A320 Type Rating- Looking for Training Partner

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: A320 Type Rating- Looking for Training Partner

Post by shitdisturber »

Shiny Side Up wrote:
If there is a difference it would seem to be one of (slight) degree, rather than black and white.
Hardly a slight degree. For example, I make regular use of my pilot skillz outside of working as a pilot, which so far has included the use of my seaplane, multi and instrument ratings. I can think of no means of using an A320 rating to do that outside of the possibility of maybe aquiring the means of say John Travolta.
Thanks a bunch! Now I'm going to have a mental picture of you in a white suit all day long and the clients are going to wonder why I keep breaking into uncontrollable giggling fits! :smt040
---------- ADS -----------

straightpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by straightpilot »

It's too bad that there is only one operator of the A320 in the entire world.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

That place in Toronto that does type checks?

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

@iflyforpie

How did I get the money to pay for it? - That is none of your concern.

What ever decisions you have made in your career have worked out well, good for you! Now let me be, taking this decision to move back to the middle east and do the rating was not an easy one. Sure its a gamble but what is the alternative? I have nearly 1200 hours and I have applied to over a 100 job postings but NO PHONECALLS, NO INTERVIEWS, NOTHING!

So forgive me if I take a chance with my career.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

KK7 wrote:Image
+1

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Take the money you are thinking of wasting on an A320 rating and buy apple stock, that way you will be far, far better off.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

I don't get the big deal.

Thier wanting to put money into a Canadian company and then leave the country. I say more power to them, the sooner they leave the country the better.

I say good riddance, don't forget to surrender your Canadian passport, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. :twisted:

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I know a guy who was told exactly what you're saying by Tiger Airways in China. He spent $30k and got - surprise - no job. Then he spent $20k or $30k on a Falcon training bond so he could work for some clowns in Iqaluit. Then he spent some more money chasing a job somewhere else. A few of us figured he had blown $75k on BS type ratings trying to get ahead.

Like another poster said, every shady operator will tell you to get a type rating- decent employers will not want a type rating because they will spend the money to train you to fly their airplanes THEIR way. If these companies are so interested in you how about they send you a written job offer, conditional that you get a type rating. At least then you can see this foolish idea as an investment and not a gamble.

PS If you end up going this route, post on here in a year and tell us how you made out.

straightpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by straightpilot »

every shady operator will tell you to get a type rating
Southwest Airlines requires all of their new-hires to get a 737 type rating on their own before they start work.

Is Southwest a shady operator?

http://www.southwest.com/html/about-sou ... ilots.html
A Candidate may apply without a B-737 Type Rating. If a candidate interviews and successfully completes the entire selection process, he/she has six months from the date to obtain a B-737 Type Rating to be eligible for hire.
btw before you buy any Apple stock, check out:

http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/pe_ratio

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

Haters

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

What is a hater, and what does it have to do with us trying to give advice?

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

What is a hater, and what does it have to do with us trying to give advice?
Well it might have had something to do with this line:
I say good riddance, don't forget to surrender your Canadian passport, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Or perhaps it was the cartoons about trolls. Or the fact that while the question was from someone who was looking for a parter, a whole load of people derailed this thread into bashing the o/p for his career decisions. Way to go, chaps. So much for the famed Canadian hospitality.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

delay256 wrote: @iflyforpie Im pretty sure you would do the same if you were in my shoes. I made near nothing as a flight instructor and dont see any positive outlook on the job front here in Canada which has led me to try back home.
From another thread:
I made $9000 last year.
A little bit OT but why did you get paid so little? To me it sounds like you were working for a bad operator already, assuming you flew with them until you were up to your current total. Pains me to see this sort of stuff going on. Not sure why you feel that you need to go elsewhere, since you've stuck it out through the hardest part of your career. With 1000+ hours in the book, you're in much more hirable territory, you can definitely find someone to work for who doesn't require you to bring your own type rating.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

delay256 wrote:@iflyforpie

How did I get the money to pay for it? - That is none of your concern.
It might not be any of my concern, but it sure does puzzle me when somebody who makes 'no money' has all of this disposable cash to blow on a rating that is above your experience and doesn't guarantee a bright future. Unless of course it is somebody else's money.
I have nearly 1200 hours and I have applied to over a 100 job postings but NO PHONECALLS, NO INTERVIEWS, NOTHING!

So forgive me if I take a chance with my career.
Two things. First of all, whoever said that getting your license was guaranteed to get you a job was putting the rose coloured glasses on. The jobs simply aren't there unless you have an in or are exceptional in some way. I took my training with job in hand--I wouldn't have done it any other way.

The second thing is, those of you who are unlucky with your job searches make life miserable for the rest of us when you buy jobs, work for crap wages, and work for shady operators. I didn't fly for two years after my first job because jobs simply weren't there unless I wanted to lower my standards.

But I am just a hater.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

straightpilot wrote:
Southwest Airlines requires all of their new-hires to get a 737 type rating on their own before they start work.

If they make their pilots pay for their own training, then yeah, they are a shady operator and they should be ashamed their actions.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Sulako wrote:
straightpilot wrote:

If they make their pilots pay for their own training, then yeah, they are a shady operator and they should be ashamed their actions.

Are they not one of the most profitable airlines in the world?? "Ashamed" is being polite Sulako!

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

@iflyforpie - disposable cash to blow on a rating that is above your experience and doesn't guarantee a bright future. Unless of course it is somebody else's money.

My cousin who had his own rating got hired at age 20 on an A320 with 300 hours, hes 23 and a Captain now with IndiGo. (Worked out pretty well for him). Im hoping to do the same.

Again my finances are none of your business

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

The reason people are giving you a hard time is that buying your way into a job is unethical - it allows operators to take advantage of pilots by demanding the same thing of others, and it screws your fellow aviators who are unable to buy their way into a seat. Operators will then choose to employ the pilots who can pay the most rather than the pilots who are best skilled/suited for the job, and that can't be good for safety.

You can't buy experience, and you are putting yourself in the potential position of operating a high-performance machine without a strong background in aviation. You also can't buy respect, which will be much harder to come by should you happen to return to Canada and look for a job.

I know I wouldn't want a 300-hour pilot flying my family around in an Airbus, mostly because they haven't had the time to experience all the crazy stuff you see in aviation with a few thousand hours under your belt. Experience, which is generally the basis for good decision-making in the future.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just pointing out that pilots who buy their own ratings are basically eating their young, and it's really too bad.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

^ what he said! :smt023

delay256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by delay256 »

@Sulako

How am I suppose to get the experience when no one is going to hire me?

Everybody needs a first break, Iv'e just not had any luck for the last two years and a bit.

Return to “Flight Training”