AC and regional flying?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrElm
Rank 0
Rank 0

AC and regional flying?

Post by MrElm »

This caught my eye:

"ACPA has a litany of complaints over management’s “extreme” changes envisaged for subcontracting regional flying and outsourcing the planned discount leisure airline, possibly based offshore."

Air Canada pilot union calls for strike vote - Globe and Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... nt=2331978

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is a good or bad news for us?
---------- ADS -----------

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: AC and regional flying?

Post by hithere »

Bad- new flying will probably go to SR

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

hithere wrote:Bad- new flying will probably go to SR
You have been reading too much of the doom and gloom predictions on the ALPA web board. Right now there is no way to tell. We could end up with more flying or we could end up with less and this will hopefully finally give our management a kick in the nuts and see that they need to find more flying outside of the CPA.

Try to stay positive, I don't know about the rest of you but am getting sick and tired of all the doom and gloom mentality around this place, I don't even bother staying in the crew room more than I have to anymore cause its just constant bitching. It is tiring listening and reading the same few people predicting the apocalypse all the time.

Jazz has the potential to be so much more and do so much more we just need the right people leading the ship. But guys seriously what is the point of being so negative all the time? Like the song goes "always look on the bright side of life".

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Lateralus wrote:
hithere wrote:Bad- new flying will probably go to SR
You have been reading too much of the doom and gloom predictions on the ALPA web board. Right now there is no way to tell. We could end up with more flying or we could end up with less and this will hopefully finally give our management a kick in the nuts and see that they need to find more flying outside of the CPA.

Try to stay positive, I don't know about the rest of you but am getting sick and tired of all the doom and gloom mentality around this place, I don't even bother staying in the crew room more than I have to anymore cause its just constant bitching. It is tiring listening and reading the same few people predicting the apocalypse all the time.

Jazz has the potential to be so much more and do so much more we just need the right people leading the ship. But guys seriously what is the point of being so negative all the time? Like the song goes "always look on the bright side of life".
Right on my friend!! I'm with you on this 100% !

MrElm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrElm »

Mig29 and Lateralus

It is truly refreshing to see some positive attitudes in the company for once.

AA150730
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AA150730 »

Being one of the old guys from/at TimeAirCanadianRegionalJazzAir, I must agree it is great to read of others who are just plain tired of all the gloom and doom coming from the same small minded, loud mouthed group. I read this board on occasion but refuse to go on the ALPA board at all. Its always the same B.S. and its always the how bad the management is.
Just remember how surprised we all were waking up one morning last April to find out we were to operate '57,s!
Would be nice to hear from more people that feel this way!!

Buzz Lightyear
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Buzz Lightyear »

I'm new to the company (less than 1 year) and I have already heard so much...everyone has their opinion on the future of Jazz from the most pessimistic to the most optimistic.

If you look not so far back the Dash 8 was the biggest aircraft in the fleet and most of the guys came from the 1900. Today it's the smallest one and we keep flying further and further away. I have a pretty good feeling about what lays ahead for us because we've proven that we can fly outside our main expertise and comfort zone safely. We have so much combined experience within the pilot group that we could do any type of flying easily...and AC knows that. They just want to divide and conquer to get the best price possible and they'll probably manage to do it. But they also need to rely on a solid operation to have their plans up and running smoothly as fast as possible.

So let's stay positive and let's keep on showing every day that we can do the job, from landing in a nasty crosswind in YGR to operate a 757 down south. I guess we'll really know who had it right within the next year...

Happy flying!

B.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Buzz Lightyear wrote: If you look not so far back the Dash 8 was the biggest aircraft in the fleet and most of the guys came from the 1900.
While I agree with most of your post, this part confused me.
Back in the late 80's the BA-146 and F28 fleets entered service with the respective regional carriers that now are known as Jazz.
Air Alliance, and then Air Nova (via merger) operated a relatively small (five I believe) fleet of 1900's.

Regardless, it's not just the size of aircraft that matters.

Buzz Lightyear
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Buzz Lightyear »

You are right, I stand corrected. I was thinking of Air Alliance.

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Zip Tie »

I like this positive attitude.

Last edited by Zip Tie on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

AC mainline had around 34 flight cancellations this past weekend mostly due to crew requirements.

How much extra flying has Jazz picked up over the past month or two?
Have your block DMM's jumped lately?
Is there more "open flying" and are guys on reserve busier than normal?

Any input appreciated.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

None.
No.
No.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Next month there is NO reserve coverage for F/Os on the one of the a/c types.....probably due to many F/O's leaving to AC/WJ etc.....

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I had a Jazz flight cancelled recently because they coundn't get another crewmember.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

How bout now?

More reserve call outs? Higher block months? Open flying? Covering obvious mainline flight?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Nope, not that I know of outside of the usual flying. We're short staffed though hence the hiring.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

teacher wrote:Nope, not that I know of outside of the usual flying. We're short staffed though hence the hiring.

I must say, it is very nice to read a post about the airline industry in canada that says "we're short staffed, and hiring..." Don't hear that too often. I hope it lasts!

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Well now we're short staffed and no longer hiring. Might start again soon.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

teacher wrote:Well now we're short staffed and no longer hiring. Might start again soon.
Ahh yes, as quickly as it came, it disappeared. Thats more along the lines of what I'm used to hearing. "We're short staffed, and not hiring." :(

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

If memory serves me correctly, they did the same thing last year (and the year before?). Hiring was commenced again in September once the training department caught up and they knew how many pilots were needed in light of the August equipment bid. I have had several friends get caught in the middle of the hiring process when the music stopped. They all went to the front of the line when it started again.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”