ICS Canada AME Course

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

ICS Canada AME Course

Post by FighterPilot »

Just wondering if any AME's or apprentices have any experience with the online ICS AME course. http://www.icslearn.ca/aircraft/index.html I'm currently employed flying for a charter company so I don't have time to go back to school, but I'm looking at possibly taking it to get more of a background in the maintenance side of things and if things ever get slow at work, apprentice on the side. Any info would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

qa guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: ICS Canada AME Course

Post by qa guy »

meets the legal requirements of basic training. If its just knowledge your after then sure.
If you are going to be looking for a job in maintenance I would not recomend, since some
employers dont value it as much as college programs.
It will compliment your pilot license well if you want to keep flying.

tyndall
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tyndall »

If you are already working for someone that will take you on as an apprentice, ICS is viable. If not, good luck finding someone that will hire you. Its not looked upon too favorably by hr departments. A hundred applicants with college diplomas and work credit vs. someone that read some books on their kitchen table.

That said, once you do your four years in the shop and get your license, it won't matter where or how you got your initial training.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

I'm currently employed flying for a charter company so I don't have time to go back to school
You might consider Stevenson if you can fit it into your schedule.

sparkz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sparkz »

I took the ICS course and actually just got my M1/M2 today. It was a means to an end for me as I had already taken the avionics program at canadore and wanted to get my m licence without taking time off for school. IF you have am apprenticeship lined up I say go for it, if not, it will be tough to find work and it does not teach you what you need to know. I worked doing maintenance and avionics for the past 13 years and was shocked at how little real world skills are learnt from this course. It does serve a purpose but only if you can get the on the job training you need to make it. Also keep in mind you will have to write the 3 tech exams on top of the cars regs exam. The course will not prepair you for them enough without lots of furthur study. they test your ability to remember a line from a textbook more than what you know IMO.

JCole
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JCole »

It's just like everyone said here, if your applying to a place with just an ICS the guy with the diploma could be a moron and he will still get the job over you just because of that diploma and the hands on experience. If you are already working for the company though it is a different situation, but again it all depends on who you work for.

avyonx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by avyonx »

I did the same things as Sparkz. Avionics course first then took the ICS just to learn more on the maintenance side. The course did not teach too much as it is all self-study via reading (no hands on) but for only $800 bucks it is a recognized diploma and the books are worth it. As you are a pilot it won't hurt to have a little more knowledge on aircraft systems and maintenance. It may help you to prevent those "Pilot Finger Trouble" snags/rectifications in the logbook! There is not one maintenance guy out there likes to embarass pilots like that............... :mrgreen:

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Thanks for all the great information. I would probably mainly take the course for the information and knowledge as opposed to trying to get started on an AME job. If I had still worked for a float operator I would probably try and be an AME/Pilot, but flying multi-IFR it's not a big career benefit.

sparkz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sparkz »

if you want just to learn the stuff, i'd sell you the books and course material cheap. Shipping shouldn't be too bad depending on where you are. PM me if you are interested

ah073806
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ah073806 »

Good information on the comments I have read so far around the value of the ICS Aircraft Mechanic course. I have just a general question for people that may have taken this course. Is this course valuable for some one that just wants to gain more knowledge around aircraft mechanics and familiarization around aircraft systems?

I don't have an intention to become an AME but want to be able to gain more knowledge on aircarft maintenance and repair. I am in avaition management and only have time to gain more knowledge online.

Just looking for some feedback an advice.

Thanks

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Stevenson is the way to go on a time crunch.

I worked with an ics engineer... it was always a pissing contest as they tried to show the college boys up. In the end I came to the conclusion we were all adequate as engineers.

It depends on your history, contacts and how well you interview.

I want to do it the other way. I'm close to getting my m1 but wish Stevenson and ics did the e Side of things. . It's harder to go m to e than it is e to m.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

ah073806 wrote:I don't have an intention to become an AME but want to be able to gain more knowledge on aircarft maintenance and repair. I am in avaition management and only have time to gain more knowledge online.
Don't waste your time, if you have no actual experience then just keep managing. Better to take some courses in brown-nosing, corner cutting and blame deflecting.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

meets the legal requirements of basic training.
...it does not meet the requirements of basic training.

...it only meets the requirements of 1000 hours of theory training.

qa guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by qa guy »

Let me re phrase that.....It meets the requirements of basic training, however not approved for accreditation hours (1800) and the exams are not T.C. approved.
So you will have to write the 3 technical exams plus CARs and complete your 48 months in a shop if you want a license.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

...which makes it acceptable but not approved.

Those that do not take the ICS course but complete 4800 hours of apprenticeship must right all of the TC exams and have at least 1000 hrs of acceptable training.

ryolanovitch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ryolanovitch »

Hello,

I took the ICS course, as have many others I have worked with, It is easier to go to school if time and money are available,If not, I can say that ICS is great. One has to have some focus to complete the course, and then challenge TCA exams.

Your not throwing away money or wasting time, even if it takes you way longer than you had hoped.

I too fly and fix, Its a funny thing, some employers take a dim view of this, some are of the opinion you should be one or the other and not do both.

I once had a job interview where a chief pilot said to me, ''I have yet to work with a pilot/AME who was any good''

I asked him if he had ever heard of . Yeager? he said no....I said, '' I see"

I did't get hired.

But my point is here, never mind what anyone says, your doing the right thing learning.

John Bull
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by John Bull »

qa guy wrote:Let me re phrase that.....It meets the requirements of basic training, however not approved for accreditation hours (1800) and the exams are not T.C. approved.
So you will have to write the 3 technical exams plus CARs and complete your 48 months in a shop if you want a license.

I found this very clear. Very, very clear. It requires no further explanation whatsoever. Very refreshing.

duane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duane »

To: Flighterpilot

Hello Flighterpilot, can you please update your experience of ICS? did you attend it finally?

I could get a job in a shop soon, so, I really can not stop the job and go to school for two years, so, can you please tell us what is your research about it?

much appreciated!

Duane

duane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duane »

qa guy john bull

Hello qa guy and john bull,

notice you don't visit the website often, but based on your research, can you suggest a route with ICS canada online study to get AME? what is the three test? and where to take?

Thanks a lot!

duane
duaneduan@hotmail.com

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBAME »

The best way the ICS course works is if you are an E licensed person and want a M or you already have a job and a AMO of flying club, and need it to get a license. I know of a few you got a start like this, first they got a job then they liked it then took the ICS course and eventually got a AME license

It also helps out with Foreign applicants, they have some education and experience but need to meet the CARS.

Just my 2 cents worth, goof luck

Return to “Maintenance”