Calm Air Layoffs?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

YWGGuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Calm Air Layoffs?

Post by YWGGuy »

Heard through the grape vine that Calm Air may be laying a few people off? Any truth to that?
---------- ADS -----------

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Calm Air Layoffs?

Post by paddy »

YWGGuy wrote:Heard through the grape vine that Calm Air may be laying a few people off? Any truth to that?
From what you've said, I can in fact confirm that you have heard this through the grape vine.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Voluntary layoff, from what I've been able to glean. Something like 10% reduction?.

If a guy was single, and willing to travel, it seems, from a quick google search, that there are a fair amount of ATR and Saab jobs out there...

Best wishes to all affected..

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

I heard that they lost a huge contract for northern air cargo/food mail to Nolinor. Not sure if this is true as Google has not yielded any news releases.

Thompson-Winnipeg is also an appealing route for WestProp? Troll.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I have saw the convair up in Thompson ALOT lately.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

If anyone gets laid off or is about to get laid off, Sunwing is presently advertising in Germany to hire German pilots for the next winter season. They are asking for B-737NG type ratings though, which we all know is wrong. That is just an excuse to hire foreigners and not have to pay for training and also a method that TUI-owned Sunwing is using to help out other TUI-owned companies during their low European season. This is worse than companies those who want to make you sign training bonds.

If you are Canadian Citizen or a Canadian Resident and would like to be considered for a B-737 first officer job at Sunwing, send your Resume and a cover letter to :

The Honourable Diane Finley
Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development
Place du Portage
Phase IV, 14th Floor
140 Promenade du Portage
Mail Stop: 1401
Gatineau, Quebec
K1A 0J9
Telephone: 819-994-2482
Fax: 819-994-0448
E-Mail: diane.finley@hrsdc-rhdsc.gc.ca

She is the one who will authorize the German and other foreign pilots to come and work in Canada on the basis that there is a shortage of qualified pilots here. We all know this to be false.

Be sure to let her know that you are soon to be laid off and that you are an experienced and qualified airline pilot who can easily learn to fly a B737 after a short type-rating course and that you want the Sunwing job instead of her giving it away to the foreigners.

It would probably help out if you sent a copy of the same letter and resume to your local MP.

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

EIC may just want them to "work harder". Calm Air has 18? aircraft and approx 110pilots? Bearskin has 16 aircraft and 75 pilots. Perimeter has 30+ aircraft and 110 pilots.

username80
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by username80 »

This can't be good. Laying off pilots while buying more airplanes and building a new hangar, something seems odd. I call it corporate greed!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

BEFAN5 wrote:EIC may just want them to "work harder". Calm Air has 18? aircraft and approx 110pilots? Bearskin has 16 aircraft and 75 pilots. Perimeter has 30+ aircraft and 110 pilots.
Hmm. Great way to turn a 'destination' job into a stepping stone. Everyone I've ever met from Perimeter wants to get their time and get out to a job that allows them a quality of life - something that working right to CARs duty limits does not...

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

North Shore wrote:
BEFAN5 wrote:EIC may just want them to "work harder". Calm Air has 18? aircraft and approx 110pilots? Bearskin has 16 aircraft and 75 pilots. Perimeter has 30+ aircraft and 110 pilots.
Hmm. Great way to turn a 'destination' job into a stepping stone. Everyone I've ever met from Perimeter wants to get their time and get out to a job that allows them a quality of life - something that working right to CARs duty limits does not...
True. But I also know people at perimeter hanging up their hat there. They may work 14 hours per day, but work 16 days per month (6 or so of which are on call and during the "slow season" turns into a day at home), home every night, and above average salary. Sure there is no pension. But in 10 years, who WILL have a pension?

Opinions a side; has anyone actually come across a press release or anything? I can imagine they are going to try and handle this as quietly as possible. EIC being a young(er) holding company who prides themselves on getting involved with profitable "niche" companies, this will reflect their stock price.

Princess_Peach
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Princess_Peach »

Such sad news. Has anyone heard when exactly Calm Air is going follow through with the layoffs? I understand that the voluntary leave still stands, but I guess we don't know for how long. Even their ground crew is taking a hit. It has to be tough...

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

Unfortunate for the Calm air boys/girls. I know I tried getting a job there about a year ago when things were sounding stable. This was just before the Jet talks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the medical contract which Calm Air operates in the Kivalliq region is sub contracted to them from Canadian North, right? Let me also say that internally the rumors of Canadian North buying First Air is very much alive. Some say the deal is already done, some say the deal fell through. None the less, if I were at Calm Air, I would be holding onto my seat tight, because if the latter is true (I don't have a Business Degree) but I can see First Air taking over the flying completely (I believe 7F does a portion of it right now). Would it make sense for 5T to sub contract a company to compete against yourself?

I hope I'm wrong. I have many friends there and have nothing but good things to say about them.

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

[quote="200Above"] (I believe 7F does a portion of it right now). [/quote]

True.

Veereference
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Veereference »

Perhaps it's to save a few bucks so the EIC boys can have a few more conferences in Vegas? A birdie told me that Perimeter Aviation is the only company actually printing money in the EIC group (airline side anyhow). Perhaps EIC wants Calm Air crewing to better compare to Perimeter. From what I have been told Perimeter crew can start their day planing to have a short day and then without notice get the shaft and do a 14 hour day without any compensation or anything. Talk about taking it up the A$$. Perhaps Bearskin and Keewatin will follow? 14 hour days for all! :rolleyes: Hope the money is good at the Big Green Machine! Is it green because that's the colour of printing money on the backs of your employees?

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

Veereference wrote:Perhaps it's to save a few bucks so the EIC boys can have a few more conferences in Vegas? A birdie told me that Perimeter Aviation is the only company actually printing money in the EIC group (airline side anyhow). Perhaps EIC wants Calm Air crewing to better compare to Perimeter. From what I have been told Perimeter crew can start their day planing to have a short day and then without notice get the shaft and do a 14 hour day without any compensation or anything. Talk about taking it up the A$$. Perhaps Bearskin and Keewatin will follow? 14 hour days for all! :rolleyes: Hope the money is good at the Big Green Machine! Is it green because that's the colour of printing money on the backs of your employees?
It would be nice to actually see the breakdown by company (I have yet to come across such info). I had heard Perimeter and Calm were in the green, with Keewatin being the in the red. Again, all hear-say.

In regards to your negative remarks about Perimeter. Every company has its' ups and down. Perimeter pilots will get paid overtime for anything over what is considered to be more than a full time job. In the past year (to my knowledge) only one pilot has actually worked so much that he/she was entitled to OT. While there are some long 14 hour days, the average is around 10. Which still works out to less that a "real" FT job. Considering it is one of the most desired company to get into for low timers, it must not be that bad! At least the FO's can afford to pay rent.

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

Starting in the second quarter of 2012, Calm Air will no longer be providing regular chartered service to a significant mining
customer who they serviced for the last few years. A combination of cost cutting and increased capacity will help to limit the impact
of this customer loss in the short-term. Management is working to redeploy this capacity in other areas over the long-term and
continues to see opportunities with new customers.

TAWS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TAWS »

Contract talks between the Calm Air pilots and management are just about to start.....

This is standard contract negots 101...."We got no more money....look we are laying off"

After a new contact is signed, everyone who is laid off will miraculously get a call back, guaranteed!

username80
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by username80 »

Ran into Someone in the "know" in YYC and he said the company is down sizing by 10%. 50 flight attendants (5 to be let go). 120 pilots (12 to be let go). But they are buying another ATR, another Jet and building a massive new hangar in YWG. Something is fishy!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

File a common employer petition to the CIRB and be done with it. Do not let them play a corporate shell game, especially when it comes to collective bargaining.

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

Hope they don't layoff. I know a bunch of maintenance guys there. All great people. They bust their ass off everyday.
Hope things will get better for them.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”