Air Canada Interviews

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Air Canada Interviews

Post by The Raven »

Joint-venture wrote:FYI Interviewed late June. Contacted for a medical 2.5 weeks later. Called last week for a course August 22nd. Super stoked! Anyone else get a call?
Welcome...Have fun on the course. It looks like your options will be Embraer FO or B777 RP. All based in YYZ. Subject to change of course.

By the way, what is your background? How many hours, university, college, etc?
---------- ADS -----------

FLYaJET
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FLYaJET »

Anyone interview at the end of July get a call for medical yet?

mcrepitz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mcrepitz »

FLYaJET, I also interviewed late July, no call for a medical yet.

beech girl, anything on your side yet?

Any other contributions appreciated!

beech girl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beech girl »

FYI interviewed mid July and got the call Friday for a medical next week.

BG

HuD 91gt
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HuD 91gt »

Anyone have any idea on the next few GS dates? I heard one starts the 22nd, and 28th. Anything tentative in September yet?

Prospect
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prospect »

I got a "yes" call 8 business days after my interview. Apparently I was an outlier considering the long wait time. Not sure why it was so quick.

Heater
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Heater »

Well Prospect, I think you got it because you did very well during the interview and testing! Congrats!

For the rest of us, still hoping all works out. I have been waiting for 2 weeks now, but still think there is chance.

BG, good to hear you got the medical,

Good luck everybody,

Heater

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Prospect wrote:I got a "yes" call 8 business days after my interview. Apparently I was an outlier considering the long wait time. Not sure why it was so quick.
Ladies and Gentlemen talk to this person and people like him or her. I bet you will find that in most cases they just went in and did it sort of speak. They were just themselves and didn't try to out think anything. Close Prospect?

This is how the system works.

-You go through the process and get scored.
-If you score below the last person in the pool? You get the immediate please try again later.
-If you score within the pool? You take your spot according to your score. That could be at the top, middle or bottom.
-Ground schools are made up of the top scoring applicants in the pool. They are not made up from how long an applicant is in the pool.
-If the pool gets over a specific size the bottom person gets kicked out. This is the late please try again later letter.

-So if you get a quick Ground school? You scored high and went to the front of the pack.

WHEN YOU RUN INTO THESE INDIVIDUALS------TALK TO THEM

If you get PFO'd? Try again. During the last hiring the failure rate on the first attempt was well in excess of 50%. Second attempts were much higher.

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

Looks like a Sept 25th course planned too.

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

how many candidates in a pit course or a groundschool?

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

Fanblade wrote:
If you get PFO'd? Try again. During the last hiring the failure rate on the first attempt was well in excess of 50%. Second attempts were much higher.
What a colossal waste of time and money for everyone involved.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Takeoff OK wrote:
Fanblade wrote:
I agree with you but hey they didn't call me to ask for my opinion.

Just mentioning it because I have seen really good people rejected on attempt number one. Some took it personally and never reapplied. A shame.

PC12flyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PC12flyer »

Just interviewed, how often does the hiring board meet to assess files for your score into the pool.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

Fanblade wrote:
Takeoff OK wrote:
Fanblade wrote:
I agree with you but hey they didn't call me to ask for my opinion.

Just mentioning it because I have seen really good people rejected on attempt number one. Some took it personally and never reapplied. A shame.
Yeah, I got where you were coming from, and I think it's valuable info for those out there that may have been rebuffed on the first try. It just makes me wonder as to the validity of their screening process if they're accepting such a high number of people on their second attempt. It's like giving someone an award for memorizing the test. I'm not sure you would see that with any other major corporation.

sepia
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sepia »

I think that an alarmingly high percentage of people show up at their first interview without the slightest clue of what is about to transpire. This isn't like any other interview they've ever done before. They're not going to joke with the new CP about how they watched their buddy puke off a bridge, or talk about fishing stories. They're not going to be asked what the maximum take off weight was for the Navajo, or how many spars the 1900 has. They show up without a clue of how a behavioural interview works, or how to construct an answer that will score optimum points. One friend who got turned down who answered "what do you consider your biggest weakness?" with, "I hate losing at golf". Anyone even slightly conversant with behavioural interviews will tell you that despite being a funny answer, will score a 1 if they're lucky. In such a tight field, scoring a 1 where a fellow interviewee scores a 4 or 5 can be the difference between a letter and a phone call.

Many of these same people also have no idea what the psych test is looking for. They see questions like "have you ever lied?, "have you ever abused alcohol?", "have you ever broken the law?", and think that only a fool would answer yes to them. They fail to realize that by lying on the psych test they're sewering any hope they had of squeeking through after their botched interview.

I think that a lot of the "good" people out there take the PFO as something to learn from. They analyse what went wrong, and go about correcting these mistakes. They show up at their second interview understanding how to answer the questions correctly, they show up with honest answers to the psych test. It's a credit to Air Canada's hiring policy (and there's not many pros for the system), that they do allow people to have more than one interview.

... on the midnight train to romford
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Very well put.

good luck all.

crooked timber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crooked timber »

another reason to reapply is the fact that the "pool" system means that your success is, to a certain extent, a function of your timing. you could be a perfectly viable candidate but if you're interviewing at the same time as 20 other people who speak one more language than you do, have one more degree than you do, and also happen to be female/visible minorities/disabled/status card holders (and, consequently, have higher scores than you) then the deck is stacked against you until those people are out of the pool. i'm not saying it's the right way to do things but that's how it is. what you end up with is a system that works like a hotel shuttle that picks people up from the airport. sometimes the shuttle comes around and it's already full so you're not going to get on. sometimes you just have to wait until the next time it comes around before you get lucky and there is a spot available for you.

mcrepitz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mcrepitz »

/

Last edited by mcrepitz on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Sage »

crooked timber wrote:another reason to reapply is the fact that the "pool" system means that your success is, to a certain extent, a function of your timing. you could be a perfectly viable candidate but if you're interviewing at the same time as 20 other people who speak one more language than you do, have one more degree than you do, and also happen to be female/visible minorities/disabled/status card holders (and, consequently, have higher scores than you) then the deck is stacked against you until those people are out of the pool. i'm not saying it's the right way to do things but that's how it is. what you end up with is a system that works like a hotel shuttle that picks people up from the airport. sometimes the shuttle comes around and it's already full so you're not going to get on. sometimes you just have to wait until the next time it comes around before you get lucky and there is a spot available for you.
Correct for the most part except being "interview(ed) at the same time as 20 other people who speak one more language than you do, have one more degree than you do, and also happen to be female/visible minorities/disabled/status card holders". These qualities will help you get an interview but once you are in the interview process, your scores in the interview, cog test, psych test, and medical will determine your placement in the pool.

Times are exciting kids! Keep updating and treat the interview like it is your only shot. Don't waste it. Hiring continues indefinitely...

Scope. Not just a mouthwash.
Sea2Sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sea2Sky »

another reason to reapply is the fact that the "pool" system means that your success is, to a certain extent, a function of your timing. you could be a perfectly viable candidate but if you're interviewing at the same time as 20 other people who speak one more language than you do, have one more degree than you do, and also happen to be female/visible minorities/disabled/status card holders (and, consequently, have higher scores than you) then the deck is stacked against you until those people are out of the pool. i'm not saying it's the right way to do things but that's how it is. what you end up with is a system that works like a hotel shuttle that picks people up from the airport. sometimes the shuttle comes around and it's already full so you're not going to get on. sometimes you just have to wait until the next time it comes around before you get lucky and there is a spot available for you.
Sorry, but this is not true. The pool system means that once interviewed, you are scored against other interviewees. The pool is not comprised of the groups you'd like to blame for not getting on, it's composed of successful candidates. Sage is correct. If you find yourself out of the pool, it's based on your interview and test results, not how many disabled people were interviewd. Sheesh!

Why's it doing that? No, THAT!

Return to “Air Canada”