WestJet inks deal for Thomas Cook charter flights

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cam
Rank 3
Rank 3

WestJet inks deal for Thomas Cook charter flights

Post by Cam »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le2406162/

Congrats WJers. More business the better. As a Jazz employee it's a kick to the nuts, but we kind of saw it coming.
---------- ADS -----------

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: WestJet inks deal for Thomas Cook charter flights

Post by teacher »

No surprise since TC was looking to purchase lift rather than operate their own aircraft. I'm sure if Jazz had the capability off hand things would have been different.

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

So does this mean more expansion for WJ? Can they operate the current fleet size with their normal schedule as well as WJ vacations?

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

WestJet plans to extend leases on three aircraft that were due to be returned in early 2013, to provide a part of the seats purchased by Thomas Cook.

Cam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cam »

teacher wrote:No surprise since TC was looking to purchase lift rather than operate their own aircraft. I'm sure if Jazz had the capability off hand things would have been different.
We can weld a couple of 705's together

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Cam wrote:
teacher wrote:No surprise since TC was looking to purchase lift rather than operate their own aircraft. I'm sure if Jazz had the capability off hand things would have been different.
We can weld a couple of 705's together
Isn't that what the 705 already is, challengers welded together

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

How long is an appropriate amount of time before announcing the expansion of the wet lease program or has Greg not run it by you yet?

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

huh?

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

Sorry, mbbunchaletters reads headlines and not the whole article. Got it now.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Oh ok stinkenapple, if you want to walk around with teal colored glasses on thats not my problem. Guess we'll see in a 5 or so months.
Lets look at the obvious for a sec, the Western program worked for both parties, TC needs something to do for the surplus of 57s during our winter or park them. TC couldn't fill the 57s but combined with WJ they will. Unless WJ load factors were low out east for the vacation market where are they going to get the added capcity?
WestJet Airlines Ltd. (WJA-T14.530.352.47%) has signed a deal to fly charter flights for Thomas Cook Canada Inc., just days after the leisure travel firm discontinued its contract with Jazz Aviation LP.

Calgary-based WestJet said Wednesday that the new pact will allow the carrier to provide extra seat capacity for passengers who book on Thomas Cook’s Sunquest Vacations unit next winter.

The Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Fish »

mbav8r wrote:Oh ok stinkenapple, if you want to walk around with teal colored glasses on thats not my problem. Guess we'll see in a 5 or so months.
Lets look at the obvious for a sec, the Western program worked for both parties, TC needs something to do for the surplus of 57s during our winter or park them. TC couldn't fill the 57s but combined with WJ they will. Unless WJ load factors were low out east for the vacation market where are they going to get the added capcity?
"Not only will this improve our fleet utilization, it provides further economic justification for WestJet's fleet growth in the coming years," continued Gregg Saretsky. "We have now made the decision to cover a component of the Thomas Cook seat purchase by extending the leases on three aircraft that were due to be returned in early 2013. Together with three new aircraft deliveries in 2012 and five in 2013, our entire fleet of Boeing Next-Generation 737s creates a unique opportunity for WestJet to serve the capacity needs of the Thomas Cook Canada business in a cost-effective way."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... slug=TO523

F 8)

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

MBAV8OR, I truely don't think you'll see an expansion of the wet lease beyond what is already there. And if you do it will be put to the pilots and voted on.
Time will tell.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The rumour mill is 3 G-reg 757's crewed by TC UK for winter 2012/2013.

This could also lead to summer capacity for transatlantic.

Quid pro quo?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rudder wrote:The rumour mill is 3 G-reg 757's crewed by TC UK for winter 2012/2013.

Quid pro quo?
It wouldn't surprise me. From my understanding having 1 aircraft is no longer acceptable (see Hawaii APU troubles.)

Personally, I couldn't care less how many wet leases we have. If we can't do it with our own planes, we need to do it with someone else's. Once it makes financial sense to get our own second type, we better be doing the flying, but not before. The company's financial health is more important than any short term gain for a select few of us.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Now that Jazz has demonstrated that it is operationally and technically possible to have pilots operate with alternating seasonal PPC's, why would WJPA not consider the same and staff the 757's as C-reg? Wj will eventually be operating widebody aircraft (767/787?) so the 757 is a great platform to have in place on the OC prior to adding the larger aircraft.

Scythe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scythe »

Boeing will do everything possible to ensure WJA's entry into the international market is with the 787s. They are already considered a strategic customer. So maybe some of that jazz 757 overseas experience will be valuable over at wja. :)

Tiny Tyke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiny Tyke »

Delete.

unregistered
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by unregistered »

Bede wrote:
rudder wrote:The rumour mill is 3 G-reg 757's crewed by TC UK for winter 2012/2013.

Quid pro quo?
It wouldn't surprise me. From my understanding having 1 aircraft is no longer acceptable (see Hawaii APU troubles.)

Personally, I couldn't care less how many wet leases we have. If we can't do it with our own planes, we need to do it with someone else's. Once it makes financial sense to get our own second type, we better be doing the flying, but not before. The company's financial health is more important than any short term gain for a select few of us.
It will be 2, not 3.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

So, with WestJet becoming part of the problem and not the solution, you're ok with that as long as your profit share cheque rolls in. You must support SunWing as well then....Friggin pilots, we're all a bunch of self serving eogotist
Bede wrote,

Return to “WestJet”