Depression

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JaredLo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Depression

Post by JaredLo »

About four years ago in 2008 when I was a teenager I went to see a psychiatrist two or three times for depression, after my parents prodding me to do so. Prior to that I had gone through a period in high school where after a group of my close friends robbed me and I became something of an introvert. It was all a bunch of stupid teenage drama. So for about a year in 2007-2008 I didn't do much other than watch TV, read books and play video games. My parents were understandably concerned, seeing as I wasn't working or going to school.

Fast forward two years later, and I go and try to get a Class 1 medical. Transport Canada requested that I see one of there psychologists to review my case. So I sat and spoke with him for an hour and explained my situation. Well, he wasn`t convinced that I was over my depression and recommended that I be denied a medical. I was denied a medical and I think made the mistake of not appealing the decision.

So after being denied a medical I decided to go back to school and upgrade my marks. I retook all of my grade 11-12 Math, Science, and English courses and spent about a year working on them. I finished all of them with straight A`s. This was a major change from my high school grades where my highest was a C. A friend of mine convinced me to go traveling for a year before doing any further schooling. I ended up going to Nepal to do some wandering and trekking for a month. I met some people while trekking who were going to be volunteering at a school in Kathmandu, so I headed back with them to check it out. Well I wound up teaching Science and English for 8 months at the school before heading back to Canada.

Now I foolishly still want to be a pilot and am about to go for my class 1 medical again. I had a meeting with my GP yesterday and went over my medical history. I found out yesterday that in the letter the review psychologist sent Transport Canada, he recommended that I should be symptom free of any depression and barred for five years before being reassessed. This shocked me and my GP who is now writing a letter on my behalf.

So I don't know what the heck to do here. I'm certainly not depressed now, and the depression I had as a teenager wasn't particularly serious. My family is all behind me and willing to vouch for me, as are my teachers with whom I upgraded my marks, and my colleagues and the administration of the school that I taught at for 8 months.

I don't really know where to go from here, how do I best fight this? Thanks for any advice.
---------- ADS -----------

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Depression

Post by Xander »

Thank you for sharing this life experience with us.

Depression is a serious illness, and it seems to me that you took the right steps to cure it.

I personnally never was denied a medical but I encourage you to continue your fight to obtain it, because by posting your story you have demonstrated your courage and determination, and we all know that those traits are absolutely necessary for any individual willing to be part of this profession.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Alex

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Keep up the good fight through your GP, and visit TC and ask for a review again. Many of us do/think a lot of stupid stuff in High School, and completely grow out of it a few years later. I'm sure a bit of seeing the world has probably opened your eyes a little...

Keep us posted.

Good Luck!

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

ALPA had a guy in YYZ that was particularly good with tough medical cases and was helpful at getting many pilots their class 1 back.

I can't remember this guys name or if he was even a doctor but he was a smart advocate either way.

Someone on here should remember his name.

He may have been an Air Canada Pilot from CALPA days that got his own medical back with only 1 eye.

What was his name........maybe he is gone now.

Keep fighting the fight!

Maybe an ALPA or ACPA guy could suggest something?

Jim

JaredLo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JaredLo »

Thanks for the support guys.

I don't really know what the process is that transport Canada will now put me through, seeing as their review psychiatrist recommended me barred for five years. I'm trying now to book an appointment with another psychiatrist in order to get another opinion in my favour.

JaredLo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JaredLo »

Does anyone know if the M.O.T. will accept the assessment of a psychologist or does it have to be a psychiatrist for an assessment of depression?

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

A buddy of mine just got out of terrible 15 year marriage. His Dr. got him on anti-depressant pills. You know...dumb you down drugs.

I suggested a natural alternative. He's awesome now. I've never been on them because I don't need a serotonin boost as I have an alternative outlet for frustrations that life's brings. I physically work out hard until I puke into a waste basket. :wink:

For everyone else there http://www.onnit.com/new-mood/

Try the Alpha Brain...it's amazing. And Shroom 'Tech Sport

And one more thing....JOIN MY CULT MOFO'S :smt096 http://www.twitter.com/iwasbirddog

Return to “Health & Fitness”