Not everyone is happy over at WJ

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

osprey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Not everyone is happy over at WJ

Post by osprey »

Just got off the phone with an FA friend at WestJet and most groups in the company got a small raise, the flight attendants are set to take a pay cut.
---------- ADS -----------

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Not everyone is happy over at WJ

Post by Airbrake »

Your friend should
1. Reread the memo - it doesn't say they as a group are taking a cut.
2. Wait for the communication that will explain the details to the FA's, then they can comment a bit more accurately. Speculation doesn't allow for clarity.

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

At no point is there going to be a pay cut! Like said above the memo is very clear about that. There is a transition to market median taking place to align with WestJets compensation philosophy. The transition plan is generous and fair. This will happen to any team that is deemed above median. The compensation team along with PACT has come up with a plan that will apply to any group with in WestJet. If your FA friend is upset there are town halls and lunch and learns set up to explain the transition, you can also contact your PACT rep/executive as well as any of the PACT comp and ben team as we have all been briefed on the plan.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Could someone explain this median business as it is applied at WJ? If Air Canada and Transat fold does that mean WJ drivers will go down to being paid 80% of what Jazz drivers make? How does it work?

ravensrule
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ravensrule »

Ok while officially not a 'pay cut' because we won't be making less than present wages. It is a pay reduction for those FAs that haven't reached the highest salary band. The previous highest hourly pay was $45.36 and the newest highest hourly pay is now $43.23. I'm at the 4.5 year mark at this point and don't plan on being here for 7+ years (when cap out occurs,) but for those that are near the top of the salary band will be getting less money.

I should also add that the next salary band would have increased my pay by about $1.50/hr under the old schedule, this new schedule will only give me an increase of $.75/hr.

We also aren't getting a cost of living increase.

Maurice
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maurice »

How about an increase to your tax free per diem?

ravensrule
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ravensrule »

Maurice wrote:How about an increase to your tax free per diem?
It went up five cents an hour for all crew.

aroundthewing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aroundthewing »

Other question.....why cut back on the top rate ??

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

We went through it in tech ops last year. It was deemed that the FA's were pretty high above the median. It's not a easy task to stick to a pay philosophy, sorry I admire the courage it took to maintain the philosophy. You have to recognize the fact the FA's are not out any money and as long as WJ stays profitable they will get the structure increase just not on a hourly basis but as a lump sum in Dec. The FA's were moved through out the pay band so at worst they maintained their pay but the majority of cases they went up. The compensation team is doing their best to watch our purse strings and with doing market analyses on a yearly basis its going to maintain our competitiveness and keep our stock high as opposed to "across the street". Your still at the best carrier in Canada and management like this will ensure WJ is going to be around for a long time.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

lump sum in december?

fundi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fundi »

quote ... "and keep our stock high"

I'm pretty sure hell will freeze before I see the stock stay at a high price because we adjusted the FA scale! Perhaps if you could pull the price of oil down, that might do something significant!!

Flight 714
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flight 714 »

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

From CTV News Calgary.
Flight attendants air frustrations

ctvcalgary.ca

Westjet is celebrating record earnings just as labour strife threatens its busy summer season.

Internal documents show new hires can't expect the same perks that have set the airline apart from its competitors.

Flight attendants are outraged that the company plans to reduce the starting pay scale for new in-flight staff by as much as 10 percent per year.

Media outlets received an anonymous letter on Tuesday that warned of sick-outs by flight attendants and a threat to unionize.

The letter was signed "Your flight attendants."

An internal email obtained by CTV News, sent to WestJet flight attendants confirms the wages for new hires will be reduced to fall in line with industry standards.

The email reads, "flight attendant pay rates were higher than market and will be transitioned to market over time."

Westjet CEO Gregg Saretsky says many flight attendants misunderstood this year's pay scale review.

"The communication wasn't as clear as it could have been resulting in some employees thinking they were taking pay cuts. There are no pay cuts for any Westjet employees," said Saretsky.

An internal employee message board shows the concern goes deeper than current staff wages.

One post says: "Do not compare us to other non-existent companies that fly 737s from Canada to the Caribbean and back in the same day or across the country with 5 stops on the same day.'

Another reads: "Westjet is going in the wrong direction if they want employee loyalty."

Saretsky says that no current flight attendants will have their pay reduced and that they will receive a record setting profit sharing cheque toward the end of the month.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... algaryHome

wrc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wrc »

there are doubts that it was even written by a WestJetter. Looks like a competitor might have decided to slow the PR down a bit...
:lol: good little corp. snipe though, definately took some wind out of the Q1 day sails

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

$45.36 an hour, isn't that like 95 grand a year for a full time employee? Plus profit sharing and stock options? Or is that rate per flight hour?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I'm going to assuming it is per flight hour, although I don't know how they can complain about that wage

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

flight hour, cut it in half.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

for new hires or everyone? seems a bit much....

johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

Oh boy, A record setting profit share check! Theres no doubt times they are a changin at Westjet, for the better or worse remains to be seen. Gonna be so much change in the next few years, the biggest challenge for Westjet is going to be to maintain the positive culture. Creating another low cost airline within itself, its gonna be a bumpy road!!!

stickontheice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by stickontheice »

Ok I'll bite because I'm bored in a hotel room. I'm not sure what you're implying by saying times are a changing at WJ but your tone sounds like you're doubting our future. I personally have no doubts about our continued success.

Whoever posted that letter to the media about the FAs being unhappy has caused a backlash wave of support for the company. This morning looking at the Facebook group that a WestJetter created there's now over 4100 people mostly employees voicing their support. On WestNet there are several FAs and other WestJetters denouncing the anonymous letter.

In my opinion the revised pay structure was poorly communicated to the FAs. With 3000 FAs in several different communities across Canada and even around the world it was enviitable that confusion would lead to anger. WJ has done an excellent job since in correcting the confusion. This person that posted the letter, might not even be a FA or even a WestJetter, created a little media buzz which since has died out. But the absolute disgust that the letter created with WestJetters is alive and well.

I've been with the company only a short time but the way we are treated, the culture that has been created and continues to grow, the corporate success we've had with 28 quarters of profitability and the even more intangibles that would take forever to list well I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am for the Regional chapter of our history to get started. With the leadership we have in place it'll be nothing less than a winner.

Return to “WestJet”