Career advancement or pay cheque?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DHeight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Career advancement or pay cheque?

Post by DHeight »

Hey guys, recently I have been offered a job at a company that will remain nameless. This company is known for advancing your careers to the majors within a few years. Seems like the most senior crew members are hovering around 4 years. If I take the job I would be leaving a job that pays enough to remain comfortable, but living in a city that is absolutely horrendous and gheto. Let's say there isn't much of a lifestyle involved where I live currently.

Weighing my options.

Take the new job, take a pay cut, move to a city where I can have somewhat of a lifestyle (with consideration due to pay cut), get 705 time, upgrade in approximately 2 years, do my time at this company and look forward to career advancement to the majors or a corporate gig.

Stay at current job, dislike where I live, get paid good, upgrade in 3 to 4 years on a turbine below 12.5, taste really good money in the left seat, and not experience career advancement due to not wanting to take a massive pay cut (which is exactly what our senior pilot's are experiencing, preventing them to apply to any of the airlines).

I don't expect anybody to answer this for me, but give me some food for thought.

I appreciate all the advice.
---------- ADS -----------

CRJ-705
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Career advancement or pay cheque?

Post by CRJ-705 »

personally i would take the new job.

and even you said it yourself, you dislike where you live at your current job

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

And if you'll upgrade a year or two faster at the new job you'll probably make up the difference in salary, not to mention making more in the long run by being in a better position in your career to move to bigger and better things.
The most important thing is lifestyle and being happy where you are. It doesn't sound like you're very pleased with your current situation, so take the pay cut if it'll make you happy.

fanspeed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by fanspeed »

Do what makes you happy, and stop asking an anonymous crowd what they think. Now, I have a question about a rash...

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

CRJ-705 wrote:personally i would take the new job.

and even you said it yourself, you dislike where you live at your current job

I agree. If you're not happy where you currently are, its time to move on. It will also speed up your career progression which will lead to higher pay in the future. But on the other hand, if you have a family in tow and the pay cut would put a lot of undue stress on you financially then that is also something to consider.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Lifestyle. The pay will follow.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

North Shore wrote:Lifestyle. The pay will follow.
+1

If you're not happy, who cares about the money?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

DHeight wrote:Hey guys, recently I have been offered a job at a company that will remain nameless. This company is known for advancing your careers to the majors within a few years. Seems like the most senior crew members are hovering around 4 years. If I take the job I would be leaving a job that pays enough to remain comfortable, but living in a city that is absolutely horrendous and gheto. Let's say there isn't much of a lifestyle involved where I live currently.

Weighing my options.

Take the new job, take a pay cut, move to a city where I can have somewhat of a lifestyle (with consideration due to pay cut), get 705 time, upgrade in approximately 2 years, do my time at this company and look forward to career advancement to the majors or a corporate gig.

Stay at current job, dislike where I live, get paid good, upgrade in 3 to 4 years on a turbine below 12.5, taste really good money in the left seat, and not experience career advancement due to not wanting to take a massive pay cut (which is exactly what our senior pilot's are experiencing, preventing them to apply to any of the airlines).

I don't expect anybody to answer this for me, but give me some food for thought.

I appreciate all the advice.
Seems to me that your goal is the airlines. Just so you know, you'll be taking a paycut when you go to the majors. So taking this mystery job would, say call it, 'prepare' you for the cut you take going to a major.

I think people focus too much on the initial pay cut. What many maybe forget, is that it takes about 3-4 years to make it back, but in the long run, you will be doing much better. Food for thought.

squash junky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squash junky »

Lifestyle now or an even better one in 10 or 20 yrs.
Tough choice.
I worked my bee-hind off in the first years, not caring about pay and after x years got to the right place at the right time with the right attitude, the right qualifications, and the right amount of luck.
Now I have a lifestyle I could only have dreamed about 30 yrs ago when I started.
There are no guarantees, but good people usually float up to the surface :)

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Take the new job and get the lifestyle you are looking for. You will eventually hate the new job as well but at least your life will be in order, unless you are doing all this to make the better half happy.

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jack In The Box »

I say you should go with the career advancement. People will preach lifestyle as long as you live, but sometimes to get there you gotta take the career advancement paths. Good luck!

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

CLguy wrote:Take the new job and get the lifestyle you are looking for. You will eventually hate the new job as well but at least your life will be in order, unless you are doing all this to make the better half happy.

What makes you say "eventually you will hate the new job too?" As someone thinking about pursuing aviation, I have imagined aviation would be a satisfying and fulfilling career.

Les Habitants
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Les Habitants »

cj555 wrote:
CLguy wrote:Take the new job and get the lifestyle you are looking for. You will eventually hate the new job as well but at least your life will be in order, unless you are doing all this to make the better half happy.

What makes you say "eventually you will hate the new job too?" As someone thinking about pursuing aviation, I have imagined aviation would be a satisfying and fulfilling career.
exactly :P

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Well the new job will eventually be the old job! Just ask any Air Canada Pilot when they can retire and everyone of them can tell you the exact day. They are now starting to wonder if there is even going to be a pension for them at the end. You don't go to work at the same job for 20 or 30 years, witness all the cutbacks and changes that have taken place in this industry and maintain the same enthusiasm and excitement you felt starting out. The Glory Days of aviation are long over, if there really was such a thing.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

CLguy wrote:Well the new job will eventually be the old job! Just ask any Air Canada Pilot when they can retire and everyone of them can tell you the exact day. They are now starting to wonder if there is even going to be a pension for them at the end. You don't go to work at the same job for 20 or 30 years, witness all the cutbacks and changes that have taken place in this industry and maintain the same enthusiasm and excitement you felt starting out. The Glory Days of aviation are long over, if there really was such a thing.

I have heard this sentiment going around for awhile. I have always wanted to be a pilot since I was very young, but ended up pursuing accounting instead. Now a few years into my career, I cannot see myself doing this for the rest of my life, and am considering purusing aviation.

Now that the "glory days" of aviation are over, does that mean this is no longer a desirable career, and most pilots are miserable in their jobs? I keep asking myself if I should go for it, or not. Many people encourage me, but many people do not. Its a very tough decision. What exactly has changed since the "glory days" that makes this career no longer desirable (besides the pension issue) for many pilots?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

The glory is what you make of it. It seems so many people are determined that the airlines are the glory, and for many it may still be and remain when they're there. For some people, the glory remains in making 100k flying turbo props around. Perhaps the idea of glory needs to move ahead with the times.

I know of pilot's in this industry who still wake up and love going to work.

I think the important thing is to find out what you like in the industry. For many they love the airline life style, for other's they hate it. See what you like. The nice thing about going to the airlines is that if you really dislike it, you can go back to what you were doing (in most cases).

Good Luck! :D

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

:?

Last edited by X-Savior on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Great posts everyone.

I agree that the "glory" is what you make of it...and you either have the calling to be a pilot, or you don't. The tough part about deciding to pursue aviation is you will never know until you try if you will be one of the "lucky" ones who makes it....OR if you will end up as the other 50% who never makes it. I am starting my PPL this month, then I will have to make a decision after that about what I want to do.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Now a few years into my career, I cannot see myself doing this for the rest of my life,

I think you have answered your own question by the above quote. Aviation is no different especially when you are living in Bumf##ck, Nowhere away from family and friends for extended periods of time trying to figure out how you are going to pay for the room you are renting in some flop house. There is no doubt there are good jobs in Aviation but it seems to me what young pilots have to put up with to even get to where they can start hoping for a shot is not worth it.

The float industry is at it lowest point ever so there are less entry level jobs. The wages paid today are in some cases less than what was paid in the 70's and 80's.

X-Savior good post!

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

I think you guys are putting too much emphasis on luck. Sure you can be lucky and be in the right place at the right time. No doubt it would make things a lot easier. However it is not luck which causes "50%" of pilots to not make it. It is just resignation. Be it from an extended period of not finding a job, finding a job in another field and making more money there and not wanting to take a pay cut, not wanting to give up a few years of friends and family for new ones. The ones who make it are not just lucky, its dedication. Doing something you really want to do, give in to the current state of our industry and do what it takes. If you have your eyes set on that company down the road from your house and not willing to take anything less, then chances are you won't make it. If you can cut free from your obligations for a few years, do some grunt work and come back. If you cannot just take off, then it will take some more work, find a rotational/seasonal job. Instruct part time for a few more years instead. If you just sit around waiting for luck, it will not happen. It doesn't have to be like this, but if its what you want to do, that's what it will take. There is some grunt work in a lot of professions, much more and much more dangerous in ours, but get to the top and try to change it from the top down, that will be the most effective way. Do what you can and help out the guys behind you.

Return to “Employment Forum”