spends in the classroom. In many other countries, F/A's are actually licensed, similarly to pilots. Although not the same in Canada and the training standards from TC are the same.
Just do your F/A a favor and grant them the respect they deserve. I think some people would be shocked to learn how much F/A's actually learn about their jobs. I know many pilots that sit through portions of the F/A training for the hell of it and they are blown away, and impressed.
Thanks for reading everyone.
- cdnpilot77
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm
Re: Throwing peanuts at FA? ....bad headline, serious issue
What if the F/A or a nearby pax were allergic to peanuts? That can be a very serious a fatal allergy. Seems like it would be just as bad as throwing a knife to me, no one should have to put up with Sh*t like that at work or anywhere for that matter, ever!!Bede wrote:So you're a judge and you have to sentence a guy for throwing a knife at an FA. How long are you going to send him to jail for? And you're going to sentence the guy for throwing peanuts for the same amount of time? Come on really?bandaid wrote:For goodness sakes, it shouldn't matter if it is a peanut or a knife. No one should have to stand for anyone throwing anything in anger at work.
Poor guy can't make it through a flight without a pacifier? Grow up, drive or stay home.
I do agree with your last sentence though.




