AC Starting Salary

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

slickmag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AC Starting Salary

Post by slickmag »

As for Mech's, Not only do we make $6/hr less than hour WJ mech's we Have to be endorsed on upto 8 different aircraft types. Where as Wj has 1!.... and if the new contract gets forced, say good bye to stat holidays, paid or the day off. If the government imposes this for Mechs it wont set a good precedent for the rest of the working class in Canada. I agree with the above poster - don't go to AC!
---------- ADS -----------

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Sea2Sky wrote:I was hired last year (EMB FO). I just ran through my bank deposits for the last year for you, and here's what I got:

- My after-tax TAKE HOME for the first year was right around $36,000, or roughly (depending on how much flying I did) $3000/month.
To put it in perspective, I work for a company as an Accountant (in Montreal). I have a Bachelor degree and am completing a professional accounting designation (CMA). My take home (after tax) is $2400/month (28,800/yr) after 2 years.

For your second year of flying at AC, thats good even when compared to a different job category. To top it off, your job is probably much more satisfying.

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

cj555 wrote:
Sea2Sky wrote:I was hired last year (EMB FO). I just ran through my bank deposits for the last year for you, and here's what I got:

- My after-tax TAKE HOME for the first year was right around $36,000, or roughly (depending on how much flying I did) $3000/month.
To put it in perspective, I work for a company as an Accountant (in Montreal). I have a Bachelor degree and am completing a professional accounting designation (CMA). My take home (after tax) is $2400/month (28,800/yr) after 2 years.

For your second year of flying at AC, thats good even when compared to a different job category. To top it off, your job is probably much more satisfying.
Yes but you are probably recently out of school. Those hired at air Canada often have 10 years plus of industrial experience. What will you make after ten years at your present company?

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

paddy wrote:
cj555 wrote:
Sea2Sky wrote: Yes but you are probably recently out of school. Those hired at air Canada often have 10 years plus of industrial experience. What will you make after ten years at your present company?
Its hard to say, depends on many factors such as level of responsibility, promotions etc. I would say after 10 years at my present company (working as an accountant) I could expect between $90K and $120K.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

cj555 wrote:Its hard to say, depends on many factors such as level of responsibility, promotions etc. I would say after 10 years at my present company (working as an accountant) I could expect between $90K and $120K.
To make that at AC you would need:

1. 7-10 year of experience to get hired.
2. Another 7-10 years to move into a seniority position that pays.

Total from today - 14-20 years.... that's assuming:
1. that AC survives
2. You progress through your "experience" years
3. There is no stagnation at AC

Keep your job and learn to fly on the side for pleasure.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

yycflyguy wrote:
cj555 wrote:Its hard to say, depends on many factors such as level of responsibility, promotions etc. I would say after 10 years at my present company (working as an accountant) I could expect between $90K and $120K.
To make that at AC you would need:

1. 7-10 year of experience to get hired.
2. Another 7-10 years to move into a seniority position that pays.

Total from today - 14-20 years.... that's assuming:
1. that AC survives
2. You progress through your "experience" years
3. There is no stagnation at AC

Keep your job and learn to fly on the side for pleasure.
That would seem like the logical thing to do, and definitely the smartest thing as far as money goes. However, I really don't like my job so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am wondering if I would be happier pursuing something I have always wanted to do, or if I should just stick it out in my current career in hopes that it will get better (with time, or with a different company etc). Its a tough call.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

What a mess this profession is,

collectively we really are pathetic. :oops:

fundi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fundi »

quote - "I am wondering if I would be happier pursuing something I have always wanted to do, or if I should just stick it out in my current career in hopes that it will get better"

That is sad.

Life is short! Something you have always wanted to do...is certainly worth pursing. No, it won't be easy! No, you may not make as much money! It may not be easier...but you will ALWAYS know what it was and IS like. Go FIND what makes you passionate about life and living and give it all you got. Having a dream and passion is not something you can make up or buy!

Live LIFE!

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

We all know how pathetic it is....but when you see in in numbers laid out in front of you its even worse.....given what you have to go through to even get the interview its beyond comprehension......stop taking these jobs make the f---kers pay more....

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

fundi wrote:quote - "I am wondering if I would be happier pursuing something I have always wanted to do, or if I should just stick it out in my current career in hopes that it will get better"

That is sad.

Life is short! Something you have always wanted to do...is certainly worth pursing. No, it won't be easy! No, you may not make as much money! It may not be easier...but you will ALWAYS know what it was and IS like. Go FIND what makes you passionate about life and living and give it all you got. Having a dream and passion is not something you can make up or buy!

Live LIFE!
What you say is true. Life is short. Find something that makes you happy, and do more of it. I have realized this, and I am on the verge of pursuing aviation. I am just worried that it won't be what I expected...so I am making sure I know what I'm getting into before I do it. I guess I just have to quiet down the "voice of reason" and follow my heart... easier said then done!

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172pilot »

cj555 wrote: I am just worried that it won't be what I expected...so I am making sure I know what I'm getting into before I do it. I guess I just have to quiet down the "voice of reason" and follow my heart... easier said then done!
You are young enough, with a specific education, that if flying is not what you think, you can go back to accounting. Yes, you might be 40, but so what. At least you can say you tried a pilot career and it didn't work out. You could still do accounting for twenty more years. Probably a better route than being a 40 year old accountant, wanting to break into aviation.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

172pilot wrote:
cj555 wrote: I am just worried that it won't be what I expected...so I am making sure I know what I'm getting into before I do it. I guess I just have to quiet down the "voice of reason" and follow my heart... easier said then done!
You are young enough, with a specific education, that if flying is not what you think, you can go back to accounting. Yes, you might be 40, but so what. At least you can say you tried a pilot career and it didn't work out. You could still do accounting for twenty more years. Probably a better route than being a 40 year old accountant, wanting to break into aviation.
Very true. I appreciate all the words of encouragement!

victorious secrets
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by victorious secrets »

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if AC will compensate new hires for moving expenses?

Cheers

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

victorious secrets wrote:I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if AC will compensate new hires for moving expenses?

Cheers
Compensate? No.

Subsidize? Yes.

Once you are hired there is moving expenses available in the event of base closure or if you are bumped off a base and are forced to relocate.

victorious secrets
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by victorious secrets »

Thanks for the response YYCFlyGuy. I've been looking at the cost of moving from YYC to YYZ and it's not cheap! Anywhere from 3000 to 5000! I was hoping that AC would help with the cost of moving for new hires, but looks like no such luck.

The Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Fish »

VS,
Don't forget moving for employment is a tax deductible expense, you won't get it all back but it's better than nothing.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

victorious secrets wrote:Thanks for the response YYCFlyGuy. I've been looking at the cost of moving from YYC to YYZ and it's not cheap! Anywhere from 3000 to 5000! I was hoping that AC would help with the cost of moving for new hires, but looks like no such luck.

I don't know of any major airline that helps with the cost of moving for new hires. Its not just an Air Canada issue.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

WF9F wrote:Here's some advice don't come here , really it is a shit show and has been for a long time.
Go to westjet you will make more money and get a lot better treatment.
Seriously you don't want to work here.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Lost in Saigon wrote:
FL020 wrote:shameful...in fact a total disgrace. And is this cap in effect until you reach the 320 series? Are the new hires part of the pay group till they get off the rp, or right seat of the embraer?
Right now you can have one B777 RP hired in 2002 making about $120,000 per year and another B777 RP pilot hired in 2005 making only $85,000 for doing the exact same job!

That is $35,000 difference!
There is no doubt the salary bands need to be sorted out and a gaping hole is certainly in the first few years of pay these days. However, the example above seems absurd in more than one way:

An RP making 120K is unreasonable vs. the duties required for EMB pay and to think that 85K is not enough for what is required of an RP is just as unreasonable.

My 2 cents.

JJJ

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

victorious secrets wrote:Thanks for the response YYCFlyGuy. I've been looking at the cost of moving from YYC to YYZ and it's not cheap! Anywhere from 3000 to 5000! I was hoping that AC would help with the cost of moving for new hires, but looks like no such luck.
If your not moving a lot of big furniture, you can always use the AC cargo discount (80% off) and fill those shipping containers. I moved from YYC-YYZ and it cost me under $300 but I either sold or gave away most of my furniture.

CJ555
If flying is what you really want then do it. You could "pay your dues" for a small company by doing their books. Offer your accounting skills (paid of course) with the understanding you really want to fly the line. The sooner the better. Depending on where you live you could probibly get an accounting job for a 703/704/705 company now while you work at getting your licenses. Once you have your licenses hopefully you could jump right into a plane. Good luck

Return to “Air Canada”