Where is the Captain?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Where is the Captain?

Post by Rockie »

As the Captain of my airplane I am ethically, morally and legally responsible for the aircraft and everybody in it. I alone answer for what happens to it. It is my responsibility which is why I am granted the final authority in everything to do with that aircraft in flight. That's the way it should, and has to be.

The Captain of today's SS Tita... I mean Air Canada is a man named Calin Rovinescu. He has the ultimate responsibility for Air Canada and the ultimate authority as well. Rumour has it he's handsomely paid for it too.

So....where is he?

Has he stepped up to take responsibility for the disgraceful state of management/employee relations?

Has he apologized to paying passengers for the ongoing disruptions to their travel plans?

Has he satisfactorily explained to share holders why their investments are worth $0.86?

Does Mr. Rovinescu has a plan for fixing any of this?

Does he even exist?

One would be excused for thinking he's just a mirage, because nobody has seen him except for a brief appearance in front of a committee claiming he had nothing to do with Aveos.

Leadership....
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Where is the Captain?

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Doesn't AC have a VP of Labour Relations who would also be very handsomly paid. What is his/her story, why have they been invisible through everything as well? Doesn't seem as though Labour Relations are in a very good spot right now.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Rockie wrote:The Captain of today's SS Tita... I mean Air Canada is a man named Calin Rovinescu. He has the ultimate responsibility for Air Canada and the ultimate authority as well. Rumour has it he's handsomely paid for it too.

So....where is he?

Has he stepped up to take responsibility for the disgraceful state of management/employee relations?

Has he apologized to paying passengers for the ongoing disruptions to their travel plans?

Has he satisfactorily explained to share holders why their investments are worth $0.86?

Does Mr. Rovinescu has a plan for fixing any of this?

Does he even exist?

One would be excused for thinking he's just a mirage, because nobody has seen him except for a brief appearance in front of a committee claiming he had nothing to do with Aveos.

Leadership....
Rockie, I have to agree: this time you have it exactly 100% right.
The ongoing whingeing on AvCanada about excessive executive pay, top-heavy management ranks, retention bonuses, etc. generally misses this point. Management miscues in the face of a tough competitive environment and a horrendous legacy cost structure are one thing. What we've seen over the past few years is a complete and utter failure of senior leadership. This has been far more damaging to AC's brand and prospects.
And again, one has to ask: where has the Board been in all of this? Is the management team completely beyond accountability?

chatman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chatman »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Doesn't AC have a VP of Labour Relations who would also be very handsomly paid. What is his/her story, why have they been invisible through everything as well? Doesn't seem as though Labour Relations are in a very good spot right now.
Scott and Calin are still celebrating the screwing over of 2300 AVEOS employees and families, more money in da pocket

Executive Biographies
Scott Morey

Vice President, Labour Relations

Scott Morey was appointed Vice President, Labour Relations in January, 2007. In this role , he is responsible for all Labour Relations activities throughout the Corporation, including leading labour negotiations and related functions.

Scott brings to Air Canada 16 years of labour and employee relations expertise from two of North America 's largest manufacturing and distribution companies. He most recently had oversight for the negotiation and administration of over 40 collective agreements involving several major, national unions at a large beverage distribution company . He was previously involved in human resource administration including compensation and the development of sustainable external partnerships with various related government agencies at an automotive manufacturer .

Scott holds a BA from Brock University and a Certificate in Labour Relations from Queen's University. He also participated in the 2003 Duke of Edinburgh Commonwealth Study Conference.

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

chatman wrote:
cdnpilot77 wrote:Doesn't AC have a VP of Labour Relations who would also be very handsomly paid. BLA- BLA- BLA more BLA-BLA-BLA

Scott holds a BA from Brock University and a Certificate in Labour Relations from Queen's University. He also participated in the 2003 Duke of Edinburgh Commonwealth Study Conference.
All that BS and a Buck-ten will get you a small Tim Hortons....... :mrgreen:

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: And again, one has to ask: where has the Board been in all of this?
The BOD is firmly behind the screwing of Air Canada, they all have their fingers in the pie. The BOD is fully behind stealing the equity that the employees have worked their entire lives to create.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

The BOD and the executives all belong in the same cell. Who says crime doesn't pay ? BTW CR was last sighted shopping for real estate in Argentina.

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

Roy J. Romanow is the Union appointee to the B.O.D. When recently questioned by the I.A.M. about recent events, he said that his comments and suggestions to the rest of the Board are consistently ignored. He said that they definitely have an agenda, and I don't think he is privy to it.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

conehead wrote:Roy J. Romanow is the Union appointee to the B.O.D. When recently questioned by the I.A.M. about recent events, he said that his comments and suggestions to the rest of the Board are consistently ignored. He said that they definitely have an agenda, and I don't think he is privy to it.
That's a pretty strong comment from Romanow, assuming he was quoted accurately by the I.A.M. The man sits on the Audit, Finance and Risk Committee and on the Governance and Corporate Matters Committee, in addition to being a pretty senior ex-politician and civil servant. If he actually accused the rest of the Board of having a hidden agenda, then the atmosphere in those Board meetings must be an intereresting one and the other Directors are presumably busy reviewing their D&O coverage because they're going to need it. And if he actually made that kind of comment, one wonders why he isn't resigning from the Board and going public rather than continuing to acquiesce with a course of conduct with which he disagrees.

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:If he actually accused the rest of the Board of having a hidden agenda,
Follow the money, who steals from the Air Canada Employee and who benefits from Air Canada's failure? Who benefits from the rape of Air Canada Equity?

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

vic777 wrote:Follow the money, who steals from the Air Canada Employee and who benefits from Air Canada's failure? Who benefits from the rape of Air Canada Equity?
ACE shareholders maybe? C$300 millions next week.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

vic777 wrote:
YYZSaabGuy wrote:If he actually accused the rest of the Board of having a hidden agenda,
Follow the money, who steals from the Air Canada Employee and who benefits from Air Canada's failure? Who benefits from the rape of Air Canada Equity?
Sorry, but I'm missing something. Explain how exactly the Air Canada Board of Directors is stealing from employees? How would directors benefit from an AC failure, with the associated potential personal liability to creditors and shareholders? How exactly do directors benefit from the "rape of Air Canada Equity", whatever that is?

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

I know people always say there are a huge supply of pilots willing to work for less, but what about Management?
Surely we should be able to find people who are better than our current VPs and willing to work for less. Even the status quo would have been better than the destruction of shareholder value and employee morale this executive team has done.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Actualy you may have been able to find better talent for the $$$ but I doubt anyone would have done it for cheaper.

We/They aren't pilots and willing to take pay cuts just to sit at a bigger desk or get a corner office. Actually I don't think almost any profession is like pilots. Do people take pay cuts to make bigger burgers, use bigger deep fryers, install bigger toilets, install larger wire, etc. You get my point.

Look at GM, Chrysler and Ford & thier employees (in late 2000's to figure out what happens if you don't change your strategies (mgmt & employees) as your competition changes. Windsor is a ghost town now. Did you know in the 70's GM actually had a department to limit their dominanation of the market to prevent anti-trust issues (They were making too much money).

PS You are definitely are not getting 100% of your money's worth from some of the pilots that you have hired. You have hired many pilots that WJ turned down. :goodman:

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

The Hammer wrote: You have hired many pilots that WJ turned down. :goodman:
And vice-versa...what's your point?

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Sorry, but I'm missing something.
The Rape of Air Canada from about 1980 to 2012 would be a good PHD Thesis for some Business Student or Budding Journalist.

Return to “Air Canada”