Qatar Airways Pilot Road Show Toronto & Montreal

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Qatar Airways Pilot Road Show Toronto & Montreal

Post by broompusher »

For those of you who are interested in living & flying overseas. Lots of growth/expansion happening.

Venue: Marriott Château Champlain Hotel
Dates: Monday, 19 September 2011 & Tuesday, 20 September 2011
Sessions: Morning 10am & Afternoon 1pm

Venue: Novotel Toronto Centre Hotel
Dates: Thursday, 22 September 2011 & Friday, 23 September 2011
Sessions: Morning 10am & Afternoon 1pm

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/p ... anada.html
---------- ADS -----------

WTF, over
Thair81
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Qatar Airways Pilot Road Show Toronto & Montreal

Post by Thair81 »

Was thinking of attending this, but have never gone to something like this before...What is the process at one of these things? Is it like an informal interview- i.e. wear a shirt and tie and bring in some resumes? If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

T81

Radiohead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Radiohead »

Is it worth going to such an event, even if you don't meet all of the requirements mentioned on their website?

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/f ... k-req.html

Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Krashman »

I recently got an email inviting me to an interview in Doha for sept 28... then even more recently got another email asking me to 'kindly disregard the previous email, the interview sessions are being pushed back'.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the traveling road show coming through Canada? Do they do interviews at these things or is it just purely informational and more of a resume grab?

Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500
broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

Thair81 wrote:Was thinking of attending this, but have never gone to something like this before...What is the process at one of these things? Is it like an informal interview- i.e. wear a shirt and tie and bring in some resumes? If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

T81
Business casual or shirt & tie (suit if you want to but IMO I wouldn't think it necessary)
Radiohead wrote:Is it worth going to such an event, even if you don't meet all of the requirements mentioned on their website?

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/f ... k-req.html
It can't hurt, but I would not go spending money on a flight & hotel to attend if you are short on the requirements (that's just my opinion though). You have to be okay with the possibility of spending the money to get there, only to find out that minimums are not flexible.
Krashman wrote:I recently got an email inviting me to an interview in Doha for sept 28... then even more recently got another email asking me to 'kindly disregard the previous email, the interview sessions are being pushed back'.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the traveling road show coming through Canada? Do they do interviews at these things or is it just purely informational and more of a resume grab?
No idea.

WTF, over
wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Just an info session, no more no less.

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

I've received an email to attend the interview in November. Has anyone been through it. Any pointers? Thanks.

~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

I've received an email to attend the interview in November. Has anyone been through it. Any pointers? Thanks.
Experience??

Interview for Fast Track S/O? or F/O?

Pregnant Flight Attendant = Pilot Error
atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

~Hollywood~ wrote:
Experience??

Interview for Fast Track S/O? or F/O?

6000hrs.
FO position @ QA

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

The interview consists of 1. Technical exam 2. Interview 3. A330 Sim.

The overall process was enjoyable. Business class to Doha, greeted (By Al Maha agent-Greeting service) upon entry to the terminal, helped with clearing customs. Checked in at hotel (paid by QR). Lunch was paid for by QR on the day of the interview.

Morning of the interview. Interview started at 8am. Group consisted of DEC's on various QR types, FO's and Cadet(s). First was the presentation on QR & Doha. Afterwards the recruitment team answered any questions we had. Technical exam followed. 50% of the group failed the exam. The remaining applicants were assigned interview times. After the interview, you are given a pass or fail letter. Pickup for sim was 2230, 1 hr brief, then each applicant went into the sim (A330) for approximately 45min-1hr. Sim basic and straight forward. Dep. LHR 27R, runway heading to 3000. vectors to downwind & final. Same thing 2nd time but with APU fire on downwind (does not extinguish). At the end, they tell you you will receive a response in 2-3 weeks.

As previously mentioned. Studying ACE will help, but that alone is not sufficient (In my opinion). I studied various JAR related material, Wx, and the CQB (https://www.aviationexam.com). I focused primarily on Air Law, Met, Performance, Instrumentation and Principle of Flight. You have to pay to access this question bank but it was definitely worth the cost. I also studied everything I could find about the company as well as everything about Doha & Qatar.

For anyone wondering, I waited for 3 months from the time I applied until the time I received an invitation to attend the interview and 4 weeks to find out the results from the interview.

Study Materials

-ACE The Technical Pilot Interview
-JAR Professional Pilot Studies- Auth. Phil Croucher
-Air Command Wx Manual
-Handling The Big jets

http://www.aviationexam.com
(For studying the JAR Central Question Bank where the questions are selected from). Costs $ but a MUST
Study the following topics:
-Performance (Most important)
-Principles Of Flight
-Met
-Air Law
-Human Performance and Limitations
-Instrumentation

http://www.latestpilotjobs.com
This website has a very accurate profile about the whole Qatar Airways interview. List of exam questions, interview questions, sim description. Must also pay $ but again a must.

http://www.mypilotcareer.com
Also useful, but I believe more current and valuable info is on the latestpilotjobs website.

If you study everything there religiously until your interview, you will pass the technical exam (50 question multiple choice, %70 pass mark).

For the interview there is a good list of questions on latestpilotjobs that have been asked. Very straight forward. They are looking for humility, they don't need guys who show how they are always right.

For the interview, you need to know (but not limited to):
-Entire Fleet composition (Ex:how many 319-100LRs, 320-200, 321-200). How many orders they have and of what (Ex: 350-900's, 350-1000s)
-Company history, key dates
-Subsidiaries (all of them)
-Code share airlines
-Lat/Long of DOH Airport
-The CEO, who he is and his background
-Stats on The city & country (Population, economy etc...)
-The Ruling Royal Family and their history

Basically, everything you can learn about the company and the city and country.

For the sim, It's going to be in the A330. I would recommend renting 4hrs of Airbus sim (There is an A330 sim in YVR avail for rent and also an A320 sim in YYZ at CAE). It is a worthwhile investment as Airbus is VERY different from traditional aircraft(s). When you get to the sim, you will be tired, having a basic idea about how the aircraft handles will help you out immensely. If you can only get the A320 sim, still worth it as it is the same a/c (more or less) other than the difference in size.

For the interview, go buy 1 or 2 brand new suits. Remember, you need to look the part and you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

Good Luck! :smt023

WTF, over
atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

Awesome information. Thanks.
Did you get the job?

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

I did. Quite enjoying it!

WTF, over
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

Broompusher great info, thanks for sharing. How long have you been online? and what are you flying?

following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

Been here a few months now. On the A320 fleet. Most will be assigned to the A320 fleet. If you have time on a/c >55T (121,000LBS) then there is the chance you'd be assigned to a widebody fleet, but that is by no means a guarantee.

WTF, over
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

broompusher wrote:Been here a few months now. On the A320 fleet. Most will be assigned to the A320 fleet. If you have time on a/c >55T (121,000LBS) then there is the chance you'd be assigned to a widebody fleet, but that is by no means a guarantee.

Cool thanks again, care to share your experience prior to joining?

following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

Mclovin wrote:Cool thanks again, care to share your experience prior to joining?
At DOJ 3500TT /1500 Jet

WTF, over
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

^
just curious how much of that was PIC time (or do they put much weight in that metric)?

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

BE20 Driver wrote:^
just curious how much of that was PIC time (or do they put much weight in that metric)?
Unless you have PIC >55T, it doesn't matter if your time is PIC or SIC. As long as you meet FO requirements.

WTF, over
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Damn. No jet time, no heavy turboprop time. Guess I'll keep plugging along where I am a while longer.

Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Krashman »

Damn. No jet time, no heavy turboprop time. Guess I'll keep plugging along where I am a while longer.

I would still apply. I got an invite for and interview in May with just a bunch of Be20 time... (ironic no BE20 Driver?)

3000TT 2000PIC

They're a funny bunch sometimes I had been applying every six months for two years, who knows maybe they like to see continued interest.

Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500

Return to “Employment Forum”