International Pilot Shortage

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

International Pilot Shortage

Post by Panama Jack »

http://www.businessinsider.com/asian-pi ... ge-2011-12

To the usual cynics on this Forum- bugger-off. Our summer vacations and December vacations were cancelled because we don't have enough people to crew the flights and our monthly schedules have the legally minimum allowable number of days off. About every two weeks I get an unsolicited invitation to apply for a job with other companies.
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: International Pilot Shortage

Post by Nark »

Tell your daggon HR department to give me a call then.

My resume is on file!

On an actual serious note, two classmates of mine are over there now. One had 3 interviews and was offered 3 jobs by various ME companies, the other took a 777 FO spot with a well known long-haul carrier.

Just like back in 05/06 if you had a heartbeat, you were qualified. It's starting to look like that now. Good luck on getting a vacation.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetsetfly »

A potentially even graver shortage looms of maintenance personnel, aviation groups say. Boeing forecasts that Asia will need a quarter-million new technicians over the next two decades, up from about 46,500 now.

...and yet airlines like emirates wont hire maintenance as they need current experience on there fleet goodluck with finding people with that sort of current experience

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Similar experience with our company, though we have been in hiring and training mode for a few months now, so the future does not look to bad.

The maintenance is a big issue. Companies are looking at the US military model for maintenance.

The problem for north america is that the overseas companies are taking the experience, and paying well for it...And while that means some rapid advancement for new pilots, it also means less experience in the cockpit.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Edi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Edi »

I agree the shortage is in Asia, but it's interesting to know how many canadian pilots are leaving the homeland and go to work overseas. At the level of experience the asian airlines demand, they need to have already few thousands hours on airline jet and that means over 30 years old, family, kids, credits etc.

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

I am off to HKG next week for a second interview and have a few others coming up, all in Asia. I've been watching the demand growing and the requirements changing steadily over the past 6months.

The deals there are far superior to anything we would ever see here. I have a ok job here with good crews but the package is night and day, so how can I not look at it? In some cases double and triple what I make here, direct entry Captain, commutable and paid for, better time off, accommodations paid, annual bonuses and or contract completion bonuses.

I know the Middle East is busting lose too but for me its no where I want to be, too unstable.

So yeah a huge international pilot shortage and its growing daily, but don't forget an economic meltdown could bring that all to a halt overnight

BTW Nark, according to a few of my friends at Dragon no hiring yet

dominusanopheles
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dominusanopheles »

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

A pilot shortage is like saying there's not enough people in Canada to fill the demand even though there's only growth in the prairie provinces and there's substantial unemployment in the country. You guys should really quantify this stuff.. how many hours and what kind of experience do you have that you're getting unsolicited job offers? I can guarantee you that most guys with under 1000 hours are still hard up and those with 200 are only offered ramp positions.

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Indeed. There is always a "shortage" of skilled, experienced pilots
with 5000TT and thousands of hours as PIC on type, who are
willing to work for crap wages in sh1tty places :wink:

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Yes indeed and the Slap Chop is a finely crafted, quality kitchen appliance also!

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Chuck Yeagermister
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chuck Yeagermister »

Slowstream,

Just wondering if you went through a job placement agency or did you apply directly. Also wondering what you know about companys over there ie who to avoid etc.... I have a type rating on the A-330 unfortunately with not much time on type. Previous to this EX-Jazz lots of Jet, 705 exp.

Thanks!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

who are
willing to work for crap wages in sh1tty places
Interesting comment about crap wages and shitty places.
Better wages by far in Asia, and the lifestyle and place , in my opinion, beats the heck out of being in small town Ontario.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

trey kule wrote:
Better wages by far in Asia, and the lifestyle and place , in my opinion, beats the heck out of being in small town Ontario.
BEST REPLY POST OF IT'S KIND EVERRRRR on this site.
Not sure what why young people won't just leave the nest and spread their wings.
living here is absolutely killing me when amazing opportunities are a mouse click away from sending my CV's. My excuse is I have an 80 year kid to care for (mother) which I promised my best friend (father) I would care for until her end days. Once life changes....I WILL BE GONE NEVER EVER to see another snow flake ever again!!!! Hopefully this "shortage" will still be going on.

It drives me nuts to see talented, good guys/gals staying behind because of their girlfriends/boyfriends. THERE'S A WHOLE WORLD of girlfriends/boyfriends to be had you low attention span having mother phuquers ;) Heck you can have a new one every night if you're not overly douchy. :) *whoa...did I just vomit that out online*

Anyway click the twitter link below and....JOIN MY CULT MOFO'S!!!! I'm about to turn up the open wound circus show up a few notches!!!!!

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I WAS Birddog wrote:
trey kule wrote:
It drives me nuts to see talented, good guys/gals staying behind because of their girlfriends/boyfriends. THERE'S A WHOLE WORLD of girlfriends/boyfriends to be had you low attention span having mother phuquers ;)
...and wives...
especially in Asia.

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I kinda like where I am, but I'd work in Asia for a year to check it out for a $200,000 contract.

I wonder if they'd be interested in a 40+ year old with an expired Multi-IFR, 260 hours and a float rating. :smt017

If yes, then there would definitely be a shortage. :smt045

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

istp wrote:I kinda like where I am, but I'd work in Asia for a year to check it out for a $200,000 contract.

I wonder if they'd be interested in a 40+ year old with an expired Multi-IFR, 260 hours and a float rating. :smt017

If yes, then there would definitely be a shortage. :smt045
I did not even have the multi... :smt040

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

the lifestyle and place , in my opinion, beats the heck out of being in small town
One man's dogsh1t is another man's fertilizer (shrug).

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

My excuse is I have an 80 year kid to care for (mother) which I promised my best friend (father) I would care for until her end days.
Was that the most endearing post ever made by IABD?

Nicely done.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Expat wrote:
I WAS Birddog wrote:
trey kule wrote:
It drives me nuts to see talented, good guys/gals staying behind because of their girlfriends/boyfriends. THERE'S A WHOLE WORLD of girlfriends/boyfriends to be had you low attention span having mother phuquers ;)
...and wives...
especially in Asia.
Wives? As in plural!? Haha YOU'RE LIVIN' THE DREAM ;)
It always baffles me that this IS the best industry for opportunity for adventure. Yet these young peyeOHlets prefer to move to Terminal 4 (Barrie Ontario) slugging up and down the 400 for $35k a year!!! Might as well be a plumber then. Low expectation Kraft Dinner eating khaki pants wearing married & miserable weight gaining crew meal eating chumps!!

:D

JOIN MY CULT MOFO's MUAH HAHAHA ;)

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

yycflyguy wrote:
My excuse is I have an 80 year kid to care for (mother) which I promised my best friend (father) I would care for until her end days.
Was that the most endearing post ever made by IABD?

Nicely done.
Shhhhh you're making me look soft on here ;)

Return to “General Comments”