Air India in talks with Air Canada to lease out five Boeing

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ventus2cxt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air India in talks with Air Canada to lease out five Boeing

Post by ventus2cxt »

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mumbai: Cash-strapped Air India is negotiating a deal with Air Canada to dry lease five of its Boeing 777-200 (long range) aircraft, airline sources said.
"We are in discussions with Air Canada to lease out these aircraft," Air India sources told PTI.
A team of officials from Air India would soon visit Canada to discuss modalities like leasing cost, etc in this regard, sources said, adding that the deal may be finalised as early as within next two-three weeks.
A founding-member of the Star Alliance, Air Canada is Canada's largest airline serving over 180 destinations in five continents. Besides, it also operates regional service Air Canada Express.
27/05/12 PTI/Economic Times
---------- ADS -----------

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air India in talks with Air Canada to lease out five Boe

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Interesting. Would this be to provide some interim lift given 787 delivery delays? Or is it more of a longer-term fleet renewal solution, for example to facilitate 767 divestitures?

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

Hmmm...rumour of new toys to placate pilots into cooperation through a difficult summer....nahhhhh

Sea2Sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sea2Sky »

Ah_yeah wrote:Hmmm...rumour of new toys to placate pilots into cooperation through a difficult summer....nahhhhh
Ridiculous. We can't even train guys fast enough on the 777s we ALREADY have. No offence, but if you think the company buying more 777s is something that will "placate pilots into cooperation", you don't work here, because this deal does very little to ease the sorts of contractual issues most of us are concerned with right now.

YO_MAMMA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YO_MAMMA »

So what does this mean for AC? Are they adding new routes or replacing other aircraft?

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

It means nothing until the planes are actually delivered, painted and online.

gegu1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gegu1 »

AC might just be looking at possible savings if they went with Air India
777 and then selling their 787 deliveries.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

OR maybe Air Canada is gonna start focusing on where they can actually make money.

HighT5
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HighT5 »

teacher wrote:OR maybe Air Canada is gonna start focusing on where they can actually make money.
Like the LCC?

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

Sea2Sky wrote:
Ah_yeah wrote:Hmmm...rumour of new toys to placate pilots into cooperation through a difficult summer....nahhhhh
Ridiculous. We can't even train guys fast enough on the 777s we ALREADY have. No offence, but if you think the company buying more 777s is something that will "placate pilots into cooperation", you don't work here, because this deal does very little to ease the sorts of contractual issues most of us are concerned with right now.
Rumours cost nothing and yes I work here. Been here long enough to know how many aerosexuals in our ranks foam at the mouth over this stuff. I don't care what I fly...show me the money !

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

teacher wrote:OR maybe Air Canada is gonna start focusing on where they can actually make money.
To me this makes sense, Air Canada needs to focus on it's wide body routes. However I don't think this deal has anything at all to do with that.
Sea2Sky wrote:
YO_MAMMA wrote:So what does this mean for AC? Are they adding new routes or replacing other aircraft?
The article says it's a dry lease deal. Crew's at AC will never see the planes. Likely AC get's a better financing rate than Air India. Isn't this pretty close, if not exactly the same (different planes though) as the Air Mexico deal? AC will make money off this deal if they're just dry leasing a couple 777's to a company that can't afford the lease rates offered to them by other lessor's. Until that company goes tit's up and the planes are stripped to nothing "Lord of War" style.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Like a reduction in the CPA?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

yycflyguy wrote:
Yes, that is where the $4B pension deficit resides :shock: FYI - the CPA rate reset negotiations have been completed.

As usual, pilots always look at the situation from the front seat perspective and rarely see the bigger picture. ACPA may bargain for the pilots but AC issues are much broader than those that fall within the sole purview of ACPA.

Contract 2012 is starting to make Contract 1998 look like a monumental victory. And all because the bigger picture continues to elude ACPA.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

http://airnation.net/2012/05/14/air-ind ... -grounded/
I didn't think India had the right to strike, forgive my ignorance, do they have unions there as well?

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

justwork wrote: The article says it's a dry lease deal. Crew's at AC will never see the planes. .
Huh? Generally, when airlines "dry lease" an aircraft from another company, it is so they can operate it themselves with their employees. Are you saying AC is doing this as a investment?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

yycflyguy wrote:
:lol: You so funny. You think it'd be cheaper if you guys did the regional flying? Even at these rates AC makes more money with us doing the flying than if you guys did it so don't go there. Regardless any money saved is good money no doubt. Jazz WILL be getting a hair cut in this round of rate negotiations I'm sure. I have a feeling it will benefit both AC AND Jazz.

Don't do the usual ACPA thing and look for your salvation in the wrong direction.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

milehighclub wrote:Nope. Selling headsets and crappy food during flights :rolleyes:

Try - any other airline in the free world - before you knock the food on AC.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

teacher wrote:
yycflyguy wrote:
:lol: You so funny. You think it'd be cheaper if you guys did the regional flying? Even at these rates AC makes more money with us doing the flying than if you guys did it so don't go there. Regardless any money saved is good money no doubt. Jazz WILL be getting a hair cut in this round of rate negotiations I'm sure. I have a feeling it will benefit both AC AND Jazz.

Don't do the usual ACPA thing and look for your salvation in the wrong direction.
Glad you saw the humour. It was meant to yank your chain. However, I was not implying that AC would do the regional flying. Especially now that there is a code share with United and their subsidiary Colgan Air. That's like providing lift for free.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Colgan Air......... this old wrinkled arse won't be on them.
:smt013 :smt096

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Old fella wrote:Colgan Air......... this old wrinkled arse won't be on them.
:smt013 :smt096
You mean the ones who pull back on the controls when they stall and retract the flaps? :shock: Me neither. I guess safety isn't Air Canadas #1 priority. It's the almighty dollar (for the management). :wink:

Return to “Air Canada”