A320 Type Rating- Looking for Training Partner

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

A320 Type Rating- Looking for Training Partner

Post by delay256 »

I have decided to complete a self sponsored A320 Type Rating with CAE in Toronto for a potential job in the Middle East. I am looking for a training partner to complete the course within the next few months.

Please let me know if there are any takers?
---------- ADS -----------

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: A320 Type Rating- Looking for Training Partner

Post by KK7 »

goodpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goodpilot »

check your pm

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

delay256 wrote:I have decided to complete a self sponsored A320 Type Rating with CAE in Toronto for a potential job in the Middle East. I am looking for a training partner to complete the course within the next few months.
Pretty expensive gamble.

straightpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by straightpilot »

Hey, pilots get married every day.

At least this guy is guaranteed to have something to show for his gamble, regardless of how the job works out - a type rating on his ATPL!

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

I highly suspect this person does not have an ATPL.

Most likely a CPL, 250hrs and a case of SJS.

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

@fingersmac

I have 1100 Hours and a frozen ATPL.

This isn't a debate about the advantages/disadvantages of paying for type ratings. I have spoken to several airlines and they have indicated that this is the right way forward.

I am just looking for a training partner to reduce training costs.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Of course they say that, then they dont have to pay for it, it waters down the competition for jobs and allows them to make low ball offers because you just dropped 30k+ on a rating and are now desperate for a job before it expires....just out of curiosity, did any of them actually say "get a TR and you will have a job with us"? Why wouldnt they tell you this is the way forward? Good riddance man...keep that mentality on the other side of the pond, dont bring it here!

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

Are you that naive? Of course airlines say it's the "right" way forward; you're paying for training that should be provided by the company potentially hiring you!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

"frozen ATPL" - keep telling yourself that.

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

Seriously What is wrong with you people?

I just posted this to find a training partner.

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

An MBA costs $45,000 to $60,000 easy which eventually leads to higher salaries and better positions in the corporate world. How is this any different?

I dont know if all of this pays off and I do realize these are hard times for all of us but I have made my decision.

@altiplano - Fine! I have completed the SARON and SAMRA and have written the ATPL exams back in the Middle East. (Call it whatever you want to call it)

Again guys, I am just here to look for a sim partner.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Have you asked yourself why you're expected to pay for type specific training for these companies you talked to, while everywhere else the company pays to train their employees after they've been hired? A type rating is not an MBA, it isn't as useful and versatile, and an MBA doesn't cost as much as an A320 type rating.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The general rule about paying for your training is, you should not expected to pay for training specific to the job you are trying to get that isn't applicable at any other job.

An instrument rating, an ATPL, an MBA, they are all widely transferable and are basic qualifications for a job. An A320 rating is not, it is job specific. Please do us and yourself a favour and don't try to get ahead by selling yourself out.

It is much more satisfying to have somebody else put you on a course, even if it is years later. It says you are worth something.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

I see it as an investment in my future, a chance to move ahead. Many jobs today require you to have job specific training courses completed before you join I dont see how aviation is any different.

@iflyforpie Im pretty sure you would do the same if you were in my shoes. I made near nothing as a flight instructor and dont see any positive outlook on the job front here in Canada which has led me to try back home.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

delay256 wrote: @iflyforpie Im pretty sure you would do the same if you were in my shoes. I made near nothing as a flight instructor and dont see any positive outlook on the job front here in Canada which has led me to try back home.
I would not even if the job was guaranteed, secure, and well-paying, which from the sounds of it is none of those. Ask some ex-Jetsgo guys about how paying for their training turned out.

I have managed to make a living in aviation without shelling out money for company specific training. I have purposefully avoided any companies that wanted money or bonds for training and I believe it has payed dividends not only in money saved, but in quality of life, safety, and self-respect. There were times when I wondered if I had missed the boat on a better career, but any regrets soon vanished when watching the aftermath of others' decisions to go those routes.

If nobody was willing to pay for training, the companies would have to. But it seems that there is always somebody who has several grand to throw away (how did you get that making 'near nothing?') to 'buy' themselves a job. A320, PA31, or C182 jumper course, it is all the same.

Once the company realizes that you will pay for training, what else are they going to make you pay for, and how well do you think they will pay?

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In what way is a type-rating company specific? Lots of airlines fly A320s, don't they?

Why is a type rating any different from a multi- rating?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

photofly wrote:In what way is a type-rating company specific? Lots of airlines fly A320s, don't they?

Why is a type rating any different from a multi- rating?
A lot more companies have multi engine aircraft than have A320s. That and it wouldn't be out of the question for an individual to benefit privately from having a multi rating, relatively rare, but within the realm of probability. Few individuals could use an A320 type rating privately, and definitely no one who works as a pilot.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If there is a difference it would seem to be one of (slight) degree, rather than black and white. You could make the same argument that an airline should pay not only for your type rating but also your multi-, IFR, CPL, and probably PPL too. Regardless of what some pilots might use it for, to the person who's interested in an airline job even a basic PPL is just as useless (or useful) as a type rating, they're both just bits of paper that get you employed.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

If there is a difference it would seem to be one of (slight) degree, rather than black and white.
Hardly a slight degree. For example, I make regular use of my pilot skillz outside of working as a pilot, which so far has included the use of my seaplane, multi and instrument ratings. I can think of no means of using an A320 rating to do that outside of the possibility of maybe aquiring the means of say John Travolta.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!

Return to “Flight Training”