http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/relea ... e-6479.htm
YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
-
Bank Angle
- Rank 2

- Posts: 71
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:45 am
YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
Here we go again... let's see how far they get this time!?
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/relea ... e-6479.htm
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/relea ... e-6479.htm
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
All I can say is that the company I work for is preparing bids for our specialty (don't ask which trade because I won't asnwer
). There are general contractors preparing their bids for the job as well.
joco
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
Those of us who are not boating fans think it would make much more sense just to fill in the Western Channel instead.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
Please pardon my ignorance, but a pedestrian tunnel? How far is it from the "main land" to the island airport??? If the distance is not too great we have a covered bridge here in YYC we can sell you real cheap and it was designed by a famous guy too.
I can see it now; a family with small kids walking with their luggage in a tunnel for a 1/2 mile to get to the terminal. Yeah this is going to work well.
I can see it now; a family with small kids walking with their luggage in a tunnel for a 1/2 mile to get to the terminal. Yeah this is going to work well.
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein
-
flyincanuck
- Rank 8

- Posts: 975
- Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:27 am
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
You can throw a baseball across the channel.
Your bridge idea makes too much sense. They've already spent millions of dollars canceling that idea.
Your bridge idea makes too much sense. They've already spent millions of dollars canceling that idea.
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
It's 160 meters across, and I believe they want to keep it open for boat traffic.
Google Satellite view:
http://g.co/maps/mh7cg
Google Satellite view:
http://g.co/maps/mh7cg
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
You can buy a lot of infil for the price of one 160m tunnel. And the number of people who sail the western channel by boat is approximately one thousandth of the number of people who would cross the new causeway; and that's in Summer. In winter of course nobody sails the Western Channel (except the Airport ferry, going across it) because it's frozen over. And what a hard time the TPA has keeping the ferry route ice free too.
Stuff the boats. Fill it in, I say. And the sooner the better.
Stuff the boats. Fill it in, I say. And the sooner the better.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
A bridge would have to be designed to allow sailboats through. Way cheaper than a tunnel, but maybe not much of an improvement over the ferry.
Re: YTZ Pedestrian Tunnel
You missed something. This is an airport - and what do airports have, to save long walks down terminal corridors? Yes, that's right ... travelators!I can see it now; a family with small kids walking with their luggage in a tunnel for a 1/2 mile to get to the terminal. Yeah this is going to work well.
(I have it on record from the Chief Executive of the TPA himself, that the travelators installed in the tunnel will definitely not be the turbo variety that (don't) run at Pearson Terminal 1.)
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.


