Interesting Approval for Air Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Interesting Approval for Air Canada

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Found this on another website.
Decision No. 194-A-2012
May 22, 2012

APPLICATION by Air Canada, on behalf of itself; Colgan Air, Inc. carrying on business as US Airways Express, United Express and Continental Connection (Colgan); and Champlain Enterprises, Inc. carrying on business as CommutAir and Continental Connection (CommutAir), pursuant to section 60 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended, and section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended.

File No.:M4835-2-56

Air Canada, on behalf of itself, Colgan and CommutAir, has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for an approval to permit Air Canada to provide its scheduled international services between Canada and the United States of America by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by Colgan and CommutAir between Canada and the United States of America, including between points in the United States of America, for an indefinite period or such period as may be authorized by the Agency. As the application was filed less than 45 days before the first planned flight, as required by subsection 8.2(2) of the Air Transportation Regulations (ATR), an exemption from the application of this provision is necessary. The Agency finds that compliance with subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR is impractical in this case. Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(l)(c) of the Canada Transportation Act (CTA), exempts Air Canada from the application of subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR.

Air Canada is licensed to operate scheduled international services, medium and large aircraft, in accordance with the Air Transport Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America signed on March 12, 2007.

The Agency has considered the application and the material in support and is satisfied that it meets the remaining requirements of section 8.2 of the ATR.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 60(1)(b) of the CTAand section 8.2 of the ATR, approves the use by Air Canada of aircraft and flight crew provided by Colgan and CommutAir, and the provision by Colgan and CommutAir of such aircraft and flight crew to Air Canada, to permit Air Canada to provide its scheduled international services on licensed routes between Canada and the United States of America by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by Colgan and CommutAir between Canada and the United States of America, including between points in the United States of America, for an indefinite period from the date of this Decision.

This approval is subject to the following conditions:

Air Canada shall continue to hold the valid licence authority.
Air Canada shall apply its published tariffs, in effect, to the carriage of its traffic. Nothing in any commercial agreement between the air carriers relating to limits of liability shall diminish the rights of passengers as stated in such tariffs.
The air service approved shall only be provided as long as a code-sharing agreement providing for such service remains in effect.
Air Canada, Colgan and CommutAir shall continue to comply with the insurance requirements set out in subsections 8.2(4), 8.2(5) and 8.2(6) of the ATR.
Air Canada shall continue to comply with the public disclosure requirements set out in section 8.5 of the ATR.
Air Canada, Colgan and CommutAir shall provide the Agency with a copy of any new agreement or amendments to the code-sharing agreement, including any new or amended annex, without delay.
This approval does not apply to the carriage of cargo.

Member(s)

Raymon J. Kaduck
J. Mark MacKeigan
---------- ADS -----------

YWGGuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Interesting Approval for Air Canada

Post by YWGGuy »

Well here is hoping that the scope clause will not allow this. This ladies and gentlemen is why limiting tier 2 flying to only Jazz is so important.

YWGGuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YWGGuy »

I took a look at Airline Pilot Central for pay.

DH8 FOs start at 22K a year and Captains at 41K a year at CommutAir.

FOs start at 24K a year and Captains at 42K a year for Colgan Air.

Absolute Disgrace.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

This my friends is unprecedented. I have never seen it go to this level. Can Jazz fly for American carriers in the US to do transborder routes? I love this industry... CR is a genius if this all works out. SCOPE clause, protect it or we'll see 175's/190's flown by these guys!

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

This is disgusting :shock:

It's hard to believe they actually approved this, which is simply aiding in the degration of this industry as well as the safety of the travelling public. What these executives are getting away with is truly ridiculous.

Last edited by BTyyj on Wed May 23, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

I'm more curious about this:
"As the application was filed less than 45 days before the first planned flight"

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

I wonder how secure all the new hires are feeling right about now. What's the name of that truck driving school...

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Can arbitration change the scope clause?

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

Growing up I always dreamed of flying for Canada's national airline. Well Canadian Airlines actually. Then by default Air Canada. Over the past 5 - 10 years it has been disheartning to see where the "top" airline is going. There have been several occasions over the years where I have contemplated throwing in an application but never did and now it all makes sense. I think both myself and a lot of other drivers who always aimed for the airlines will be looking to stay put and might just have a little bit more appreciation for the jobs we currently hold. Good luck to all those who just went to main line, Im sure there are a lot of people under you grateful for the vacancies you created at other various 703/704/705 operators who might just be looking to make a career out of it given the latest developments.

Just my 2 cents. Fire away if you must.

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

Not that I don't believe you, because I do. But could you provide a source for this?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

I too had to look it up myself, there it is:

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/194-a-2012

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

How is this all that much different from code share? This is just another step beyond in the increasingly globalized airline business.

vref
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vref »

Panama Jack wrote:How is this all that much different from code share? This is just another step beyond in the increasingly globalized airline business.
It's not...

Look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75105

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I would worry to much about Colgan taking all your flying.

We are taking 28 of their q400's, and there parent company, Pinnacle has dropped United Express flying (which is the only flying Colgan did).

Delta on the other hand have ratified their pilot contracts, with a clause about crj700 pay rates and have struck a deal with Southwest to take their 717's.

No chicken littles, the sky isn't falling.

HighT5
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HighT5 »

vref wrote:
Panama Jack wrote:How is this all that much different from code share? This is just another step beyond in the increasingly globalized airline business.
It's not...
Does this not mean Colgan can bid for AC flying? In effect, taking it away from Jazz/Sky/Georgian?

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Or if you see the other side of the coin, Colgans only option now is now Air Canada flying.

Good luck.

HighT5
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HighT5 »

Nark wrote:I would worry to much about Colgan taking all your flying.
We are taking 28 of their q400's
Newbie here. Who's the 'we' that are taking their planes?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

HighT5
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HighT5 »

So the Q400s are leaving Colgan. What are the odds of Colgan operating AC's ERJs?

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Zero chance.

Return to “General Comments”