STARS AW139

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rocks25
Rank 1
Rank 1

STARS AW139

Post by rocks25 »

Hey - does anyone know what the deal is with STARS and their AW139's that the bought a long time ago? I have found press releases online that they got their first one 2008, but their website doesn't list it as currently in their fleet? Arn't these the same choppers that ORNGE was flying and don't have enough room inside them to hang an IV bag? Whats the deal with STARS and their AW139's?
---------- ADS -----------

orngecrush
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: STARS AW139

Post by orngecrush »

The issue with the Ornge AW interior is that they were designed by an ego. AKA His Majesty Chris Mazza the rightly outsted very ex-CEO of Ornge. Take out the custom-designed abomination down the middle and you can nearly park a car in there. Go to the Ornge web site, look for the 2010 annual report, and it shows the interiors as Ornge's medics are forced to tolerate. Surely STARS is not built on the same calibre ego?

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

They placed the order in 2008, but I'm sure you know that AW doesn't have a showroom and hanger with rows upon rows of helicopters for sale. It had to be built, if I remember correctly, it was delivered in early 2010 but then had to have the medical interior installed. The first of three AW139s is scheduled for Edmonton this fall, Another for Saskatoon next spring, not sure when or where the third is going, but I suspect Winnipeg. They've had some delays with the ADs on the rotor boom upgrade as well as a redesign of the medical interior that required inspection and airworthyness approval.

I was beginning to think it was a white elephant too. I wonder how much of a kickback STARS got.

Last edited by FlyGy on Fri May 11, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

I had this conversation recently with an ex-STARS pilot and was told STARS is getting a different interior than Ornge. I look forward to seeing the Red AW139. I think it'll look cool.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

They were going to get the same interior as ORNGE but when all the probems were identified with it they had to get it redesigned. Go to the STARS website, they have pics of the 139 plastered all over it.

SmokyMark
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SmokyMark »

FlyGy, remember that STARS is NOT a government-run agency like ORNGE. It is a non-profit Society, and depends on the public's donations to run its operations. If there was any money available for 'kickbacks', it would be easier for them to hire staff.

Having said that, it might be that STARS has been double-checking the issues AW has had with the tail frame - 5 reported crashes in the past year with a total of 14 dead could bring that kind of response.

As posted in Wikipedia:
Notable accidents and incidents

3 June 2008, ADA, A6-BBB Abu Dhabi Aviation, UAE. CFIT.
25 August 2009, Gulf Helicopters, A7-GHC Doha, Qatar. Tail boom failure on ground.
2010 Spanish Maritime Safety Agency AW139 crash: On 21 January 2010, Spanish Maritime Safety Agency AW-139SAR (registration EC-KYR), crashed into the sea close to Almeria. 3 people died.[10]
3 July 2010, B-MHJ Hong Kong, ditched into Hong Kong harbour after technical problems.
23 February 2011, South Korean Coast Guard AW139 went missing off the southern island of Jeju. 5 people died.[11][12]
2 May 2011, Gulf Helicopters, Doha, Qatar, Tail rotor failure on ground.
30 June 2011, Kuala Lumpur, Weststar Aviation AW139 made a hard landing.
17 August 2011, Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau AW139 aircraft went missing into a reservoir in a northern suburb of Beijing (China), with five people aboard.Two confirmed fatalities, two missing.
August 2011, a Petrobras-chartered AW139 helicopter crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, killing all four people on board the aircraft.

I am looking forward to seeing STARS' new equipment in our area. Unfortunately, the calls themselves are not good news (particularly for the patients), but the crews and operations are top-notch!

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

SmokyMark wrote:FlyGy, remember that STARS is NOT a government-run agency like ORNGE. It is a non-profit Society, and depends on the public's donations to run its operations. If there was any money available for 'kickbacks', it would be easier for them to hire staff.
Yeah, which makes it even less accountable to the public, and that's worse. I still can't figure out how STARS can need 27 million to run 3 helos when a private contractor in BC could do it for 17.5 million and be profitable. Now that STARS is hiring Ex-ORNGE managers, they're looking more and more suspect.

westcoastwonder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by westcoastwonder »

You can not compare STARS to the BC Ambulance contract with HeliJet.
HeliJet just flys their aircraft for their 97 million over 8 years. So, give or take $12 million a year. They just supply and fly the aircraft.
STARS provides the paramedics, doctors and infrastructure to do that work. They have all sorts of base and overhead costs that are not accounted for in the BC model.

They are two separt models of service delivery. Both are excellent in their own way.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

STARS doesn't pay there paramedics and flight nurses. Its the perfect business model.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

westcoastwonder wrote: excellent in their own way.
That's what people said about ORNGE too.

BO105
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BO105 »

“I was beginning to think it was a white elephant too?”
STARS promised an operational AW139 in EMS configuration in 2008. They BOUGHT that one in 2007. This helicopter was on display with EMS interior in 2008. Then STARS had to scrap the EMS interior they had built by a US outfitter because it could not be certified through TCCA.
Then they traded the AW139 in and BOUGHT new 139s with ice protection system this time. STARS promised to have these helicopters operational in 2010 then 2011, now in late 2012.
These AW139s are in flyable condition and are on the STARS books! All that is missing to go operational is a certified EMS interior.
At least the ones Ontario bought are flying and serving their community every day!!!
I want my own loottery. $#@!#^*

Marc_CYBW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Marc_CYBW »

Check your facts carefully before you opine on how much money is needed to run STARS.

STARS obtains revenue from NFP, individual and corporate donations and government contracts (Alberta, BC, Sask and Manitoba)

STARS runs:
- a home base (dispatch, STARS Academy, patient sim training centre, fundraising and administration) plus 6 heli bases that combine operations and maintenance to one degree or another.
- a large scale training academy to provide advanced medivac training for nurses and paramedics
- 2 BKs each in Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Regina and Saskatoon plus one in Winnipeg.
- the first AW139 is in training mode and will soon be deployed.

All operational staff are paid market competitive wages and benefits.

rocks25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rocks25 »

So, whats the real story here on the AW139s? Its early 2013 and they're still not operational? how much did the delays and trade in on the 139's cost?

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

STARS is not good enough for Fort Mac.

http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/2013/0 ... e-at-night

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

STARS was too expensive to set up in Ft Mac, Paul stepped in and I'm sure will make a boatload of cash doing so.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Are you saying the rest of alberta/saskatchewan/manitoba could be over paying. How could that be. Im sure the air ambulance contract went through an open and public bidding process. Since alberta is so fiscally minded after all...... insert sarcasm

Paul will make a boat load of cash and good for him...

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

To my knowledge this isn't public money, but Industry funded. There are a fairly high number of Medevac flights already and this is just expanding that capability.

Paul being Paul... he'll do just fine.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

STARS is not free for the government to use. They do charge for there services. THey fundraise to buy the Aircraft and turn around and charge the same public for its use. Its the perfect business/crime.....

In manitoba is appears to be a sole source contract/agreement with STARS

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 97174.html

Return to “Helicopter Forum”