Pilot Weight?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

thisgoodone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pilot Weight?

Post by thisgoodone »

I've noticed a few threads here that mention the importance of a Pilots weight, This goes hand in hand with health. Are there any advantages/disadvantages when it comes to getting a job. Are lightweights more readily hired? Or is this not really an issue at all. What are the legalities of not hiring someone because they are on the heavy side? Any comments appreciated
---------- ADS -----------

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Pilot Weight?

Post by sky's the limit »

It's an interesting topic.

There are certainly every type of body out there, with a great many of the older Medium pilots being substantially over-weight. "Eating your way into a Medium," is the old saying, and I've definitely seen that play out over the years.

Flying a smaller machine, 206, 500, Astar, etc, on remote jobs you tend to be on your own, rolling your own drums, filing your own nets, and packing you own machine. It certainly takes a level of fitness to be able to do that work day and day out. When I was flying lights and intermediates I found the job itself actually gave me a good workout keeping me fit and trim. Once you move into the larger machines, there are other people to help, or do things entirely. Fortunately fitness is something I've always had, and work on with various sports, but you do see a lot of "soft" pilots out there.

There are minimum pilots weights on some machines, generally around 160-170lbs, but being too large in a light machine is going to impact what you can lift, and by what margins. The larger the machine, the less % of the total weight is made up by the pilot, so the difference between a 160lb pilot and a 230lb pilot is reduced.

stl

thisgoodone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thisgoodone »

Did I read that right? Minimums? This must relate the a minimum physical capacity of a pilot

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The minimum pilot weight limit is for weight and balance limits on small helicopters.

Being small has no affect on one being able to fly any aircraft, as long as you can reach all the controls and see out of the thing.

I am quite small and haven't found any aircraft I couldn't fly yet......but I do need ballast weight with me to solo some light helicopters.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

So do I ..

Alone in the 205 or 212 on the long-line I need a good bit of balast up front or I'm hitting the stops on the cyclic - not a good thing.

I hope I never make Min weight..! Lol

stl

Daz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Daz »

Another small dude here. I'm a low timer; most of my time so far has been in Robinsons - when flying the 44 alone, I put a 25 pound barbell plate under the seat to get over the minimum. Although I can fly without it, I also use the Robinson back rest ("booster seat" :mrgreen: ) as everything's more comfy.

I spent a summer working sightseeing tours near Drumheller. On the really hot and calm days I always had a little more available power than my co-workers; both who were about 80-100 lbs more than me - kinda nice to have that leeway.

At 5'3" and around 140 pounds, if I ever surpass the minimum weight of some machines I suspect I'll have issues with aft cyclic travel. :wink: :lol: Good thing my other career as a ski patroller helps keep me fit!

- Darren

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

The BHO6 had a minimum 150lbs for Pilot. I was just over the number, but with cloths on - it's not too difficult.

Ecco
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ecco »

Range extender will put you back to 160 min pic/W.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

Interesting. I flew with range extender mostly, and never ran out of cyclic. It's hard to judge your weight when fully clothed. Actually, could add up to 18 lbs. Guess I would have been up to that. Anyway, I have known a couple pilots who carried weight. ( 10 - 20 lbs won't intrude on your useful load much. Fuel burn will take care of that.) Never knew an employer to complain, and hey, lots of whirly girls I know were under too....

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Each machine is different, some markedly so. I've flown 206's that were extremely aft CofG, others where unless you had people or baggage the toes came up last. Mediums are the same, but generally the companies set them up to be toward the rear limit of the CofG envelope, for a number of reasons, but mostly to reduce balast.

It was nice of Eurocopter and others to make machines that don't care as much... or at all.

stl

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Should read "minimum cockpit weight", most of the wee guys I know just slap a 24 on the floor next to them.

Petit-Lion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Petit-Lion »

In the Bell 206 B2, it's 150 lbs minimum to solo, and 200 lbs minimum if the Range Extender is used (i.e. more than 76 gal of fuel in the tank). So I have to use some ballast.

dws76team
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dws76team »

Its nice to know this good news.thanks............

Annie111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Annie111 »

Well, I have also heard that weight is important!
But I think that doesn't mean lightweight pilots are easily hired.
If your health is good and the weight is within the required boarders, then it's OK with hiring you, IMHO.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”