To the North !
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug
-
sheephunter
- Rank 7

- Posts: 673
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
- Location: Muskoka
Re: To the North !
Digits, got your phone message with no retrun number to contact you tonight. Give me a call again in the morning or when you get into Muskoka. I'll watch your progress on the SPOT. For sure you have a place to stay with me, meals and a vehicle to go back and forth if needed. As well, I am hoping that my prop is on by mid day so that you can do some float flying. Craig... you hearing me!
Kevin
Kevin
- Prairie Chicken
- Rank 7

- Posts: 727
- Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 pm
- Location: Gone sailing...
Re: To the North !
I was late finding this thread and must congratulate digits for his enthusiasm & responsible planning of his trip. I also went back & read the first thread.
Talk about writing a resume! If I was a 703 operator I'd certainly give digits a long, close look. Good luck with future endeavours!
Talk about writing a resume! If I was a 703 operator I'd certainly give digits a long, close look. Good luck with future endeavours!
Prairie Chicken
-
tractor driver
- Rank 3

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:33 am
Re: To the North !
Followed you in to ypl yesterday. I was the one in the yellow airtractor that slowed it up to let you get in on this gusty day. Nice looking plane. Good luck on your adventure, and the many more to come.
Re: To the North !
Ohhh, nice, were you the yellow plane that was parked completely at the east end of the apron ? So you were on the other side of the fuel pumps ?tractor driver wrote:Followed you in to ypl yesterday. I was the one in the yellow airtractor that slowed it up to let you get in on this gusty day. Nice looking plane. Good luck on your adventure, and the many more to come.
I'm now in Sleephunters custody, enjoying the nice smell of the pine trees and the mild (in the shade) climate of muskoka !
The spot device won't work anymore, but I think the hardest part of the trip is over now. Thank you all for your support and follow ups, it was really nice to know I wasn't completely alone out there. It was/is a hell of a trip, and if someone wants to try it themselves someday, drop me a message or e-mail !
Monday, we leave for the US, don't know where yet, probably somewhere 33% off a straight line between muskoka and dallas
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
- Rudder Bug
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2735
- Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
- Location: Right seat but I own the seat
Re: To the North !
Hello Joe,
Will you eventually post some photos of your journey? I am not the only one who can't wait ya know?
Oh yes and please pass over my best regards to Sheep.
Giles
Will you eventually post some photos of your journey? I am not the only one who can't wait ya know?
Oh yes and please pass over my best regards to Sheep.
Giles
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Re: To the North !
Is your final destination Dallas? I am currently in Oklahoma City - just a couple of hundred miles north of DFW. Let me know if you are coming this way.digits_ wrote:tractor driver wrote:Monday, we leave for the US, don't know where yet, probably somewhere 33% off a straight line between muskoka and dallas
Re: To the North !
Yes yes, I will make a long report with pictures and movies, in the next couple of weeks. I'll definately keep you all posted!
By the way, my name is not really Joe, that's something ruddersup invented because he can't pronounce my real name correctly
@SAR: Dallas is the stop just before my final destination (small airfield W of Texas). I'm flying by in Dallas Executive (KRBD), to meet a friend there. I'll look into Oklahoma, Keep you posted !
By the way, my name is not really Joe, that's something ruddersup invented because he can't pronounce my real name correctly
@SAR: Dallas is the stop just before my final destination (small airfield W of Texas). I'm flying by in Dallas Executive (KRBD), to meet a friend there. I'll look into Oklahoma, Keep you posted !
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-
tractor driver
- Rank 3

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:33 am
Re: To the North !
Yes, Digits, that was me. I used to fly floats with Rudder Bug, we're keeping a lookout for ya.
Fair winds and blue skies,
well done.
g
Fair winds and blue skies,
well done.
g
-
sheephunter
- Rank 7

- Posts: 673
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
- Location: Muskoka
Re: To the North !
Had the pleasure of hosting "Digits" at our home here in Muskoka over the weekend and just reporting that he got away from CYQA (Muskoka) about an hour ago heading for Niagara Fall Int. with hopes to see the falls. Also, he was considering passing through Toronto to see the CN Tower. He would be already landing or about to by now so I can't say for sure what happened and is thinking that he will be somewhere in Ohio for the evening and is enroute to El Paso, TX via Dallas. He no longer has my SPOT so don't be alarmed not seeing it. Hope all goes well and for those that cannot pronounce his name... don't feel bad. He was with me all weekend and I am embarrassed to say that I had to introduce him as Digits. Sorry about that buddy. Have a safe flight.
Re: To the North !
Ah well, your fishing lesson compensated for the inability to pronounce my namesheephunter wrote:Had the pleasure of hosting "Digits" at our home here in Muskoka over the weekend and just reporting that he got away from CYQA (Muskoka) about an hour ago heading for Niagara Fall Int. with hopes to see the falls. Also, he was considering passing through Toronto to see the CN Tower. He would be already landing or about to by now so I can't say for sure what happened and is thinking that he will be somewhere in Ohio for the evening and is enroute to El Paso, TX via Dallas. He no longer has my SPOT so don't be alarmed not seeing it. Hope all goes well and for those that cannot pronounce his name... don't feel bad. He was with me all weekend and I am embarrassed to say that I had to introduce him as Digits. Sorry about that buddy. Have a safe flight.
Greetings from Frankfort, Indiana. It's like a zombie town out here. Freaky. I did fly around the Toronto tower, and I saw the falls (from the air and from the US side). The US customs officer scanned my plane for radioactive (!!!!!) materials.... Luckily, my radiant personality didn't set of his detector.
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
- Siddley Hawker
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3353
- Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
- Location: 50.13N 66.17W
-
Groundloop
- Rank 1

- Posts: 15
- Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:38 pm
Re: To the North !
Had to laugh about the zombies in Indiana. I was in Goshen, Indiana in June and felt the same way. Made me fell really uncomfortable as none of the people wuld smile at you. I was told that it had to do with the large amish population in the area.
-
sheephunter
- Rank 7

- Posts: 673
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
- Location: Muskoka
Re: To the North !
Not to forget the golf lessons and free Canadian culture in a tourist town on a Fri./Sat night of a long weekend in the middle of the summer. Glad to hear that you did get to see the CN Tower and Niagara Falls. Keep us posted on the remainder of your trip.
-
round pounder
- Rank 2

- Posts: 64
- Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:16 am
Re: To the North !
Hi Didgit,
You have made great time coming out of Cambridge Bay, hope to meet you again. Fly safe
You have made great time coming out of Cambridge Bay, hope to meet you again. Fly safe
Re: To the North !
43°C in Dallas. Field elevation: 600 ft, density altitude: 4300 ft
3 hours of flying in this weather is actually more tiresome then flying 8 hours in Canada.
Almost the last stop, so you won't get much more updates about the trip anymore. Of course I'll let you know when I have a report with pictures etc online, but that might take a few weeks
3 hours of flying in this weather is actually more tiresome then flying 8 hours in Canada.
Almost the last stop, so you won't get much more updates about the trip anymore. Of course I'll let you know when I have a report with pictures etc online, but that might take a few weeks
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Re: To the North !
This is it. Returned the plane. Taking an airline flight back home tomorrow.
The "after-trip"-depression is setting in already.
I had a great time in your beautiful country, and I hope to be back some day. Lots of good memories, lots of adventures, lots of lovely people, as well as online as offline.
If any of you ever come to Belgium, give me a call/message.
Digits
I had a great time in your beautiful country, and I hope to be back some day. Lots of good memories, lots of adventures, lots of lovely people, as well as online as offline.
If any of you ever come to Belgium, give me a call/message.
Digits
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Re: To the North !
Good to hear that you made it safely.digits_ wrote:This is it. Returned the plane. Taking an airline flight back home tomorrow.The "after-trip"-depression is setting in already.
I had a great time in your beautiful country, and I hope to be back some day. Lots of good memories, lots of adventures, lots of lovely people, as well as online as offline.
If any of you ever come to Belgium, give me a call/message.
Digits
I am wondering if there is anyone who has done a trip like you before, Texas to the North Pole and back in a 172, pretty damned impressive.
Be sure to post a link to a write up and some pictures of your journey.
-
ruddersup?
- Rank 5

- Posts: 312
- Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:10 pm
Re: To the North !
It's been quite busy, I haven't forgotten about you, I'll post it here as soon as I have something online!ruddersup? wrote:Hey Joe, you promised us some pictures.
ruddersup?
Sorry for the delay,
Digits
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
- Rudder Bug
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2735
- Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
- Location: Right seat but I own the seat
Re: To the North !
It's nice to hear from you though Digits; you could have been hit by a car once back home and we wouldn't know!
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Re: To the North !
Hello all,
I'm still alive! I started putting some report and a few pictures online on my new website:
http://flytheimpossible.com/
It's still only the first days. I'll report back here when it's complete. I just read back this complete topic, which was a nice flight through memory lane. Not a day has gone by without dreaming back about the trip. Reading all the posts again made me feel all fuzzy and warm inside
I'll keep you posted!
I'm still alive! I started putting some report and a few pictures online on my new website:
http://flytheimpossible.com/
It's still only the first days. I'll report back here when it's complete. I just read back this complete topic, which was a nice flight through memory lane. Not a day has gone by without dreaming back about the trip. Reading all the posts again made me feel all fuzzy and warm inside
I'll keep you posted!
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-
tiny
- Rank 4

- Posts: 256
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 am
- Location: somewhere on a river looking for dropped tools
Re: To the North !
Enjoying the narative already. Keep up the good writing.
Tiny
Tiny
-
sheephunter
- Rank 7

- Posts: 673
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
- Location: Muskoka
Re: To the North !
Hey Digits, you better look after my daughter over there.
Re: To the North !
She's only arriving sunday, but no worries, I'll keep her safesheephunter wrote:Hey Digits, you better look after my daughter over there.
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-
sheephunter
- Rank 7

- Posts: 673
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
- Location: Muskoka
Re: To the North !
Digits,
You're a good man. Last I heard she was waiting at the airport but may well be on her way. Thanks, Kevin
You're a good man. Last I heard she was waiting at the airport but may well be on her way. Thanks, Kevin