Did anyone get hired with only a high school diploma?
Is it worth waiting or should I go get a degree? What would you recommend?
Thanks so much!
Cheers
69'
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog


Spell checkJohnny#5 wrote:Well you spelled 'reccommend' right so you can't be that dumb....I'd say your probably hirable.


Well.....as a fact of matter, there is presently a very very senior pilot flying for AC who was hired at the time with only grade ten education.ops spec 69 wrote:Hey guys,
Did anyone get hired with only a high school diploma?
69'
Don't just get a degree. Get a useful degree in case the flying doesn't work out or you end up changing your mind about a career choice sometime in the future.ops spec 69 wrote:Is it worth waiting or should I go get a degree? What would you recommend?
Like labour law.Rockie wrote:Don't just get a degree. Get a useful degree in case the flying doesn't work out or you end up changing your mind about a career choice sometime in the future.ops spec 69 wrote:Is it worth waiting or should I go get a degree? What would you recommend?
It wasn't by "mistake" and he never did finish high school. Oh... the horror! He was hired for his ability. If it is the same guy he was flying Hercs when he was 20.land3 wrote:Well.....as a fact of matter, there is presently a very very senior pilot flying for AC who was hired at the time with only grade ten education.ops spec 69 wrote:Hey guys,
Did anyone get hired with only a high school diploma?
69'
Of course this was a long time ago, somewhere back in 1973 or so, and it was a convoluted situation where his application was processed by mistake! I don't know whether he ever did finish high school.
The story came from a pretty good scource...a fellow home room classmate of his who eventually became a flight attendant.....she swears it's true.
This will never happen again...get your degree!



Different guy...this one wasn't flying any hercs at 20.... this story was about a misplaced application file late one Friday afternoon on a messy managers office desk.....anyway, it's just an interesting story...... the guy has had a fantastic and successful career.....kudos to him!AEROBAT wrote:It wasn't by "mistake" and he never did finish high school. Oh... the horror! He was hired for his ability. If it is the same guy he was flying Hercs when he was 20.land3 wrote:Well.....as a fact of matter, there is presently a very very senior pilot flying for AC who was hired at the time with only grade ten education.ops spec 69 wrote:Hey guys,
Did anyone get hired with only a high school diploma?
69'
Of course this was a long time ago, somewhere back in 1973 or so
This will never happen again...get your degree!
And he started with PWA out of YXD.
I did a distant ed degree program in the states and got an interview. ...I was pfo'd..but i got an interview.ywg9 wrote:well you bring up a interesting point. does anyone on the inside know it distance ed schools such and herzing/CDI or others are recogonized
You're absolutely right, I will strive to be the best aviator I can possibly be, and in the process I will go through the following processes to prove it.maryolsen wrote:You should strive better for yourself and it will take you far from what you've dreaming of. Think about it.
Likewise if you have type ratings on other aircraft. How come somebody doesn't need a degree to be a competent retainer of the 737FCOM?rjonno wrote:A good university degree is not just valuable insofar as the actual content you learn; Rather, it develops your ability to learn. I imagine that AC gives preference to people with degrees because by having a degree they have proven that they can pick up a big boring textbook and know it in two weeks, or analyze a complex piece of text and be able to explain it (A320 FCOM comes to mind). These are highly transferable skills and are valuable whether you're a 777 jockey or a professor.