Twin Otter Ferry Flight

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Derryaero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Twin Otter Ferry Flight

Post by Derryaero »

Hello Robert???

It appeared that you were answering my post, which you did very well. Exactly correct and I am glad you pointed it out, that with the installed ferry tank system, the trip could not be carried out to Hawaii, and with that system, that routing would be both illegal and foolish. I never used more than 50% of a predicted forecast of tailwinds when making fuel calculations and add to headwind predictions.... And even then, I liked a 3 hour reserve when I landed.

Of course, when I fly the Challenger, my "daily" ride, we don't have fuel like that....but I started ferrying when my best friend, colleague and mentor still carried almanacs and a sextant across the ocean! But heh, he never got lost too bad or painted into a corner, as opposed to the ADF and dead reckoning lot!

Just had a ferry flight to India, and over Scotland, I saw that we would arrive in Denmark with "only" 1:20 minutes of fuel, which most would find fine, but the weather was not the best, and I just stopped in Wick for the night. Who needs pucker factor at all for the last hour of the day? ...and the 1:20 was predicated on the tailwinds continuing.

Nope....

So we agree on everything it seems except my name, which is James. Unless you were answering someone else's post! :roll:

Fly safe! Ciao and greetings from Tunis!
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Do you move many Twin Otters Derryaero? What else do you ferry?

I have to be honest though and it might just be ingnorance with the beast. That sounds like a long trip over water with wheels. I'd be pretty nervous for at least the first couple times.

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

This post got really quiet, really fast......?????
I was really enjoying the banter and the wrong names getting thrown into the fray ...... ??

I am curious Michael ..... How many ferry trips have you actually done? It would appear that there are some very experienced ferry pilots out there that have some valuable and real experience to pass on.

Just askin.....???

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

MacStork wrote:This post got really quiet, really fast......?????
I was really enjoying the banter and the wrong names getting thrown into the fray ...... ??

I am curious Michael ..... How many ferry trips have you actually done? It would appear that there are some very experienced ferry pilots out there that have some valuable and real experience to pass on.

Just askin.....???
I've only ferried the twin otter extensive distances four times.. Ohh... right.. You're asking PanEuropean Michael ;)

Cheers,
The other Michael

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

This was probably the best thread hijack ever. Normally I would have split the topic. But, reading about a Twin Otter ferry flight while I was doing one myself... Priceless!

Good to see you haven't lost your instructor ability Micheal. Somewhere in my Otter time there is a couple thousand hours of ferrying to and from Antarctica. Generally we learn something new every trip. It was nice to be able to learn from someone else.

I will try to see if I can't make a few notes and describe ours.

Cheers,
J C

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re:

Post by MacStork »

Beefitarian wrote:Do you move many Twin Otters Derryaero? What else do you ferry?

I have to be honest though and it might just be ingnorance with the beast. That sounds like a long trip over water with wheels. I'd be pretty nervous for at least the first couple times.
Hi Beef....
Too me, water is water ...... the end result if you go in will probably be the same, if you survive the initial impact. And it doesn't matter if it on wheels or floats. If it is cold water and 60-100 foot swells..... ie., the Drake Passage ..... you will die in about 4 minutes. If it is warmer water and there is no one around to pull you out, then obviously it will take longer.
Also.....it doesn't matter if you are 2 miles from shore or 1000 miles from shore. There is not going to be anyone around to help you.
I was always pretty nervous too ...... but I trusted those beautiful PT6 engines.
I also found it a tad easier at night ...... I could not see the swells.
I remember meeting two Danes in REK one time. They were each ferrying one of those old Dorniers with the engines on the pods. We were heading east bound and they were heading west bound. They each had their sons (about 12 or 13) with them. I will never forget that. It must have been a hell of a trip! Not one I would want to do though.
Great post....I love to hear about other ferry trips. There is always a good story somewhere on a ferry trip!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

If the water is rough I guess floats won't help, so I understand that but I'd have a nice false sense of security.

If I survive impact fairly unharmed and am 2 miles from shore, I am floating, not going to freeze and there's nothing about to eat me, I'm going to try to get there. Slow and steady is the key for me to float that distance, the days of me making a swim for it and cramping up are behind me.

1000 miles? I suppose I talk to God until he sends help or I finally stop wondering if he's there.

Going over all that snow the long way on wheels may not be much better. I have been fortunate to always have made it to pavement, gravel or nice smooth grass every landing so far. My biggest water crossing was Chilliwack to Qualicum via Texada in a mighty Warrior II, summertime. Swells did not look bad that day.

grinin520
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by grinin520 »

Hey Michael!

I am the air traffic controller you spoke with going through the Seattle airspace! Can't wait to hear more about your trip! I appreciate the info about this web site and will now be able to keep up with your flight!

Have a great trip and stay safe!

Karen

PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

MacStork wrote:This post got really quiet, really fast......?????
Perhaps that is because I have ceased to post here on AvCanada (this will be my last post) because a Canadian freelance ferry pilot who chooses to fly direct from North America to Hawaii in the same type of aircraft sent a letter to my employer complaining that my posts in this thread were slanderous to him, and that he was losing business as a result of my posts. That was certainly not my intention, I have only posted about the ferry flights I made in order to provide information to others who might have to follow the same routes in other small aircraft in the future.

That notwithstanding, because I don't post anonymously (it's not hard to figure out who I am or who I work for), I'm out of here. That's not my employer's decision, it is mine. I have enjoyed being a contributor here over the past few years, and I wish all of you well in the future.
MacStork wrote:I am curious Michael ..... How many ferry trips have you actually done?

About 25 inter-continental ferries since 1989. Antarctic to Europe via Canada, Canada to Seychelles (described in another post here on AvCanada last year), various African countries to Europe and vice-versa, Europe to Asia, Canada to Asia, Canada to South America, etc. Right now I am in the middle of a Canada to Tahiti ferry. I am also the author of the AFMs for the Series 300 and 400 Twin Otter.

Best regards to all,

Michael

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

(this will be my last post)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I enjoyed reading your stories very much! Thanks a lot for that.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Someone is claiming they are losing business because you wrote about flying a longer route that is more expensive?

That is just silly.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re:

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Beefitarian wrote:Someone is claiming they are losing business because you wrote about flying a longer route that is more expensive?

That is just silly.
Agreed - damn silly.
Michael, I'm sorry you'll no longer be contributing. I am nowhere near remotely qualified to undertake the kind of work you do, but I enjoyed reading your postings and found them hugely informative. You'll be missed.

amraam
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by amraam »

Michael,

Sorry to hear about your companies decision, your contributions will be greatly missed.

The reader who chose to send a letter to your employee has done a great disservice to the rest of the readers of this thread. Aviation is a business that continues to get safer by the sharing of information throughout the industry. There has to be a balance between the passing of ideas and the protection of our own personal and corporate interests.

Thank you Michael for your contributions, and a great big thumbs down to the person who wrote the letter to your employer. I'll be interested to see if he has the guts to post his explanation for his actions on here, I suspect not.

amraam

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I'll be interested to see if he has the guts to post his explanation for his actions on here, I suspect not.
The internet has some real down sides.....anonymity is the biggest downside on these forums.

Cat Driver:::

. .

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Cat Driver wrote:
I'll be interested to see if he has the guts to post his explanation for his actions on here, I suspect not.
The internet has some real down sides.....anonymity is the biggest downside on these forums.

Cat Driver:::

. .
I hate to say it Cat, but this is a strong case where remaining anonymous is of some advantage to the use of the forum. If Michael had remained so, we would still have his input. What is the advantage to knowing who the speaker is? So they can be censured if you don't like what they have to say? It is a public forum after all, not a private one, or at least the mods have not tried to make it so, which would be the only other alternative to protect speakers like Michael or yourself.

Anyhow, thanks for the time and the story Michael, it was appreciated.

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WileyCoyote »

We can only hope that said person had to result to such tactics, they probably won't be be in business much longer. It's no wonder with that kind of attitude.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

It's nice to see everyone being supportive of Michael but I doubt it will make it better if everyone gangs up on the other guy either.
There's a lot of guests online here often. Maybe the person does not even post here. I presume the letter wasn't anonimous.

There seemed to be many people supportive of the longer range system, I don't understand how Michael's company's choice to use an older one is such an issue. What if someone were to ferry a Twin Otter with out extra tanks at all and just made way more stops?

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Michael,

Your contributions were a tremendous plus for this forum. Your absence here is a loss to those who could learn from your experience(s), and a detriment to the industry in general.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

a letter to my employer complaining
Aviation (and this website) has plenty of people like that -
cowardly losers and envious creeps. You know who you are.

I'm sorry you had to let them push you around.

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

Thanks for the great thread MP.

Nice to know our (Proudly Canadian) new 400 series Twin Otters are being delivered around the globe by a real professional.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”