thought i would share.
Taken from the Big Book of AA
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_they ... yall11.pdf
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog



Unfortunately hitting bottom is what it takes for that person to realize they have a problem. Most drunks are business owners and personally driven people, problem is they/we are so head strong to say we don't/didn't have a problem. It is when you finally give up and say, I have a problem. Only then do people recover. Part of it is pure genetics, along the same as diabetes. Many families will have a history of alcoholism, for some it is just a product of there surroundings.Prairie Chicken wrote:Good read.
I have to wonder though, why it is necessary to hit bottom? Why do so many need to make the tragic errors that require such hard work to dig out of the hole they have created, and then give thanks for all those hardships?
I listen to my daughter being 'thankful' for all the difficulties she has endured, and being so 'grateful' for all these opportunities for growth. I don't get it. I'd do what I could to avoid being in that bad situation, but if I found myself there anyway either due to my own poor decision or just the luck of the draw, I'd be pissed.
It sounds much like religion to me. Some folks thank God, no matter what He throws at them; others wonder how there can be a God who allows such sorrow in the world.
Ah well, way to philosophical for this early in the morning. I'd go have a beer, but I don't do that anymore. At least, not often.