To the North !

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
Location: Muskoka

Re: To the North !

Post by sheephunter »

Digits, got your phone message with no retrun number to contact you tonight. Give me a call again in the morning or when you get into Muskoka. I'll watch your progress on the SPOT. For sure you have a place to stay with me, meals and a vehicle to go back and forth if needed. As well, I am hoping that my prop is on by mid day so that you can do some float flying. Craig... you hearing me!
Kevin
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Gone sailing...

Re: To the North !

Post by Prairie Chicken »

I was late finding this thread and must congratulate digits for his enthusiasm & responsible planning of his trip. I also went back & read the first thread.

Talk about writing a resume! If I was a 703 operator I'd certainly give digits a long, close look. Good luck with future endeavours!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Prairie Chicken
tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:33 am

Re: To the North !

Post by tractor driver »

Followed you in to ypl yesterday. I was the one in the yellow airtractor that slowed it up to let you get in on this gusty day. Nice looking plane. Good luck on your adventure, and the many more to come.
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

tractor driver wrote:Followed you in to ypl yesterday. I was the one in the yellow airtractor that slowed it up to let you get in on this gusty day. Nice looking plane. Good luck on your adventure, and the many more to come.
Ohhh, nice, were you the yellow plane that was parked completely at the east end of the apron ? So you were on the other side of the fuel pumps ?

I'm now in Sleephunters custody, enjoying the nice smell of the pine trees and the mild (in the shade) climate of muskoka !

The spot device won't work anymore, but I think the hardest part of the trip is over now. Thank you all for your support and follow ups, it was really nice to know I wasn't completely alone out there. It was/is a hell of a trip, and if someone wants to try it themselves someday, drop me a message or e-mail !

Monday, we leave for the US, don't know where yet, probably somewhere 33% off a straight line between muskoka and dallas :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
User avatar
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Right seat but I own the seat

Re: To the North !

Post by Rudder Bug »

Hello Joe,

Will you eventually post some photos of your journey? I am not the only one who can't wait ya know?

Oh yes and please pass over my best regards to Sheep.

Giles
---------- ADS -----------
 
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: To the North !

Post by SAR_YQQ »

digits_ wrote:
tractor driver wrote:Monday, we leave for the US, don't know where yet, probably somewhere 33% off a straight line between muskoka and dallas :)
Is your final destination Dallas? I am currently in Oklahoma City - just a couple of hundred miles north of DFW. Let me know if you are coming this way.
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

Yes yes, I will make a long report with pictures and movies, in the next couple of weeks. I'll definately keep you all posted!

By the way, my name is not really Joe, that's something ruddersup invented because he can't pronounce my real name correctly :rolleyes:

@SAR: Dallas is the stop just before my final destination (small airfield W of Texas). I'm flying by in Dallas Executive (KRBD), to meet a friend there. I'll look into Oklahoma, Keep you posted !
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:33 am

Re: To the North !

Post by tractor driver »

Yes, Digits, that was me. I used to fly floats with Rudder Bug, we're keeping a lookout for ya.
Fair winds and blue skies,
well done.
g
---------- ADS -----------
 
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
Location: Muskoka

Re: To the North !

Post by sheephunter »

Had the pleasure of hosting "Digits" at our home here in Muskoka over the weekend and just reporting that he got away from CYQA (Muskoka) about an hour ago heading for Niagara Fall Int. with hopes to see the falls. Also, he was considering passing through Toronto to see the CN Tower. He would be already landing or about to by now so I can't say for sure what happened and is thinking that he will be somewhere in Ohio for the evening and is enroute to El Paso, TX via Dallas. He no longer has my SPOT so don't be alarmed not seeing it. Hope all goes well and for those that cannot pronounce his name... don't feel bad. He was with me all weekend and I am embarrassed to say that I had to introduce him as Digits. Sorry about that buddy. Have a safe flight.
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

sheephunter wrote:Had the pleasure of hosting "Digits" at our home here in Muskoka over the weekend and just reporting that he got away from CYQA (Muskoka) about an hour ago heading for Niagara Fall Int. with hopes to see the falls. Also, he was considering passing through Toronto to see the CN Tower. He would be already landing or about to by now so I can't say for sure what happened and is thinking that he will be somewhere in Ohio for the evening and is enroute to El Paso, TX via Dallas. He no longer has my SPOT so don't be alarmed not seeing it. Hope all goes well and for those that cannot pronounce his name... don't feel bad. He was with me all weekend and I am embarrassed to say that I had to introduce him as Digits. Sorry about that buddy. Have a safe flight.
Ah well, your fishing lesson compensated for the inability to pronounce my name :smt040

Greetings from Frankfort, Indiana. It's like a zombie town out here. Freaky. I did fly around the Toronto tower, and I saw the falls (from the air and from the US side). The US customs officer scanned my plane for radioactive (!!!!!) materials.... Luckily, my radiant personality didn't set of his detector.
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
User avatar
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: 50.13N 66.17W

Re: To the North !

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Have a good flight home digits.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Groundloop
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: To the North !

Post by Groundloop »

Had to laugh about the zombies in Indiana. I was in Goshen, Indiana in June and felt the same way. Made me fell really uncomfortable as none of the people wuld smile at you. I was told that it had to do with the large amish population in the area.
---------- ADS -----------
 
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
Location: Muskoka

Re: To the North !

Post by sheephunter »

Not to forget the golf lessons and free Canadian culture in a tourist town on a Fri./Sat night of a long weekend in the middle of the summer. Glad to hear that you did get to see the CN Tower and Niagara Falls. Keep us posted on the remainder of your trip.
---------- ADS -----------
 
round pounder
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:16 am

Re: To the North !

Post by round pounder »

Hi Didgit,

You have made great time coming out of Cambridge Bay, hope to meet you again. Fly safe
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

43°C in Dallas. Field elevation: 600 ft, density altitude: 4300 ft :shock:

3 hours of flying in this weather is actually more tiresome then flying 8 hours in Canada.

Almost the last stop, so you won't get much more updates about the trip anymore. Of course I'll let you know when I have a report with pictures etc online, but that might take a few weeks ;)
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

This is it. Returned the plane. Taking an airline flight back home tomorrow. :smt022 The "after-trip"-depression is setting in already.

I had a great time in your beautiful country, and I hope to be back some day. Lots of good memories, lots of adventures, lots of lovely people, as well as online as offline.

If any of you ever come to Belgium, give me a call/message.


Digits
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52 am

Re: To the North !

Post by ogc »

digits_ wrote:This is it. Returned the plane. Taking an airline flight back home tomorrow. :smt022 The "after-trip"-depression is setting in already.

I had a great time in your beautiful country, and I hope to be back some day. Lots of good memories, lots of adventures, lots of lovely people, as well as online as offline.

If any of you ever come to Belgium, give me a call/message.


Digits
Good to hear that you made it safely.

I am wondering if there is anyone who has done a trip like you before, Texas to the North Pole and back in a 172, pretty damned impressive.

Be sure to post a link to a write up and some pictures of your journey.
---------- ADS -----------
 
ruddersup?
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: To the North !

Post by ruddersup? »

Hey Joe, you promised us some pictures.

ruddersup?
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

ruddersup? wrote:Hey Joe, you promised us some pictures.

ruddersup?
It's been quite busy, I haven't forgotten about you, I'll post it here as soon as I have something online!
Sorry for the delay,
Digits
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
User avatar
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Right seat but I own the seat

Re: To the North !

Post by Rudder Bug »

It's nice to hear from you though Digits; you could have been hit by a car once back home and we wouldn't know!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

Hello all,

I'm still alive! I started putting some report and a few pictures online on my new website:

http://flytheimpossible.com/

It's still only the first days. I'll report back here when it's complete. I just read back this complete topic, which was a nice flight through memory lane. Not a day has gone by without dreaming back about the trip. Reading all the posts again made me feel all fuzzy and warm inside :mrgreen:

I'll keep you posted!
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tiny
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 am
Location: somewhere on a river looking for dropped tools

Re: To the North !

Post by tiny »

Enjoying the narative already. Keep up the good writing.

Tiny
---------- ADS -----------
 
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
Location: Muskoka

Re: To the North !

Post by sheephunter »

Hey Digits, you better look after my daughter over there.
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

sheephunter wrote:Hey Digits, you better look after my daughter over there.
She's only arriving sunday, but no worries, I'll keep her safe :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
Location: Muskoka

Re: To the North !

Post by sheephunter »

Digits,
You're a good man. Last I heard she was waiting at the airport but may well be on her way. Thanks, Kevin
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”