Missinippi Airways' AOC suspended - 22 Oct 2011

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Missinippi Airways' AOC suspended - 22 Oct 2011

Post by CD »

Transport Canada suspends Missinippi Airways' Air Operator Certificate

WINNIPEG, Oct. 22, 2011 /CNW/ - Transport Canada has suspended Missinippi Airways' Air Operator Certificate, effective October 21, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. CDT. Without an Air Operator Certificate, a company cannot provide commercial air services in Canada.

This action is based on safety concerns due to deficiencies with the company's Operational Control System identified during Transport Canada's inspection earlier this week. This inspection was scheduled to confirm that corrective actions put in place following a previous suspension in July are working effectively.

Transport Canada has taken this action in the interest of public safety. Transport Canada consulted with Missinippi Airways throughout the period leading up to the suspension. This suspension does not rule out further regulatory action.

Transport Canada will continue to work with Missinippi Airways. The company must demonstrate that it meets all applicable safety regulations before Transport Canada will reissue its Air Operator Certificate.

Transport Canada is online at http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tc-main.htm. Subscribe to e-news or stay connected through RSS, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.

This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.

For further information:
Transport Canada Communications, Winnipeg
204-983-6315

Press release here...
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Missinippi Airways' AOC suspended - 22 Oct 2011

Post by North Shore »

Uh-oh!

Is 'missinippi' Cree for 'good-bye'?

Too bad, they looked to have a pretty nice operation.....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
silverstar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by silverstar »

They never had a nice operation. It is a joke show there.

HuD 91gt
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HuD 91gt »

I always enjoyed my time there. Everyone has their own opinion, hopefully yours has something to back it up.

They are definitely going through some difficulties, but I am sure they will be ironed out with time.

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

silverstar wrote:They never had a nice operation. It is a joke show there.
I beg to differ. I flew for Beaver Air/Missinnippi for over 6 years. In my experience it was a well run operation. I haven't worked there for the last 6 or 7 years however. Since I left they have expanded quite a bit, adding multiple aircraft. Also the exploration has died off cutting out their work out of Rankin. So things have obviously changed allot since I left but I had a very positive experience with that company.

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

About a year ago, I was doing some consulting work and needed to find a qualified PA31 Training Pilot for my client. I phoned no less than 8 AOC holders in the area who operated PA31s to use their staff for a substantial fee to train one of my client's pilots, who would in turn train the remaining staff.

After discussion, it was determined that none of those called had complete training records indicating they were qualified according to the CARs and CASS except for Missinippi Airways. After a copy of their Training Pilot's records was obtained and closely reviewed for regulatory compliance, my client's staff member was trained, and after other CAP matters were dealt with, the AOC was returned to operational status.

I'd find it interesting to know what aspect of the CAPs developed to deal with PVI deficiencies had not been complied with.

Foggy

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

While I do not like to speculate, and this is third hand information so take it at that. I heard it had something to do with de-icing procedures, witnessed by a transport inspector.

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

Pouring on water and beating it with a broomstick? Or maybe not cleaning it at all because "there wasn't much frost?"

Just a caution to all, by not complying with your COM, you're jeopardizing the employment of everybody at your company. Argue about it behind the scenes, but out in public, do what it says.

Foggy

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Deicing/anticing program requirements are in the 703/704 COM (edited) under operational support & services.
You better have them and be following them.

Last edited by The Hammer on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

aren't they a 703 op?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Usually TC only suspends an OC for two things. Not having the proper paperwork/procedures, or because there has been a terrible crash.

They don't suspend operators for being dangerous, unscrupulous, or carrying out illegal activities unless it results in one of the above conditions.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

Didn't they have one just reinstated after it was pulled a few months ago following the Van accident?

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Code: Select all

Usually TC only suspends an OC for two things. Not having the proper paperwork/procedures, or because there has been a terrible crash.

They don't suspend operators for being dangerous, unscrupulous, or carrying out illegal activities unless it results in one of the above conditions.
The above is the truth.

The astounding part is they get away with such oversight and are uncountable regardless of the facts.

The public is either unaware of these issues or just don't care.

A recent result of TCCA's unaccountability is the alleged pay out to Sonic Blue of five million dollars of our money, with zero accountability to the taxpayer.

Canada is an amazing country, where the population is so ignorant of where their tax money is spent.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
High and Behind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by High and Behind »

Cat Driver wrote:

Code: Select all

Canada is an amazing country, where the population is so ignorant of where their tax money is spent.[/quote]

Really?

I don't think it's all that unique to Canada. If you told people from any developed country, I'm sure they would be astonished to know where their tax dollars go at times.

What amazes me is a government that effectively looses an election still remains in power. And we still call it democracy.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer
pollyperkins
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pollyperkins »

High and Behind wrote:
"What amazes me is a government that effectively looses an election still remains in power. And we still call it democracy."

+1

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Justjohn »

pollyperkins wrote:High and Behind wrote:
"What amazes me is a government that effectively looses an election still remains in power. And we still call it democracy."

+1

Please explain to me how they effectively lost the election ? May 2 was pretty clear, no ?

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if this is technically a form of flying.
oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

some whine away because Canada uses the first past the post in elections. a word of caution about proportional representation
you might not like what you get either very little gets done compared to our system gridlock or a prepetual state of minority
that is partly why the debt crisis in europe exsists gov't in order to form cololitions have to promise more spending usually and europe is so far in the ditch it will take 40 +yrs of 0% spending increases just to get back to where they were i 1980 so much for the grand kids higher education. we are 550 billion in the ditch too and 9.3 million baby boomers eligable for retirement in the next 15 yrs with only 6 million taxpayer to replace them!! guess what unless we too go on a hard diet of less is more for a 10 yrs before the last boomers exit stage left . kids will be royally screwed .

.NOW back to the thread. sky north ,molson air, perimeter, cdn flyers will pick up the medvac slack and the oc will remain in limbo until the culture internally changes "the its good enough " obviously didnt work tc is looking for perfection especially after the fatal accident , to do it otherwise is well ummm economic disaster .

wish them all well 8)

The De-Icer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The De-Icer »

Why did they get shut down? Anybody know?

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

High and Behind wrote:
What amazes me is a government that effectively looses an election still remains in power. And we still call it democracy.
It IS democracy man. Just because you don't like who won, it isn't the fault of the system. What the hell is 'effectively losing' anyhow? The CPC won this last election with a greater percentage of the vote then when the LPC 'won' in 1997 and 2004. Did the LPC 'effectively lose' those ones too? Oh sorry, I forgot visceral hate of Harper trumps all logic... :roll:
Justjohn wrote: Please explain to me how they effectively lost the election ? May 2 was pretty clear, no ?
They can't. All they know is they don't like the guy who won and will grasp at anything, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Lets call it being 'effectively retarded' ;)

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Just wondering. In theory. Does TC have the authority to suspend the OC of a company designated as an "essential" service? Just wondering if they would have the "balls' to suspend a company like Wasaya? (this is in no way a shot at Wasaya.....just using them as an example) It would be interesting.

Return to “General Comments”