MRC got a Tecnam Twin

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

MRC got a Tecnam Twin

Post by star57 »

I was shooting some aproaches yesterday at YBW and the MRC new twin was in the circuit almost all day, it will be the only twin that will have a bird strike from behind :lol:
What a way to blow 490K...I trust that its leased, but wouldnt the student population be better served with a Seneca III, IV or V , it probably would be more similar to a Navajo or KA.
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: MRC got a Tecnam Twin

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

It is sad to see. MRC went from one of the best college programs to what is now probably the worst in Canada :cry:

ybwflyguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ybwflyguy »

star57 wrote:it will be the only twin that will have a bird strike from behind :lol:
Haha glad you liked my joke on the radio! Yeah total waste of money, kinda like the whole program has become. $300k each for 172s and then whatever those POS Tecnams cost - probably 3 times the cost of a decent, known-ice Seneca!

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172pilot »

Why are they a POS?

I dont think people should give MRC a hard time for new equipment. I keep seeing numerous threads here with people complaining about the crap they have to fly. I'm starting to learn that most people on these boards will never be satisfied. I'd love to see newer equipment in the flying clubs.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

MRU - it's a university now.
172pilot wrote:Why are they a POS?

I dont think people should give MRC a hard time for new equipment. I keep seeing numerous threads here with people complaining about the crap they have to fly. I'm starting to learn that most people on these boards will never be satisfied. I'd love to see newer equipment in the flying clubs.
From what I understand, the issue isn't actually about MRU buying new planes, but more about how the money could have been better spent.

The graduates from MRU that I have talked to complained about the availability of aircraft to the students there, making it hard for them to get light time. In fact, there have apparently been people kicked out of the program, simply because they weren't able to get in their flight time required for each semester. Instead of addressing this issue, MRU simply got rid of their older planes and bought some new expensive ones, however less of them. This resultantly brought the price of MRU up, while simultaneously exacerbating the issue of availability of aircraft to the students.

It's not that people are pissed about MRU getting new planes. It's just that they could have spent their money better, like buying less expensive planes but more of them, so to meet their student's needs.
Big Pistons Forever wrote:It is sad to see. MRC went from one of the best college programs to what is now probably the worst in Canada
I couldn't agree more. I know alumni who could no-longer recommend the programs to aviation-hopefuls. That's definitely sad to see.

A while back I talked to one of the flight instructors and profs at MRU. I was very impressed, and so was my father, who use to be a professor at MRU himself. It seems like MRU made a one-eighty though, and the direction they are heading now looks to be one that is not beneficial to their students. Hopefully things will straighten out in the next couple of years.

ybwflyguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ybwflyguy »

jackg737 wrote: the direction they are heading now looks to be one that is not beneficial to their students. Hopefully things will straighten out in the next couple of years.
Exactly. Being forced to work weekends in their hangar for free, or free labour at the Saddledome handing out beers is hardly beneficial to students. Maybe "POS" was a bit harsh, "grossly underpowered" would be more accurate. Despite students not being able to fly, and simply dumped on the street (I've helped out several of their students with Multis and IFRs in the last year who were left to fend for themselves - hence why I get so pissed off with MRU) they have effectively cut their fleet in half. The icing on the cake is the fact they are all glass cockpit - meaning their newly graduated students will have to fumble their way through training on a 1970s Navajo, or the like, trying to develop an instrument scan!

As always it's the students who will suffer, and I only hope many potentials will read AvCanada before committing - highly doubtful. Anyone know the rate on the Tecnam? Considering the old Cougars worked out at $520 per hour I can only imagine what these new half-million dollar machines will cost the bank of Mom and Dad!

akoch
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by akoch »

What's so bad about the Technam Twin? I'd happily fly learn in one. Can't say the same about a Seneca. Will take a DA42 over either one any day.

Norwich
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Norwich »

So that's who owns those. Not a surprise at all! I saw one of those monstrosities taxiing around when I was in Calgary/CYBW a few days ago.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

They should start a new course; "How to rob banks and not get caught." :lol:

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Another good one would be "How not to stay in an undergraduate program for eight years."

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

One of these things?

With this panel?

Nifty. If Wikipedia is to be believed it sounds like a goofy-looking Seminole with lower operating costs (in theory). The crew sits out in front of everything, which seems a popular layout for large airplanes these days; trailing link gear would likely keep the instructors' chiropractic bills down; and I imagine the all-pushrod control system would make it crisp and pleasant to fly. I just wouldn't want to open any doors with an engine running. All around, though, it seems like a forward-looking airplane design.

The thing about the unnecessary flashiness of it all is that flight training has always been a marketing game. New airplanes, glass cockpits, ties, epaulettes, and 'the upcoming pilot shortage' are all just ways to get your money. You and I both know none of it is necessary, but then again you and I probably aren't looking for primary flight instruction, are we?

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just calling it what it is...

LnS.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Hate on them all you want but if my Mom's going to spend a bunch of the money my dad sends home from the oil fields she wants to be tricked into thinking I'm getting airline training.

burninggoats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by burninggoats »

shitdisturber wrote:They should start a new course; "How to rob banks and not get caught." :lol:
Lets face it though, the MRU student association has been robbing people for years. Only difference is this girl got greedy and did it in an illegal way.

Return to “Flight Training”