I did some math concerning our ESP...

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

New Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I did some math concerning our ESP...

Post by New Flyer »

---------- ADS -----------

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

bede check your pm

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

It would be going great if only I could keep my hands out of the cookie Jar :smt040
I had actually gotten out of the ESP for about a year ( I needed the take home pay) then I used a bunch to pay for wedding and such. So ive been regretting Not contributing as I'm 6 months doing all in again. This time it's easier to handle as I'm bringing in more net. In June it comes on line. I have a new plan using a fixed mortgage deduction and investing the rest. Assume 0 stock growth and 5% dividend I should retire very well.

As for our stock price IMO it's going to be flat if not sliding a bit with the rest of the markets for some time. To be honest I'm not worried- I'd be much more concerned if I was buying at $20+ right now.
Ask me again In a few years, hopefully I'm further ahead :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

"It would be going great if only I could keep my hands out of the cookie Jar"

I suppose that is one advantage of a pension plan. It won't allow you to raid the cookie jar.

Hope you get it back on track. I will check back in 2 years.

The Raven

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Yeah, it's hard not to the first few years, that's why I recommend to new hires to only do what you can afford till the higher pay scales.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

KAG, if you are getting an average of 8% return, you can manage my portfolio.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

KAG,just curious... you aiming for 8% return before, or after you take off inflation?
Thanks for the info, BTW.

PS Merry Christmas to you guys 8)

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

That was before inflation.
My new plan involves dividends paying stocks, which corrects some for inflation. My new plan and numbers are a 5.5% dividend is my goal.
This is all theory right now, I'll keep this thread alive annually with an update.

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

Bede wrote:I made an Excel spreadsheet that calculates all this stuff, when you can retire, and accounts for inflation, cost of living, etc. I had it as a google spreadsheet open to everyone and all the YYZ porters got a link for it. Unfortunately, some people couldn't grasp the "don't change the fields" and I got tired of fixing it everyday.

I wanted to upload the spreadsheet to AvCanada, but it won't allow that extension. Any suggestions?
I have a suggestion. rename the file extenstion to one that is allowed and tell us what to rename it to after we download it!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Joe is supposed to upload it sometimes. (He's in S. America).

Sorry, I should know this, but how would I change the file name? I tried renaming it, but it comes up as retirement calculator.jpg.xls.

I even tried doing the old school cmd way.

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

Unless something has changed it should be simple. When you view the files in the folder can you see the extension? if not, go into folder options(tools/folder options/view) and change the folder view settings by unchecking the box named "hide extensions for known file types".

That should make it an easy edit.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Thanks Jasta. OK, we'll try this. Change the extension to .xlsx

Some info on the spreadsheet. You can change all the bold fields at the top. All figures are given in 2011 (until May 2012) numbers. As the years increase, so does the cost of living, so inflation is captured that way.

If you see any screw ups, send me a PM.

Attachments
WJA Retirement Calculator.pdf
(27.1 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

If you can realize 8% return on your investments with any sort of reliability, you probably shouldn't be spending your time in the pointy end of an airplane, at least not to make a living.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

...that's the tough part, and only time will tell. Given what's going on in the markets I'm thinking 5% would be more realistic.
Happy new years:)

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Hi Kag,

So you're now 4 1/2 years into your plan (3 years since your last update). Care to tell us how it's going? I suspect you are doing pretty well. The stock market has been on a tear over the past 5 years. I would think you are pretty close to what you've anticipated, maybe even a little bit ahead.

The Raven

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

I can say that the WestJet ESP shares in my RRSP have given me an average 13% return compounded over the last 8 years, although I have no expectation that this spectacular rate will continue.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Yeah, I can't stop dipping into it. So that plan never happened.
It sounds great on paper but life happens (2 kids since) and is only going to be this year as a cpt that I'll be able to not touch it. Ask me again in a few years. It's amazing how fast that account grows, but it's also staggering how fast you can go through your money and I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any measure. It's kind of frustrating to be honest.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

If I could offer just one piece of advice that you look into its to look into the info on www.daveramsey.com and listen to his radio show .... better yet, the podcast for a "best of the day's callers" compressed version.

http://www.daveramsey.com/show/radio/?snid=show.listen

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

As we approach the end of 2015 I thought I would resurrect this thread. I am interested to know how everyone has made out with their investments this past year. It's not been a good year for the stock market. So far the TSX is down almost 10%. The S&P500 and the DJIA are both down about 3%.

I have been fairly lucky, my investment portfolio only lost 1%. That includes management fees. I am heavily invested in dividend paying stocks and corporate bonds. While my portfolio would certainly be considered conservative (and boring) it has saved me from losing very much during this turbulent year. If I was younger I might be attempted to invest more aggressively but at my age I am content to plod along at a slow and steady pace. Being conservative will limit my upside gains if the markets rebound next year, but I can live with that.

Anyway, how did the rest of you do? Hopefully some of you made a bit over the year. Also, if anyone has any suggestions regarding good financial planning books or websites please pass them along.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Well, my savings and portfolio are all in USD so this year has been kind to me if I were to liquidate and return it to Canada bucks. Seems like only a couple short years ago CAD was 1.05USD, now it's .72 and trending lower with no floor in sight. That's massive. I don't think most people even appreciate the power and influence forex has on their investments. Even while they're bitching about the price of everything imported...

The aggregate portfolio increase has been about 4.5%, not much above inflation but given the crazy year its been I'm fine with anything that holds the ground. Simple, passive balanced portfolio 60/40. But hardly any Canadian exposure.

My only investment tip would be to go long USDCAD and minimize Canadian investments. The TSX is the single worst performing index anywhere and I just don't see any good news for the Canadian economy in 2016 whatsoever. At the same time tons of risk with highest levels of debt ever, both personal and every level of government. :cry:

Good time to get and stay liquid.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “WestJet”