Could I Have Been Wrong?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Could I Have Been Wrong?

Post by Go Juice »

Not even 2 weeks into 2012 and already a tragedy.

And then, on another forum someone post this:
And I know we should be running in free mode, but we don't.

I think that's irresponsible. Not sure if they do that because of company pressure or lack of balls to tell the boss their plane isn't equiped properly for the trip or plain stupidity and thinking you know better....

Seriousely guys!!!!!

You can fix airplanes, you can get a new boobs but stupid is forever it seems!!!
---------- ADS -----------

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Out of respect i will say what i feel on this forum. As much as some here beleive pilots are forced into bad situations i say that is BS. We all have voices and back bones. I have yet to find an employer that has held a gun to my head and threatened me or my family if i don't fly. I have met a few that threatened my job and to them i say F off. The fact is we all have the right to say NO. The sad part is for every one out there that says NO there is those out there that say i could have done that. Seems there are some on this forum that want to blame employers for every thing. Maybe its time some look in the mirror and say there is no job or morgage worth risking my life or anyone elses for.

It just amases me that without proper facts people are running around placing blame wether it be employer or pilot.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

+1

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

godsrcrazy wrote:Out of respect i will say what i feel on this forum. As much as some here beleive pilots are forced into bad situations i say that is BS. We all have voices and back bones. I have yet to find an employer that has held a gun to my head and threatened me or my family if i don't fly. I have met a few that threatened my job and to them i say F off. The fact is we all have the right to say NO. The sad part is for every one out there that says NO there is those out there that say i could have done that. Seems there are some on this forum that want to blame employers for every thing. Maybe its time some look in the mirror and say there is no job or morgage worth risking my life or anyone elses for.

It just amases me that without proper facts people are running around placing blame wether it be employer or pilot.
You're right. Nobody is there "holding a gun" to the pilot's head. Nobody should work for a company that even comes across that way. So, why is it happening? Even I (of "it's always the pilot's fault" fame) am starting to believe there is something in "blaming the company culture".....and I just don't understand it. And right now, understanding it, is paramount in bringing this kind of a thing to an end. How DO companies accomplish the feet of "forcing" pilots in absentia into pushing weather to this extent?
As far as "placing blame" without the "proper" facts.....bad weather, company mouth piece says weather flyable, no approach published, descended below ground level....what "proper facts" are you waiting for? And from where will they come?

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Doc wrote:
godsrcrazy wrote:Out of respect i will say what i feel on this forum. As much as some here beleive pilots are forced into bad situations i say that is BS. We all have voices and back bones. I have yet to find an employer that has held a gun to my head and threatened me or my family if i don't fly. I have met a few that threatened my job and to them i say F off. The fact is we all have the right to say NO. The sad part is for every one out there that says NO there is those out there that say i could have done that. Seems there are some on this forum that want to blame employers for every thing. Maybe its time some look in the mirror and say there is no job or morgage worth risking my life or anyone elses for.

You're right. Nobody is there "holding a gun" to the pilot's head. Nobody should work for a company that even comes across that way. So, why is it happening? Even I (of "it's always the pilot's fault" fame) am starting to believe there is something in "blaming the company culture".....and I just don't understand it. And right now, understanding it, is paramount in bringing this kind of a thing to an end. How DO companies accomplish the feet of "forcing" pilots in absentia into pushing weather to this extent?
As far as "placing blame" without the "proper" facts.....bad weather, company mouth piece says weather flyable, no approach published, descended below ground level....what "proper facts" are you waiting for? And from where will they come?

Some of the things you have said maybe true. However there are a lot of other things that could have happened. For instance It is very possible the pilot got disorientated and lost control. Maybe he should not have even left but ultimately the final choice was the Pilots no matter how much pressure he got. Sorry to say that but it is the fact it goes back to just saying No and as i said earlier there is always someone else that may say i can do it. I have no idea who the pilot was maybe he was one of those that felt he could do it.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Out here on the west coast an operator with about the same reputation as Keystone was paid five million dollars in their lawsuit against TC.

The settlement was made out of court so we will probably never know why.

Could these guys maybe collect a big settlement in the same way?

Is it possible that to prevent anyone knowing what really happens behind closed doors in T.C. The taxpayers could be on the hook again?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
rapid602
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rapid602 »

This was a tragic accident, with many factors and weather plays a very important one.
The pilot making decisions, also play a part. A very large part. Sometimes when you launch with good intentions, there comes a time when you have to look at the reality that the only way to safely complete your mission is to return to base or to divert to some place that you can hold over till you can complete your mission. There are some off you how are harsh on employers and harsh on Transport Canada. But lets not loose sight of what it is that we do and how dangerous it is. Every time you strap an aircraft to you body and launch into the wild blue yonder, you know that it is many decisions that you make that get you to where you are going.

Lets learn from what happened, lets hear all the facts, and lets make decisions, that make us get home at night, some people of these families are going to have very different lives from this day forward. My thoughts are with them. Please fly safe and please learn when to divert, or at least keep a bad situation from getting worse. Having bad weather in front of you, ice on your wings, and no altitude is not a good situation in any airplane, which any pilot wants ever. So lets learn the lessons and pray for the families involved. Please fly safe.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

There are some off you how are harsh on employers and harsh on Transport Canada.
Unfortunately those of us who are harsh on some employers and T.C. are in the minority which is one of the reasons the industry is so poorly regulated.

T.C. are the government body that approves and issues the operating certificates for " ALL " companies in Canada.

Issuing the O.C. is the least important part of their mandate, regulating the industry is their most important function, which they are failing to do.

They are your employees and if you let them get away with failure to do their duty you are part of the problem.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Changing the political party in charge is one thing, the problem is changing the bureaucrats that actually run things.

I have yet to see, or hear, of ANY flight that was worth risking a life over...nothing is so important it can't happen another day - period

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Bushav8er wrote:Changing the political party in charge is one thing, the problem is changing the bureaucrats that actually run things.

I have yet to see, or hear, of ANY flight that was worth risking a life over...nothing is so important it can't happen another day - period
I agree with most of what you say here Bushav8er but I would suggest there is a time when risking your life flying is worth it...and that is when on medevac. I recall an incident when I was flying as a co-pilot for a medevac op in MB. I had just flown 14 1/2 hours non stop back and forth from YTH-YWG in poor weather. We landed back at the base both exhausted. The CP calls us as we walked in the office and told us we had to go back to YTH and pick up a patient for emergency transfer to YWG. We initially said no we cant were dutied and tired etc. The CP said, I wouldnt normally ask this, but this patient is going to die if we dont get them to YWG in the next 3 hours(all our other aircraft were out or had no crews). We felt a moral obligation to do the flight. So we did. When we landed in YWG and the patients family thanked us so much etc, it kinda made it worth it. We were dog tired and had worked 20 hrs straight by the time we hit the hotel in YWG. In that instance, when a life is at stake...I feel its morally something you cant ignore. I know the operation should have adequate crews and in most instances they do. From time to time in the medevac world, you sometimes have to push yourself in order to save another persons life.

My 2 cents.
Fly safe all.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Flight duty aside I'll ask;

1) was the weather legal and
2) excluding the patient, how many were on board?

I go ahead with this knowing that an argument may be made for such a case but...

Assuming the weather was legal, you took the usual calculated risk for the flight - doesn't apply to the 'being pushed' scenario. If it wasn't you are saying that trading x number of lives for 1 is a balanced measure of risk?

Moral obligation may be felt, may even make one feel good if they succeed, but what-if the flight hadn't worked as planned and x number plus the patient are now dead - worth the risk? How much are dead heroes worth?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Funny thing about duty days. It's a fine line we walk sometimes. While it's not legal to go over duty times, there are times when it's perfectly safe to do so.
I know I've been "bright eyed and bushy tailed" after 15 or 6 hours on some days, and felt like a "sack of shit" after 10 hours on others. I fully realize the need for limits here, if simply to avoid been pushed when your feel like that aforementioned "sack", but..
Not naming dates or times, but we were totally time ex when landing at an airport, literally 20 minutes from home. The math. We could put the airplane to bed (winter), call a cab, check into a hotel......that would be, at least 1.5-2.0 hours before we would be settled, OR we could fly the "illegal" 20 minutes, have the bird in the barn in 15 minutes and be home 20 minutes after that. One of the times where illegal does not mean unsafe.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Bushav8er wrote:Flight duty aside I'll ask;

1) was the weather legal and Yes
2) excluding the patient, how many were on board?2 pilots, the patient, flight nurse 4 total.
I go ahead with this knowing that an argument may be made for such a case but...

Assuming the weather was legal, you took the usual calculated risk for the flight - doesn't apply to the 'being pushed' scenario. If it wasn't you are saying that trading x number of lives for 1 is a balanced measure of risk? No sir. Im suggesting that if we didnt do the flight, the patient would have died. That left us in a moral dilemma.

Moral obligation may be felt, may even make one feel good if they succeed, but what-if the flight hadn't worked as planned and x number plus the patient are now dead - worth the risk? How much are dead heroes worth?
We were hardly trying to be heros. The wx was legal and although we were dog tired, we knew we could complete the mission with very little additional risk. Again ill stress the importance of having 2 crew! SPIFR I wouldnt have even considered it...as the wx was bad but legal. We just wanted to do the right thing, and in this instance, it involved breaking a duty time reg. No other regs were broken or bent in the making of this (true) story.

Fly safe all.

*Edit to fix quote*

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Then in this case I agree with you, and Doc, regarding flight duty time.

My point is this flight was a legal and doable, and I would have done it too. :wink:

My argument is with the 'being pushed/bullied' group, facing bad, illegal weather, not saying 'no' - is it worth a life (or more)?

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

flyinthebug wrote:
Bushav8er wrote:Changing the political party in charge is one thing, the problem is changing the bureaucrats that actually run things.

I agree with most of what you say here Bushav8er but I would suggest there is a time when risking your life flying is worth it...and that is when on medevac. I recall an incident when I was flying as a co-pilot for a medevac op in MB. I had just flown 14 1/2 hours non stop back and forth from YTH-YWG in poor weather. We landed back at the base both exhausted. The CP calls us as we walked in the office and told us we had to go back to YTH and pick up a patient for emergency transfer to YWG. We initially said no we cant were dutied and tired etc. The CP said, I wouldnt normally ask this, but this patient is going to die if we dont get them to YWG in the next 3 hours(all our other aircraft were out or had no crews). We felt a moral obligation to do the flight. So we did. When we landed in YWG and the patients family thanked us so much etc, it kinda made it worth it. We were dog tired and had worked 20 hrs straight by the time we hit the hotel in YWG. In that instance, when a life is at stake...I feel its morally something you cant ignore. I know the operation should have adequate crews and in most instances they do. From time to time in the medevac world, you sometimes have to push yourself in order to save another persons life.

My 2 cents.
Fly safe all.

One would question why didn't the CP releave at least 1 of you. This would have maybe put 1 fresh set of eyes and brain in the front.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

godsrcrazy wrote:One would question why didn't the CP releave at least 1 of you. This would have maybe put 1 fresh set of eyes and brain in the front.
CP was in YWG...hence why he called us...we were based in YCR and the patient was in YTH. It was time sensative and even if he jumped in the Cheyene and came up, it would have been too late for the patient (transplant patient and the organ was waiting in YWG). It was not an option for the CP to take the flight.

Fly safe all.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

godsrcrazy wrote: One would question why didn't the CP releave at least 1 of you. This would have maybe put 1 fresh set of eyes and brain in the front.
Nobody's going to bust a duty day launching from their home base? That would be very bad form. And indefensible. You'd get your ass violated for sure for that one. (home base is usually where the CP is)

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Doc wrote:
godsrcrazy wrote: One would question why didn't the CP releave at least 1 of you. This would have maybe put 1 fresh set of eyes and brain in the front.
Nobody's going to bust a duty day launching from their home base? That would be very bad form. And indefensible. You'd get your ass violated for sure for that one. (home base is usually where the CP is)

Then why did Flyinthebug write if nobody's going to bust their duty day from their home base/ base

I had just flown 14 1/2 hours non stop back and forth from YTH-YWG in poor weather. We landed back at the base both exhausted. The CP calls us as we walked in the office and told us we had to go back to YTH and pick up a patient for emergency transfer to YWG. We initially said no we cant were dutied and tired etc.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

godsrcrazy wrote:
Doc wrote:

Then why did Flyinthebug write if nobody's going to bust their duty day from their home base/ base
If you re read this quote, you will see Doc wrote that comment not me.

I had just flown 14 1/2 hours non stop back and forth from YTH-YWG in poor weather. We landed back at the base both exhausted. The CP calls us as we walked in the office and told us we had to go back to YTH and pick up a patient for emergency transfer to YWG. We initially said no we cant were dutied and tired etc.
I wasnt clear until my 2nd post that our base was YCR not YWG (where our CP was based) I did say in my original post that our CP "called" us and needed us to go. I didnt specify we were based in Cross Lk and he in YWG.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

godsrcrazy wrote:
No way I would have don that trip. Under any circumstances. Your CP should never have put the pressure on you by even asking. There are no "unforeseen" circumstances here. None. You put yourself in a totally indefensible position. You're at 14.5 hours. You have to turn the airplane around, file, check weather, fuel.....You'd be at 15 plus hours before you even sparked up. This exactly the BULL SHITE we talk about when we talk about bullying in the industry.
This is a classic "pound sand" moment....
And, you know what? Next time, your CP will play the "the last crew did it....." card on the next poor basterds.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”