From instructing to Georgian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

crj-erj
Rank 0
Rank 0

From instructing to Georgian

Post by crj-erj »

Hey folks,
I have been hearing from other forum posts that air georgian is not a bad place to build some quality time, in preperation for the airlines. I was wondering if you guys have heard of any instructors going straight from instructing to air georgian, or is there usually another step in between?

- From what i have gathered, their mins are 2000 TT is that right. Also, do they have minimum requirements on mulit or PIC time?

Thanks for your time
Justin
---------- ADS -----------

L.T.O.M.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: From instructing to Georgian

Post by L.T.O.M. »

An instructor left my FTU last summer for Georgian. From what I heard, he had about 1500 TT and the IATRA written. Another instructor from the same school left for there shortly after with around 2000 TT, including 500 MPIC. Good place to build time, from what I hear.

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Lots of instructors working at ggn now. Used to be they would not take anyone that did not have operational time. However as demand for those with operational experience has gone up recently and supply has gone down; ggn has relaxed its hiring requirements and is taking people with as little as 1200 hours and their atpl written or iatra.

GGN will definitely be a place to build time quickly.

crj-erj
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crj-erj »

x15 wrote:Lots of instructors working at ggn now.
thanks for the post. is there many who go straight from instructing to georgian, or would they usually have to get a small charter job or something to build multi time in between the two?
thanks again - Justin

CRJ-705
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CRJ-705 »

did instructors going to georgian instruct on a multi or would georgian hire guys with all single engine instructing time?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I have been hearing from other forum posts that air georgian is not a bad place to build some quality time, in preperation for the airlines
Good place to build time, from what I hear.
GGN will definitely be a place to build time quickly
These kind of comments must make the folks at Georgian feel all warm and fuzzy, and just want to pull out the old checkbook and pay for training...

Are there any new pilots out there that just want to fly and do a good job without considering their employer simply as a career step to put ink in the logbook so they can move on.?

thegrimm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thegrimm »

I went straight to Georgian from instructing. I had just over 1500TT, 300 or so multi, and my ATPL. Not sure what they are looking for now but I do know they now have new hiring practices similar to Air Canada with a cognitive and psych test.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

trey kule wrote:Are there any new pilots out there that just want to fly and do a good job without considering their employer simply as a career step to put ink in the logbook so they can move on.?
It's probably this way because of the pay rates. F/Os start at $24 000 with captains topping off at less than $60 000. Georgian probably wants it this way though - no expensive Pilots high on the pay scale. I would bet most move to the majors after 2-3 years in the left seat.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Are there any new pilots out there that just want to fly and do a good job without considering their employer simply as a career step to put ink in the logbook so they can move on.?
There seems to be less and less young pilots that are willing to learn the flying business in anything except jets.

A lot of owners of smaller airplanes have learned that training them can be costly without bonds.

The wages just go down and down because there are so many new pilots who are willing to work for slave wages, and as they move up to bigger airplanes they will take another cut to get closer to the " Big Iron " .

Once they make the big iron they find out just how little difference there is in flying them.

But....they get to drag their rolly icons through the terminals dressed in a nice unifrom with gold bars on it......." Aircraft bling. " Finally they are part of the herd of tens of thousands of other big iron drivers outq there.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

It's a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg?

True that many young pilots see nothing but making it to the big iron, and all those below AC or WJ are merely stepping stones for building time.

But the flip side is how attractive is it to stay at the lower tier operations? I know many who do settle in for the long term, but some pass through. Who can blame them for low pay, poor scheduling and working conditions, with many upper tier operators demanding that experience?

I can attest that putting down roots in the "lower tiers" can certainly pay off. I've found a good spot where I am happy, making good money, good schedule and so on, and *gasp* I'm flying turboprops. I may never fly a jet and I'm okay with that, nothing beats bombing around in a heavy turbo prop at 400 feet AGL all day, and only needing to work half the year!

CS01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CS01 »

Frosty wrote:
trey kule wrote:Are there any new pilots out there that just want to fly and do a good job without considering their employer simply as a career step to put ink in the logbook so they can move on.?
It's probably this way because of the pay rates. F/Os start at $24 000 with captains topping off at less than $60 000. Georgian probably wants it this way though - no expensive Pilots high on the pay scale. I would bet most move to the majors after 2-3 years in the left seat.
Where'd you get those numbers from? There's another GGN thread with much more current info. As for going to the airlines- 30 went to Air Canada in 2011 (out of about 115 pilots). Westjet takes one every couple months. Air Canada is taking Georgian pilots before they're even done their upgrade to captain. There are quite a few that want to remain here, mostly from the YHZ and YYC bases, however.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

A previous instructor of mine went straight in. No mpic to speak of. He was over 30, and I believe was ATC for a few years before going pilot side.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

About 3 or 4 decades ago, most of the pilots I knew, (with the exception of a few who enjoyed the bush due to the great outdoors aspect of it,) were also chasing airlines or big iron.

So I doubt this is some new gene that has appeared in pilot DNA in the last 10 years.

dazednconfused
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dazednconfused »

Does Georgian have a ramp/dispatch to FO opportunity like CMA or Perimeter would offer?

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

dazednconfused wrote:Does Georgian have a ramp/dispatch to FO opportunity like CMA or Perimeter would offer?
No. The only way in other than having the hours they are looking for is their mentor program. They take guys from Seneca College for this and are backed up for at least a year since all their senior captains are leaving.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Frosty wrote:

Incorrect. There is a payscale posted somewhere on the net. I can't remember where but it's pretty accurate.

Magnetron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Magnetron »

Krimson wrote:
No. The only way in other than having the hours they are looking for is their mentor program. They take guys from Seneca College for this and are backed up for at least a year since all their senior captains are leaving.
Krimson is right. They do hire low time guys through the mentor program and I also know a few instructors who have also been recently hired with less than to around a year of instructing. However I'm not sure the accuracy of ONLY taking guys from Seneca College.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

flying4dollars wrote:Incorrect. There is a payscale posted somewhere on the net. I can't remember where but it's pretty accurate.
CS01 wrote:Where'd you get those numbers from? There's another GGN thread with much more current info.
I got the salary figures from two different sites:

- http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... orgian.html
- http://..com/?page_id=547

If you guys have more current information, I urge you to email both of these sites and get them to update it.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Frosty wrote:
flying4dollars wrote:Incorrect. There is a payscale posted somewhere on the net. I can't remember where but it's pretty accurate.
CS01 wrote:Where'd you get those numbers from? There's another GGN thread with much more current info.
I got the salary figures from two different sites:

- http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... orgian.html
- http://..com/?page_id=547

If you guys have more current information, I urge you to email both of these sites and get them to update it.

I'm not seeing a figure that shows the starting pay is at 24k for f/o's and less than 60k tops for Capts. Captains top above 60 and f/o's start at 27 or 28.

CRJ-705
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CRJ-705 »

did instructors leaving for georgian instruct on a multi or would georgian hire guys with all single engine instructing time?

Return to “Employment Forum”