F-35 looking more like white elephant

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: F-35 looking more like white elephant

Post by frosti »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: There has also been no discussion about F 35 specific infrastructure costs, which could again become another hidden but nonetheless real cost
A necessary cost. Putting brand new fighter aircraft in 50 year old hangars that weren't designed for them is stupid.
---------- ADS -----------

Banger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Banger »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Well it would seem that the extra cost of extending the existing CF18's would be solely due to the fact that Lockheed can't deliver the F 35 before the current end of service date. It is a fact that any existing gen 4.5 fighter could be delivered well before the CF18 retirement therefore I think it is entirely appropriate that when discussing the total program costs of the F35 buy, the costs of a further CF 18 extension should be applied.
Well using that logic why don't we factor into the cost of the F35 things like the salaries of pilots and techs? And since bases like Cold Lake and Bagotville exist solely to support fighter operations, why don't we include the costs of running those bases as well? I'm sure anybody with a basic understanding of accounting could inflate the price even further. We don't use that sort of logic because it's unreasonable. There's a cost of doing business in here somewhere.

No matter what we're flying in 2017, or whenever the F35 gets here, flying fighters is going to cost money. Putting it on one balance sheet, or another is not going to change anything.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Banger wrote:
Big Pistons Forever wrote: Well it would seem that the extra cost of extending the existing CF18's would be solely due to the fact that Lockheed can't deliver the F 35 before the current end of service date. It is a fact that any existing gen 4.5 fighter could be delivered well before the CF18 retirement therefore I think it is entirely appropriate that when discussing the total program costs of the F35 buy, the costs of a further CF 18 extension should be applied.
Well using that logic why don't we factor into the cost of the F35 things like the salaries of pilots and techs?
Because any aircraft we buy is going to obviously require pilots and techs. It is Only if we buy the F 35, that we have to spend the extra money to extend the CF 18.

lilflyboy262
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lilflyboy262 »

I scrolled back 10 pages, so not sure if its been posted or not,

but go onto youtube and check out the carrier trails... like it or not, its an impressive piece of kit.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

As Yogi bear says "It is Deja vu all over again"
Anyone in procurement should look at the General Dynamics/McDonnel Douglas A-12 project.
The F-35 project was really just a trap to catch foreign spies.

The real weapon systems that will win any future air conflict are still as secret as the Aurora :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

2R wrote:As Yogi bear says "It is Deja vu all over again"
Anyone in procurement should look at the General Dynamics/McDonnel Douglas A-12 project.
The F-35 project was really just a trap to catch foreign spies.

The real weapon systems that will win any future air conflict are still as secret as the Aurora :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Not to be a nit picker but that would be Yogi Berra. One was a baseball manager, the other was a cartoon bear. :mrgreen:

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Here I fixed it for you but not to nit pick :D
shitdisturber wrote:Not to be a nit picker but that would be Yogi Berra. One was a baseball CATCHER, the other was a cartoon bear. :mrgreen:

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Here I fixed it for you but not to nit pick :D
shitdisturber wrote:Not to be a nit picker but that would be Yogi Berra. One was a baseball CATCHER, the other was a cartoon bear. :mrgreen:
Sorry cdn but you didn't fix diddly, he was also the manager of both the Yankees and the Mets. I have no proof but I have some deeply recessed memory that suggests his famous mangled quote was from his days as a manager. (edit) Just found a reference, that one was from his playing days.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

He was more known as the greatest catcher of all time, but yes he did throw a few years of mediocre managing in there too...however, his quotes come from throughout his entire basebll career and it is often said that the cartoon bear was named after him which he was repeatedly upset about being called "yogi bear"....off topic but interesting none the less.

So do you think we will avtually take delivery of F-35's or go for something else?

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

cdnpilot77 wrote:He was more known as the greatest catcher of all time, but yes he did throw a few years of mediocre managing in there too...however, his quotes come from throughout his entire basebll career and it is often said that the cartoon bear was named after him which he was repeatedly upset about being called "yogi bear"....off topic but interesting none the less.

So do you think we will avtually take delivery of F-35's or go for something else?
I suspect now that the Japanese have ordered them we will get them eventually; whether or not that's a good thing is an entirely different matter. No matter how you cut and slice it; sixty-five is not enough and they've left no room for attrition either. There will be accidents, especially during the early years; the Hornet is a case in point. We lost several during the early 80's due to our unfamiliarity with their manoueverability and g loading. It's also inevitable that we're going to lose some due to engine failures caused by bird strikes. Back when I was a rampy on the Hornet we'd have probably on average a birdstrike a week during prime bird season. If you take said bird up the intake of a single engine aircraft you get an ejection, just like the guys in the Hawk in Moose Jaw. If you're in the Arctic far from civilization, you're probably going to die before anybody gets to you; that's just the way it is! McKay can guarantee all he wants that there won't be engine failures; but I did my time wearing blue, they're going to happen, for any number of potential reasons!

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I think you are Bang on! I wish it weren't true though, there has to be a better option, it just hasn't been thought of yet.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I can't believe it took 21 pages before this one could get derailed into a productive discussion.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

shitdisturber wrote: We lost several during the early 80's due to our unfamiliarity with their manoueverability and g loading.
Manoeuvrability and g loading are very similar to the Hornet's. The F-15/16/18 series was a novelty, in terms of manoeuvrability because they were the result of John Boyd's studies about just that. No plane before then were built the way these were/are built using the principles preached by Boyd. Yes, there will be other challenges (the Helmet being one), but with today's simulators, I don't think we're going to lose as many JSF as Hornets.

shitdisturber wrote: If you take said bird up the intake of a single engine aircraft you get an ejection, just like the guys in the Hawk in Moose Jaw. If you're in the Arctic far from civilization, you're probably going to die before anybody gets to you; that's just the way it is! McKay can guarantee all he wants that there won't be engine failures; but I did my time wearing blue, they're going to happen, for any number of potential reasons!
Are you really comparing that shitty Adour engine to the P&W F135? You can't even compare it to the Hornet's engines. They were designed and built 30 years apart.

I agree, they will fail. It's designed by a human, built by a human, maintained by a human and operated by a human. It will eventually fail. However, I believe their fail rate will be much lower than what we are used to. In the end, it's risk management. How many catastrophic engine failures did we get in the last 30+ years? Pretty much everybody I know had to shut down and engine at one point or another, however had it been the only engine, you can bet we would have milked that engine all the way to a place to land or punch out safely.

As far as not having contingency planning for attrition, well, the line will be opened for many years after we buy them. I am sure that when the needs come to get new airframe, we will be able to buy more.

In the end, the JSF is great for us. It brings expertise and technology in Canada, by having companies building parts and we get a cut on every JSF that is sold, being a participant nation. If we were to pull out of the program now, we get off that wagon and get nothing, when we decide to buy it again in 5 years (because it is the plane we need)

Going for the deck at corner
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

AuxBatOn wrote:
shitdisturber wrote: We lost several during the early 80's due to our unfamiliarity with their manoueverability and g loading.
Manoeuvrability and g loading are very similar to the Hornet's. The F-15/16/18 series was a novelty, in terms of manoeuvrability because they were the result of John Boyd's studies about just that. No plane before then were built the way these were/are built using the principles preached by Boyd. Yes, there will be other challenges (the Helmet being one), but with today's simulators, I don't think we're going to lose as many JSF as Hornets.

shitdisturber wrote: If you take said bird up the intake of a single engine aircraft you get an ejection, just like the guys in the Hawk in Moose Jaw. If you're in the Arctic far from civilization, you're probably going to die before anybody gets to you; that's just the way it is! McKay can guarantee all he wants that there won't be engine failures; but I did my time wearing blue, they're going to happen, for any number of potential reasons!
Are you really comparing that shitty Adour engine to the P&W F135? You can't even compare it to the Hornet's engines. They were designed and built 30 years apart.

I agree, they will fail. It's designed by a human, built by a human, maintained by a human and operated by a human. It will eventually fail. However, I believe their fail rate will be much lower than what we are used to. In the end, it's risk management. How many catastrophic engine failures did we get in the last 30+ years? Pretty much everybody I know had to shut down and engine at one point or another, however had it been the only engine, you can bet we would have milked that engine all the way to a place to land or punch out safely.

As far as not having contingency planning for attrition, well, the line will be opened for many years after we buy them. I am sure that when the needs come to get new airframe, we will be able to buy more.

In the end, the JSF is great for us. It brings expertise and technology in Canada, by having companies building parts and we get a cut on every JSF that is sold, being a participant nation. If we were to pull out of the program now, we get off that wagon and get nothing, when we decide to buy it again in 5 years (because it is the plane we need)
Nobody is disputing the amazing technology and capability the F 35 represents, the issue in my mind is can we afford it. There is only so much money to go around and I think we are spending a disproportionate amount on one capability, especially when there is so little cost certainty in the program. F35 program cost escalation will come out of other re-equipment programs and that will effect the overall capability of the CF. It is past time we started talking about a plan B and that has to start with how much total procurement money can we realistically spend on the F35 program and what is the money PNR.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Nobody is disputing the amazing technology and capability the F 35 represents, the issue in my mind is can we afford it. There is only so much money to go around and I think we are spending a disproportionate amount on one capability, especially when there is so little cost certainty in the program. F35 program cost escalation will come out of other re-equipment programs and that will effect the overall capability of the CF. It is past time we started talking about a plan B and that has to start with how much total procurement money can we realistically spend on the F35 program and what is the money PNR.
The JSF, overall, is the cheapest solution.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

AuxBatOn wrote:
On what information are you basing that statement on ?

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:
On what information are you basing that statement one ?
The detailed cost analysis provided by the Conservatives.

No wait, it couldn't be that because they still haven't provided one....

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:
On what information are you basing that statement one ?
LRIP 4 F-35A cost 125M$ a piece. We are buying Block 3 aircraft, which should put us under the 100M$ price tag. Production increase=price decrease.

The Super Hornet would cost us 130M$ a piece. That's what Australia paid for the airframes. That's not including training and maintenance.

The Rafale would be around the same price, 125M$. Then you have to increase maintenance cost since the supply line is across the ocean.

The Typhoon was bought for 140M$ by Germany in 2009. The cost of the Typhoon is currently increasing.

So, even if the price of the airframe alone is 50M$ more expensive than what the government says it will be (75M$), we are better off buying the JSF over any 4.5 Generation airframe. Other airframes will not give us economical and technological benefits the JSF will bring us.

Rockie: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/pri/2/pro- ... it-eng.asp

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

You should testify before the US Congress and Senate. They're pretty worried and would benefit greatly from your reassurance that the costs are in fact known and completely under control. Send them that link before you do though so they have the proper information to work from.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

AuxBatOn wrote:

How many of the Hornets that we lost for one reason or another were replaced, even though the line was open? If you're unsure, I can tell you; that'd be NONE! If you're making an argument in favour of something you should at least use reasonable statements as part of your arguments.

Return to “General Comments”