iPad app

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

iPad app

Post by avcanada »

Purchased the new iPad and looking for some new aviation or weather related apps.

Which apps are you using or would you recommend?
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: iPad app pics

Post by DanWEC »

Aeroweather is a good free app for metars. Fltplan.com has a good app that couples with their online flight planning service, and has cdn ifr lo charts that work as a moving map if your iPad has gps (3G has gps inbuilt).
Foreflight is a complete standalone gps/efb, amazing. One month free trial. There are others for the US, but that's the best one for cdn content IMO.
There are lots of e6b and w/b programs. I use flightscale and flyby e6b.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I've got the iPad 3 with 4g/gps and foreflight loaded. A bit of overkill for slogging around the coast in a dhc2/3 but it sure makes the low level transits easy and with my iPhone tethered (I haven't purchased a data plan for the pad yet) I can get updated wx enroute and even radar coverage. Truly looking forwarded to them releasing Canadian VFR charts. I'll post some screen shots later today.

For those looking, ram makes a fantastic mount setup for the iPad ! Got mine from aviation world here in yvr

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I have Foreflight on my I pad 2 and I am extremely happy with this app. It will only get better when VNCs and the CFS are added this summer.

I also have a flashlight app and " flight timer light" an app that records roll, up,down and stop times
with a push of a big button and then totals the times for you.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Foreflight is really only of use to IFR pilots in Canada. VFR pilots only have one app right now: Air Navigation Free / Standard / Pro. The $50 pro version will let you download *for free* airspace data and ground data for Canada that is just about sufficient to replace your VFR charts. I have not found another app that has data this complete for Canada.

Foreflight doesn't even have all the small airports, just those large enough to get a jet into or something.

Aeroweather is excellent, even just as the free version. Someone showed me the paid version the other day and i've been meaning to upgrade next time i'm thinking about it and sitting in front of iTunes.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Rowdy wrote:I've got the iPad 3 with 4g/gps and foreflight loaded. A bit of overkill for slogging around the coast in a dhc2/3 but it sure makes the low level transits easy and with my iPhone tethered (I haven't purchased a data plan for the pad yet) I can get updated wx enroute and even radar coverage. Truly looking forwarded to them releasing Canadian VFR charts. I'll post some screen shots later today.

For those looking, ram makes a fantastic mount setup for the iPad ! Got mine from aviation world here in yvr
If you get a 4g, do you have to get a cell-plan in oder to use the gps function? And yes, Foreflight is a beauty.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

For 3/4G equiped ipads you do not need a sim card for the GPS to work.

aviatorapps.com has a pretty comprehensive list of all the aviation related apps for the ipad

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Is the GPS receiver in the iPad 3 good enough stand alone or are people still buying external receivers like these?

http://www.gpscity.ca/dual-xgps150-univ ... LkV0LUqGMc

I'm not picking on the iPad, just curious. I suspect eventually they will improve the built in unit.

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

AeroWeather Pro is great. Pascal has done a great job writing it and support is excellent.
FlyBy E6B and FlyBy Nav are "Made in Canada" apps. :wink:
I can't tell you how good they are as I wrote them....

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: iPad app

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

Sorry I'm not "in the know".

Just did a quick check on the iTunes store but couldn't find anything for the iPad that you could customize. There are lots of aircraft specific checklists but I don't know if you can customize them at all.
ForeFlight Checklist Pro looks like it might work but it is not a universal app yet, just iPhone. But you could still use it on the iPad with the 2x zoom function. At that scale it would be very easy to read! I don't know why they would charge $20 for an app like that. It would be easy to write one.

But one of the biggest problems with the touch screen in a bumpy cockpit would be not detecting accidental screen touches. That would take quite a bit of flight testing to get the interface usable in those conditions. I think you would want to program specific long finger swipes to register a completed item instead of the standard buttons or toggle switches.

Benoit2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Benoit2 »

avcanada wrote:Purchased the new iPad and looking for some new aviation or weather related apps.
Which apps are you using or would you recommend?
Hi,
I made this iPad app listing webcams located on Canadian Domestic Airspace as well as the METAR and TAF meteorological stations. contact me if you want to try it without payment

regards
Benoit
LFST

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

Cool. AeroWeather Pro also has webcams. If you don't see the one you want for your airport you can add it at Webcams.travel and it will show up in AeroWeather.

Benoit2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Benoit2 »

Hi,
Benoit2 wrote: Hi,
I made this iPad app listing webcams located on Canadian Domestic Airspace as well as the METAR and TAF meteorological stations. contact me if you want to try it without payment

regards
Benoit
LFST
SkyWriterSoft wrote:Cool. AeroWeather Pro also has webcams. If you don't see the one you want for your airport you can add it at Webcams.travel and it will show up in AeroWeather.
Yes but webcam.travel webcams are really interesting for visualFlightRules
and here it is typical webcam weather provided by Environment Canada and Nav Canada
with Metar Taf and therefore really used for VFR

high speed exit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by high speed exit »

Well this is just an ATC game but it looks pretty cool on the iPad.... everything looks cool on the iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radar-c ... 14755?mt=8

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Is the GPS receiver in the iPad 3 good enough stand alone or are people still buying external receivers like these?
I'm impressed with the GPS in the new ipad mini. I installed fore flight hopped on AC 15 from Toronto to Hong Kong way back in the rear and it tracked pretty much the entire way. I've not had a device do that inside the cabin before. I can sometimes get my iPhone to give a lat Lon up against the window but in my lap tracking for 15 hours.. Hats off apple!

The mini is really a nice size.

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

I believe that the cel versions of the new iPads are the only ones that have true GPS receivers in them. The WIFI only models don't have GPS.
I've tried the iPhone 5 and iPad mini in flight and they both have amazing GPS receivers. You can boot them up after traveling hundreds of miles and they can lock on to a signal in less than a minute.
I've also tested the blue tooth Bad Elf GPS and it works well. But it doesn't seem to be able lock on to the GPS quite as fast as the iPhone or iPad.

I've updated FlyBy E6B so that it will work with external GPS receivers now.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

yes you need the cell version to have gps otherwise position is only known when it sees known wifi.

speaking of ipad suggest trying puffin browser, it runs java and all the other goodies apple does not permit but does it in a cloud so
its vey fast!

high speed exit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by high speed exit »

high speed exit wrote:Well this is just an ATC game but it looks pretty cool on the iPad.... everything looks cool on the iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radar-c ... 14755?mt=8
Approach Control just got released too.

Nice playing it on the iPads big screen. There's an iphone versions also.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/approac ... 55526?mt=8

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

I found the iPad would not track very good without an external GPS in the King Air. I opted for the Bad Elf Pro which works well & almost exclusively with Forefilght. It's also good to sink up to five devices with it.

I've got staples to copy my POH and other binders required for reference on the airplane and book them into iBooks.

I have two iPads onboard & am paperless. For the CFS & terminal charts I subscribed to the EPUB CD & it's in iBooks also.

Other useful apps: findmyfriends - keep tabs on the bosses progression towards the airport.
Convert Free - all my conversions needs
iCAMP - maintenance tracker app.

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

I'm not sure I understand you comment about "almost exclusively with Foreflight". The Bad Elf Pro will work with any iOS program that uses the core location framework.

I find the Bad Efl Pro a "slippery sucker"! Have you found a good way to prevent it from sliding around the cockpit yet?

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”