Best Flight School in Canada ?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

R2000/1830
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by R2000/1830 »

Mount Royal College
---------- ADS -----------

inthomerker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by inthomerker »

King Air Guy:
I have to agree with at least part of your post - students out of a diploma program (weather it's MFC's or not) could very likely have a "big head on their shoulders" (most people that i've met from U of T have a bad case of it regardless of their degree). Personally, I haven't gone down the diploma road. However, in the defence of the rest of the students currently attending MFC, one of the biggest issues that is instilled in us is that 'MFC is not the be all and end all of aviation - you're still going to have to work your ass off when you finish here'. We (the collective we that is) know that when we're done there's still a lot (not "alot") to learn.
~many cheers~

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Pugster,
While I generally agree with you, and support JM as a person to the max (having known him myself for over 17 years now), I've got to say that any school can have their porblems. While I wouldn't put ProIFR even at the same end of the scale with the worst flight schools in Canada, there are reasons for concern. As an example, when my wife did her IFR groundschool there (many years ago), the instructor was completely unable to teach ADF PDT intercepts. She pretty much had to get up and teach it for the guy so the rest of the class could get it. Who knows, possibly having an off day, but it came across as less than what should be billed as "The Premier IFR School In The Nation". Maybe bitmonx had one of those experiences. Who knows. I would hope he brought his concerns to JM and not just to cyberspace.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

I know every school has problems, but putting JM and Pro on the bottom of the list is just ridiculous. I guess I just got kinda uppity because I consider him a friend, and a mentor as well. We could all learn about how to make your clients and students feel welcome and appreciated from JM...

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I also am a friend of Johns and there is no way on earth that he runs a school that can be considered at the bottom of the pile.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

I'm flying at a "not-for-profit" club. I think its great. I rent a 150 for $79 solo, a 172 for $89 and a Mooney for $119!. The instructor only cost $35 an hour too! http://www.namaoflyingclub.com/

I had to get my night rating at a different school though because nobody at mine wanted to stay up past midnight. I had to takeoff from Edmonton’s City Center, which was great for building confidence on the radio but I didn’t enjoy the long taxi's. My wallet hated it the most.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.
-Tom Peters
WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

different ways to go

Post by WhatThe? »

Different ways to go....

1. college program: 2-4 years and a lot of money, generally good training but get ready for stiffling administration and prepare to be treated like cattle. With the costs and strict schedualling, be prepared to be told-what-to-do and how to do it. Also be prepared to be around a lot (not all) of spoiled rich-kids, not bad kids just spoiled. If money is an issue, this might not be the way to go. I did this route, and in the long run it was completely ineffectual in improving my job opp's. Note: in times of lots of movement in the industry, college students do get a jump start.

2. Get a degree and complete flight school at the same time: 4 years. You can complete flight training from 0--to -comm-multi-ifr-instructor in 2-years. This gives you 2-years to instruct and finish a degree. When you have finished the degreee, you might have 1000hrs TT instructing. Cons: this route takes discipline and dedication, if you are a slacker....go the college route. I wish i would have done this route...but hindsight is 20-20!

3. Just flight school: if you have no academic desires, this is the way to go. With the initial aviation companies, a valid licence is all you need. Your licence is printed on the same paper as mine! Pros: cost is much lower, and you can work a second job to help pay, also it is far more relaxed way of doing it. Cons: in the long run Airlines want degrees or deploma's, but that is not a concrete rule, don't listen to anyone who tells you that, when times are good a degree is not needed, and when times are bad - you better give good blowjobs, because that is all that will get you a job!!!! '5000hr Air Canada pilots doing cargo runs in turbines'!! ( one last note: don't think for a minute that you will "go back to school" later, IT WON'T HAPPEN!!!!)

If you can get a ramp job or a instructor job, take it, it will be your work ethic and personality, not your flight school that will get you that first co-pilot job.....yes you 1500hr ATPL instructors, you will ONLY get a co-pilot job!!!

Good Luck All.

I've fallen and i can't get up!
scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

Subsidized flying for me please:

Confederation College (Thunder Bay), Sault College (SS Marie), Chicoutimi Cegep (Chicoutimi)...fly on the government's bill, other than taking more time (2-3 yrs) I think you'd be hard pressed to find a disadvantage.

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Other than the fact that they're offered by Confederation, Sault College, and Chicoutimi College, I'd say you're 100% correct.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

There is a cat that comes to my door every morning. I named him Mike. Mike is a she I discovered.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Birddog, I don't know what's creepier- your reply, or your avatar. :shock:

EchoNovemberAlpha
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by EchoNovemberAlpha »

I'm a bit new at this venue, but in my opinion, what makes a really good flight school are the people who run it. More precisely, the flight instructors.
I hear a lot about Moncton being up there amongst the best, but I don't really know too much about the quality of instruction and the instructors themselves.
What seems to make them so good...or what sets them apart??

Would appreciate any insights.
Thanks.

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: different ways to go

Post by Phlyer »

FormerRampBitch wrote:
"2. Get a degree and complete flight school at the same time: 4 years. You can complete flight training from 0--to -comm-multi-ifr-instructor in 2-years. This gives you 2-years to instruct and finish a degree. When you have finished the degreee, you might have 1000hrs TT instructing. Cons: this route takes discipline and dedication, if you are a slacker....go the college route. I wish i would have done this route...but hindsight is 20-20."

:shock:

If you think you can go to university full time and get all your flying/ratings done at the same time you are out to lunch!
Year one and two are a lot easier than three and four, but the only way you could do flight training and get a degree at the same time is if you're going to one of those schools that advertise on the back of matchbooks.
Maybe get your instructor's and fly during the summers, but not both at once.
Nice idea though.

PatDaPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PatDaPilot »

FormerRampBitch is certainly not 'out to lunch'. Doing a university degree at the same time as flight training is not only doable it's being done by myself and several of my friends, none of whom I would consider 'out to lunch'.

We do a full-time four year degree, and we are required to meet deadlines and grade requirements not only for our university courses but also for our flight training.

Granted it is not easy, but it is definately enjoyable to be able to get into the plane and forget about the stresses of class and life that most students spend the better part of their time worrying about.

And for reference, our school was most definately NOT found on the back of a matchbook. Like I said, it may not be the easiest task in the world to undertake, but it is the lifestyle we've chosen, and are living.

Just thought you might be interested in case you were truly that arrogant of the capabilities of your fellow airmen.

~You think the sky's the limit? I think there's no limit to the sky~
water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

how many flight schools do you have to attend to make this call on "the best"?
i have been to 8 different ones for various ratings, renewals, check outs, or out of sheer boredom in my many moves across the country. I still do not think i have been around enough to make a judgement call on who is the best. I do agree with one of Cat Driver's comments in an unrealated post about the importance of common sense and airmanship - both very difficult to locate in a number of College program's and FTU's teachings - in general...from my i have seen in my limited experience.

This reminds me of the hoopla made by Maclean's Mag when they first rated all of the Universities in Canada. What makes someone qualified to judge?
I think the best way is to see where the students of a school have wound up. Find out where the majority of a flight Training School's or Colleges' students' are doing now and find the potential pattern that most suits your goals.
asking a 70 hour private pilot's opinion on their flight school when they have been nowhere else is ridiculous.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: different ways to go

Post by Right Seat Captain »

fotoflyer wrote: If you think you can go to university full time and get all your flying/ratings done at the same time you are out to lunch!
After making a statement like that, you'd better explain the past 4 years of my life. I have not trained at some school "on the back of a matchbook" as you put it, and now I do not work at such as school that you describe.

Flight training while attending school full time is not easy, but also very doable. I know I'm not the only one who has done this. I'm now instructing at the school I've trained with, finishing up an engineering degree and I'll be graduating with just about an ATPL and a Class 1 instructor rating. If you focus, and put the nose to the grindstone, it can be done. I'd definately recommend this route to anyone.

bush pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bush pilot »

I am not an instructor and this is the first time I have even ventured onto this part of the site, however I would have to say that this is an interesting topic. I would have to say Confederation in T. Bay is a great flight school, not just because I went there but because they seem to produce pilots that have their heads on the their shoulders. I think that is partly due to the fact that they can weed people out of the program that do not belong, due to the flying or the grades they cant handle. That goes for most of the other schools that are helped out by the gov.

Did It do that Yesterday?
EchoNovemberAlpha
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by EchoNovemberAlpha »

Hey Bush,
I just checked out the website of confederation college, thunder bay.
One aspect came to notice in the FAQ section...
They do not offer a Muti eng rating...Why not?
According to them you don't need it to get a job in the industry.
I think that's quite far from the truth...but besides that, why wouldn't they wanna offer ME? Seems strange they should do that... :roll:
Also,What's in it for an international student..? Besides the Fee hike for international... that is :x
Thanks

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

ENA

The school's designed to help students land their first float job. The idea behind not doing Multi or IFR for that matter is that as a 200 hr new CPL you're not going to need either (at least not in NW Ontario). The flying is free for residents of Ontario, but I'm guessing you'd need to be a landed immigrant to cash in, though I don't know for sure.

principalairflygirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by principalairflygirl »

EchoNovemberAlpha wrote:Hey Bush,
I just checked out the website of confederation college, thunder bay.
One aspect came to notice in the FAQ section...
They do not offer a Muti eng rating...Why not?
According to them you don't need it to get a job in the industry.
I think that's quite far from the truth...but besides that, why wouldn't they wanna offer ME? Seems strange they should do that... :roll:
Also,What's in it for an international student..? Besides the Fee hike for international... that is :x
Thanks
As every school is tailored to a different area of aviation, Confed is no different, they train for bush flying and although a multi-IFR would be great it is not required in the very beginning. As no company is going to hire you flying Multi_IFR with 200hour total time. You can go bush or instructing, then get the multi. Confed has a great program and they do what they do best make bush pilots, but I only went there.

Flying is a way to free the mind and inhance the soul.

Return to “Flight Training”