RIP CYKZ

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bigguy1
Rank 0
Rank 0

RIP CYKZ

Post by bigguy1 »

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/ ... se-by-2013

Buttonville could close by 2013

Buttonville airport could close as early as 2013 to make way for a massive redevelopment that will include a cinema, office and retail space, residential and possibly a 60-storey tower.
The $4-billion joint investment between Cadillac Fairview and the Sifton family’s Armadale Properties calls for a transit-oriented downtown ambience with an iconic building for Markham, planning consultant Don Given said Tuesday.
If Markham council wanted it, a 60-storey “elegant point tower” can be erected on the site to become “a beacon at the end of (Hwy.) 404”, Mr. Given told town councillors.
“That’s not Markham,” Mr. Given said of the building height. “But if you want one, we can do it.”
Local Councillor Alan Ho said he would like the 60-storey tower to become a good example in Markham of how parking wouldn’t be a problem.
The Buttonville concept plan includes more than 8 million square feet, which could also include a hotel, health club and convention space. It also features a lake abutting Hwy. 404.
The proposed water feature could be used for recreational activities, such as dragon boat races and kayaking, Mr. Given said.
“It’s going to be more than a business park — it’ll have character,” he said, adding the site will remain largely in private ownership, with Cadillac Fairview footing costs of future programming there.
While Mr. Given describes the lands as “the last truly great site” in the GTA, access to Hwy. 404 and transit will be challenges, he added.
Solutions could include Viva routes through the Buttonville site and to the TTC’s Don Mills Station, the extension of Allstate Parkway, widening of 16th Avenue, direct connection from Hwy. 404 interchange to the site and a new east-west connection from Woodbine Avenue, Mr. Given said.
The plans also includes an aggressive construction start in 2013 and occupancy by 2015, in time for the Pan Am Games.
He said employees and tenants of the Buttonville airport have already been notified of the airport’s 2013 closure.
He also said the not-yet-built Pickering airport is intended to replace Buttonville airport.
“The two can’t compete with each other,” Mr. Given said, adding other locations in the play for Buttonville airport’s relocation include Barrie and Oshawa.
Last summer, Transport Canada identified the contentious Pickering lands as a prime location in the Golden Horseshoe for a new airport as early as 2027.
However, Derek Sifton, president of Toronto Airways Ltd., which owns and operates Buttonville airport, said at the time his family would like to transfer Buttonville airport to Pickering as soon as operations end in Markham.
The Buttonville redevelopment plan was well received by town councillors, with Deputy Mayor Jack Heath asking staff to report back on transit and Pickering airport issues.

----

- That Derek Sifton was never great at business. Please raise your hands if you would sell your airport for $150 million to get a minority stake in a $4 billion investment. I wouldn't be surprised if Cadillac Fairview attempts a hostile takeover down the road :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

This is bad.
Pilots in the future landing in the parking lot wrote:The GPS said it's an airport.

Dagwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: RIP CYKZ

Post by Dagwood »

he would like the 60-storey tower to become a good example in Markham of how parking wouldn’t be a problem.
This statement makes no sense, unless the 60-storey tower is a parking garage :smt017

D_Thissen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by D_Thissen »

"He said employees and tenants of the Buttonville airport have already been notified of the airport’s 2013 closure."

Good to know.. I must have missed that memo. I know a lot of people who will be loosing their jobs :(

dominusanopheles
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dominusanopheles »

The bottleneck of this industry starts at the top, not at the bottom. what a shame.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

D_Thissen wrote: I know a lot of people who will be loosing their jobs :(
They can always get jobs in the new mall........without training bonds!

JDW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JDW »

"He said employees and tenants of the Buttonville airport have already been notified of the airport’s 2013 closure."

Good to know.. I must have missed that memo.
Sorry to head about that dan, maybe time to relocate out to bc? :D

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

So Buttonville is going the way of King City and Maple. I would not be surprised if Oshawa will also fall to the developers, especially if Pickering becomes an airport.

Mind you the People or Planes folks are still active in Pickering and there will be an outcry. I don't see runways in Pickering operating by 2013.

Barrie anybody?

The more interesting bit is that there's a number of nearby businesses that operate aircraft that will be looking at upping stakes and going to Waterloo or Brantford, maybe even Hamilton.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Same reason the drive-in movie went the way of the dodo. The real estate is worth more than simple landing fees/rent etc., can even start to cover. General aviation in this country is dead. Look what Chicago did to Meigs Field! If it wasn't for Bobby Deluce Toronto Island Airport would be a Red Light district......still can't see the down side to that one....
Where will Seneca train all those future "gifts to aviation"? Really wish I cared.

D_Thissen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by D_Thissen »

^ Not a fan of Seneca?
Josh, if i could find a job there I would..

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Hey DOC
There are 3 drive ins here within an hours drive of YYZ and to be honest it's a great way to kill a slow summer evening. We go regularly to the Barrie tripple drive in.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
mgeni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mgeni »

this sad very sad! question is is it going to do more good than harm?

Return to “General Comments”