Air Canada moves to lock out pilots

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Canada moves to lock out pilots

Post by Mig29 »

hahahaha "I've only got two sets of ears innit!"

and here's one for the boys and girls on the ramp fighting the corporation

---------- ADS -----------

chatman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chatman »

Rumor is AC pilots are ferrying aircraft to Premier Aviation for maintenance.

Last edited by chatman on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOTL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BOTL »

It will be managers I'm sure!! Also before your so quick to accuse the pilots maybe you should take the time to watch the lang and o'leary report from March 20th. The president of ACPA takes the time to talk about his concern over the job losses of the professional group of employees who maintain our aircraft. Whens the last time your Union has sent a shout out to the pilots? Please don't try to divide the employee group any further, we have managers to do that for us.

BOTL

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

chatman wrote:Rumor is AC pilots are ferrying aircraft to Premier Aviation for maintenance. Great brotherly love
I am almost 100% sure it will be management pilots doing those flights...they don't want any pesky line pilots questioning the airworthiness of aircraft that are in the middle of heavy maintenance.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I'm guessing it'll be the "Manager of Non-Revenue Flying" who does it because he can finally do something to justify his position. Plus the rest of us aren't competent enough which is why we have a Manager of Non-Revenue Flying.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

BOTL wrote:It will be managers I'm sure!! Also before your so quick to accuse the pilots maybe you should take the time to watch the lang and o'leary report from March 20th. The president of ACPA takes the time to talk about his concern over the job losses of the professional group of employees who maintain our aircraft. Whens the last time your Union has sent a shout out to the pilots? Please don't try to divide the employee group any further, we have managers to do that for us.

BOTL
Paul Strachan on CBC March 20 http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Business ... 2213074024

Paul Strachan on CTV March 19 http://www.ctv.ca/newschannel/index.html?video=640493

Paul Stracahn on CBC March 06 http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... ilots.html

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Hats off to Captain Paul Strachan for his very concise, to the point, informative and honest interviews he gave in the news!! It's not often that you see Kevin O'Leary pause and have nothing to reply to in his one on one debates...

Excellent job Paul!

nutsnbolts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nutsnbolts »

:mrgreen: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Mig29 wrote:Hats off to Captain Paul Strachan for his very concise, to the point, informative and honest interviews he gave in the news!! It's not often that you see Kevin O'Leary pause and have nothing to reply to in his one on one debates...

Excellent job Paul!
Seriously??? :rolleyes: It's easy to be concise when you don't know what you're talking about...again!!

Sounds like Paul's a teamster supporter as he's been reading their propaganda in the states about their version of the lack of safety involved with offshore MROs. Strachan's trying to link wages with safety. Fact is that aeroman has an excellent rep for quality with big name customers like Southwest, USair and Jet Blue to name a few. Unions representing North American MROs and airlines like to misrepresent the facts in their favour but aren't immune to their own quality issues.

nutsnbolts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nutsnbolts »

Rockie wrote:I'm guessing it'll be the "Manager of Non-Revenue Flying" who does it because he can finally do something to justify his position. Plus the rest of us aren't competent enough which is why we have a Manager of Non-Revenue Flying.
I am told that most airlines have this position now. The Flight Ops Mngrs tell me that the Industry accident rate for non revenue flights is much higher than revenue flights. It seems when there's no pax on the plane the boys like to horse around and box themselves into a corner they can't get out of.

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

ac7052, a 319 was flown Tuesday night to CYRQ

matrix
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by matrix »

And since Strachan brought up Southwest....guess what type of pension plan they have?

It's not a DB plan.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

[quote="nutsnbolts"]:mrgreen: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [quote="Mig29"]Hats off to Captain Paul Strachan for his very concise, to the point, informative and honest interviews he gave in the news!! It's not often that you see Kevin O'Leary pause and have nothing to reply to in his one on one debates...

Really, I don't see him the same way as you do then....I don't know this guy any more then CEO of AC, but I would believe him more then the other guy.

If you read the link below, explain me why is suddenly US returning jobs back home? Why does our PM believe he is going to be 'smarter' and go over to China and outsource our highly skilled workforce and jobs when it has been tried before by our neighbors and they have failed miserably and their economy is suffering.

Why is firing 2,400 engineers here at home better for our public so we can outsource jobs in Salvador and China?? Is saving 5 bucks on the ticket here worth it when the same taxpayer now is going to pay EI premiums to those 2,400 unemployed people ???

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/everet ... 41528.html

accumulous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by accumulous »

nutsnbolts wrote::mrgreen: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Mig29 wrote:Hats off to Captain Paul Strachan for his very concise, to the point, informative and honest interviews he gave in the news!! It's not often that you see Kevin O'Leary pause and have nothing to reply to in his one on one debates...

Excellent job Paul!
Seriously??? :rolleyes: It's easy to be concise when you don't know what you're talking about...again!!

Sounds like Paul's a teamster supporter as he's been reading their propaganda in the states about their version of the lack of safety involved with offshore MROs. Strachan's trying to link wages with safety. Fact is that aeroman has an excellent rep for quality with big name customers like Southwest, USair and Jet Blue to name a few. Unions representing North American MROs and airlines like to misrepresent the facts in their favour but aren't immune to their own quality issues.
There must be two different May 20 interviews with O’Leary or maybe it was done in two parts because if you follow the link we are asked if our wages are commensurate with other carriers and we answer yes. We are asked if our wages are at market levels and we answer yes. O’Leary knows how to cut to the chase. O’Leary also asks – “Do you concern yourself that you are destroying your brand?” If it was Dragon's Den we're likely about 1 question away from a Gong.

Aeroman was given as an example that out of country service providers might equate to questionable safety standards. Aeroman is a member of the Aveos Group. It’s right across the top of the page. They service the entire Airbus and Boeing fleet. Aeroman is certified by the FAA.

From the press:

About Aeroman:

Aeroman has been providing world-class heavy maintenance repairs, engine accessory replacement and inspections for nearly 30 years. It employs a workforce of about 1,500 with all technical personnel being FAA and EASA certified. Aeroman is ISO 9001:2000 certified and its reputation for quality and customer service has earned it the Corporate Diamond Certificate for Excellence from the FAA Aviation Maintenance Technician (AMT) Program in 2009. It is a founding member of the Airbus MRO Network and counts JetBlue, US Airways and Grupo TACA as some of its major clients.

http://www.aeroman.com.sv/

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

nutsnbolts wrote:
Rockie wrote:I'm guessing it'll be the "Manager of Non-Revenue Flying" who does it because he can finally do something to justify his position. Plus the rest of us aren't competent enough which is why we have a Manager of Non-Revenue Flying.
I am told that most airlines have this position now. The Flight Ops Mngrs tell me that the Industry accident rate for non revenue flights is much higher than revenue flights. It seems when there's no pax on the plane the boys like to horse around and box themselves into a corner they can't get out of.
That might be although I can't remember the last hull loss on a ferry flight. But it escapes me how having a dedicated manager sitting in an office pumping out paperwork is going to prevent guys from doing something they wouldn't normally do. Seems to me an existing fleet manager is perfectly capable of doing that.

nutsnbolts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nutsnbolts »

Rockie wrote:
nutsnbolts wrote:
That might be although I can't remember the last hull loss on a ferry flight. But it escapes me how having a dedicated manager sitting in an office pumping out paperwork is going to prevent guys from doing something they wouldn't normally do. Seems to me an existing fleet manager is perfectly capable of doing that.
just because you cant remember it, does that mean it didnt happen?? :lol:

nutsnbolts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nutsnbolts »

Mig29 wrote:
nutsnbolts wrote::mrgreen: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Really, I don't see him the same way as you do then....I don't know this guy any more then CEO of AC, but I would believe him more then the other guy.

If you read the link below, explain me why is suddenly US returning jobs back home? Why does our PM believe he is going to be 'smarter' and go over to China and outsource our highly skilled workforce and jobs when it has been tried before by our neighbors and they have failed miserably and their economy is suffering.

Why is firing 2,400 engineers here at home better for our public so we can outsource jobs in Salvador and China?? Is saving 5 bucks on the ticket here worth it when the same taxpayer now is
going to pay EI premiums to those 2,400 unemployed people ???

aveos went bankrupt because they weren't competitive in the global mro market. it's as simple as that. the vast majority of mro's are non-unionized. it's survival of the fittest.

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/everet ... 41528.html

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

nutsnbolts wrote:just because you cant remember it, does that mean it didnt happen??
Agreed. Perhaps you could cite some examples to refresh an old guy's memory?

YVRtoYYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRtoYYZ »

Rockie wrote:
nutsnbolts wrote:just because you cant remember it, does that mean it didnt happen??
Agreed. Perhaps you could cite some examples to refresh an old guy's memory?
Pinnacle 3701 KLIT-KMSP CRJ-200.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_A ... light_3701

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Thank you. I remember that one now.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

Gentlemen I realize that many of you do not comprehend maintenance, no biggie. Think of a new MRO's product like the first Honda's, those initial cars were shakey at best. Over time they will get better and their cost structure will increase when their product is equal to major American AMO's.
Maintenance is a Mug's game.... ie, they're building new hangars in Windsor while better facilities in Canada are being emptied.
Sadly few understand what it takes to be a fully qualified mechanic and the responsibility involved. When an aircraft is put back into service from a new outside provider, our collective blood pressure inevitably goes up. Can't wait to get out of this poo-poo business!
Good luck everyone.

Return to “Air Canada”