Air Canada hires senior Harper aide as government liaison

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Canada hires senior Harper aide as government liaison

Post by nottellin »

This is how democracy works I guess :?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... anada.html
Air Canada says a senior aide to Prime Minister Stephen Harper will become the airline's vice-president for corporate strategy and government affairs, starting in September.

Derek Vanstone is currently Harper's deputy chief of staff and was previously chief of staff to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty from 2007 to 2010.

He previously practised law in Toronto with the firm Gowling Lafleur Henderson.

Air Canada says Vanstone will have responsibility for its relationships with all levels of government as well as community and industry affairs.

Derek Vanstone has taken a job with Air Canada. (Twitter)
The appointment is scheduled to take effect Sept. 10, subject to approval from the federal commissioner overseeing conflicts of interest and ethics.

New Democrat MP Charlie Angus, the party's critic on ethics files, said Thursday that this is an example of the old boys club at work.

"It's a nudge-nudge, wink-wink system that you have a senior advisor to the prime minister who just happens to be now coming back as the man opening the doors for Air Canada. This is what Mr. Harper said he would clean up, and he hasn't. In fact, he seems to have opened the door for his staff, for his friends to carry on like this. It's not acceptable."

'Key' government affairs role
Air Canada CEO Calin Rovinescu said in a statement that the job is a"key corporate strategy, industry and government affairs role."

"His solid experience and track record in the private sector and at the highest levels of government will further strengthen the management team's ability to execute our corporate priorities."

Vanstone will fill a role currently performed by Duncan Dee, who is taking early retirement. His departure, following 15 years with the airline, was announced on June 6.

Dee has been Air Canada's chief operating officer, a position that's often seen as second-in-command to the CEO and a potential successor to whoever is the chief executive.

Joanne McNamara, who had been serving as chief of staff to Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore, has been named to replace Vanstone in Harper's office.

Government intervened in two labour disputes
Air Canada has been engaged in an often bitter labour dispute with most of its unionized employees in recent months.

The threat of a lockout of pilots, and a strike notice from the mechanics and baggage handlers, had prompted the Harper government to intervene with back-to-work legislation in both disputes.

Air Canada said Vanstone wasn't involved in the back-to-work legislation.

"Derek had no involvement with Air Canada on any aspect of Bill C-33 or any other legislation affecting Air Canada," spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said.

The law allowed federally appointed arbitrators to impose settlements within 90 days.

Last month an arbitrator decided in favour of the airline in the case of the mechanics and baggage handlers, putting in place a new collective agreement.

The airline's 3,000 pilots are still in the process of working through their dispute with a separate federal arbitrator. A decision is required by the end of this month.

with files from CBC News
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Air Canada hires senior Harper aide as government liaiso

Post by Rockie »

nottellin wrote:"Derek had no involvement with Air Canada on any aspect of Bill C-33 or any other legislation affecting Air Canada," spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said.
:vom: :vom: :vom:

chatman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chatman »

And when will the pilots find out the bad news

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jack In The Box »

nottellin wrote:This is how democracy works I guess :?
Seriously?? This is a free market economy! Air Canada has the right to dang well hire whoever they want. I don't like it either, but puh-lease :roll:

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I heard they PFO'd 7 more qualified guys, 5 failed the cog test and 2 couldn't take the pay-cut from their current employers.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

I don't think you find out the reason for your PFO (unless its a medical issue) so those guys who PFOd through the COG unless they knew they tanked it (use luminosity.com take a few days and it's straightforward) it could very well have been the interview. Most people fail to think about the interview as an HR type interview. When they ask certain questions they are looking for specific ways to answer the questions (self development, flexibility etc... google behavioural interviews) if you focus on that stuff (which some people surprisingly do not) it would help out a lot of people.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

ZBBYLW wrote:I don't think you find out the reason for your PFO
For the government liaison position they tell you. :wink:

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

ZBBLYW, try re-reading Changes in Latitudes post out loud in the most sarcastic tone possible…

Jack in the Box, in a free market employees are able to negotiate their wages, benefits and working conditions 'freely' with their employer.

The truth is bringing Derek Vanstone onboard will probably benefit Air Canada's employee's in ways they do not, and should never appreciate. It would be pretty nieve to think that having access to the Federal Ministers isn't in a business' best interest, but considering the co-ordination and interference in labour negotiations we've witnessed in the past year between the Fed's and companies such as Canada Post, CN Rail and Air Canada, it's hard for this not to leave a bad taste.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

Jack In The Box wrote:
Seriously?? This is a free market economy! Air Canada has the right to dang well hire whoever they want. I don't like it either, but puh-lease :roll:

Sure it is a free Market, so why can an employee not use his legal right to strike, its a free country isn't it?. The point was that this company is in bed with the federal government during a time of unprecedented trampling of workers rights. That was what I was getting at. Here's an eye roll back at ya :roll:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Simple reality for the Feds is that AC in its current form is a CASH COW and feeds hundreds of millions of $$$ into varying federal coffers in the form of fees, taxes, rents, and employment for government employees and agencies. They want it to remain but they do not want to meaningfully subsidise it. So they act in minimally interventionist ways that keep it going but NEVER permit it to get to a legitimately sustainable form through the normal process of equilibrium and market forces.

You reap what you sow. This soap opera will last for years to come.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

And that folks is what I get for reply at 5 or 6 AM before having a coffee!

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Zip Tie »

nottellin wrote:
Jack In The Box wrote:

Sure it is a free Market, so why can an employee not use his legal right to strike, its a free country isn't it?. The point was that this company is in bed with the federal government during a time of unprecedented trampling of workers rights. That was what I was getting at. Here's an eye roll back at ya :roll:
THIS COUNTRY'S GOVERNMENT, IN KEEPING WITH THE BEST INTEREST OF ITS CITIZENS,THE POPULATION MAJORITY, WILL NOT ALLOW THE EMPLOYEES OF AIR CANADA OR ANY OTHER GROUP TO INFLICT DAMAGE TO THE CURRENT FRAGILE ECONOMY.IS THAT NOT CLEAR? IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AND I SAY BRAVO TO HARPER FOR PROTECTING THE REST OF US DESPITE AIR CANADA'S UNIONS AND ITS PROBLEMS.WE HAVE, AS TAX BURDENED PEOPLE, DONE ENOUGH FOR THIS DAMN AIRLINE AND ITS EMPLOYEES AND YET IT IS IN OUR FACE AGAIN.YES I AM SHOUTING SO EVERYBODY CAN HERE.CAPS LOCK ON.

corytrevor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by corytrevor »

Hey Zippie you are one messed up little troll. Hope you feel better now. Wow.

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Zip Tie »

:lol:
corytrevor wrote:Hey Zippie you are one messed up little troll. Hope you feel better now. Wow.
Oh no now I am a troll.Seems that you are a troll if people don't like what you say on here.So be it.

becks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by becks »

Don't feed the troll guys, just another bitter pilot that most likely just received his PFO letter

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jack In The Box »

nottellin wrote:
Jack In The Box wrote:

Free market has nothing to do with the right to strike. We are deluding ourselves if we think the AC strike would have been good for anyone but us (and even then...), do you really think the rest if Canada is going to support us while we screw with their march break travel plans? I get it, it sucks but it's life. Air travel is important, and I'm sick of people defending unions.

Bored
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bored »

Please don't forget that the pilots were not going on strike. They were threatening to but the company set a time to lock them out. This "forced" the gov'ts hand to conveniently bring in the legislation to impose a contract. It wasn't the "greedy" unions that wanted to shut down everyone's March Break plans. It was certainly portrayed that way.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

There was no intention of striking by the pilots. The pilots wanted a negotiated agreement yet the corporation elected to stonewall the process and locking out both the pilots and the IAMAW and forcing bill c-33 upon the working drones. The "fragile economy" rhetoric is a pile of BS. If the government had stayed out of the negotiating process there would have been an agreement already.
WE HAVE, AS TAX BURDENED PEOPLE, DONE ENOUGH FOR THIS DAMN AIRLINE AND ITS EMPLOYEES AND YET IT IS IN OUR FACE AGAIN.
Tell me again what the taxpayers have done for the airline? Air Canada is a MASSIVE tax cash cow for the feds and an interruption would have serious implications on tax revenues from the corporation and it's associated secondary tax streams.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Zip Tie wrote:THIS COUNTRY'S GOVERNMENT, IN KEEPING WITH THE BEST INTEREST OF ITS CITIZENS,THE POPULATION MAJORITY, WILL NOT ALLOW THE EMPLOYEES OF AIR CANADA OR ANY OTHER GROUP TO INFLICT DAMAGE TO THE CURRENT FRAGILE ECONOMY.IS THAT NOT CLEAR? IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AND I SAY BRAVO TO HARPER FOR PROTECTING THE REST OF US
Harper is using fear to ram through what is an ideological agenda that has nothing to do with the economy. They used the same line for the postal workers who gave their guarantee financial mail would continue to be delivered, and it was the corporation who locked them out. Harper then imposed a contract more punishing to the employees than what the corporation had offered.

Harper used the economy excuse to deny ticket agents their rights, and only a complete moron would believe their strike posed any threat to the airport's economy never mind the nation's.

Denying worker's their right to strike is Harper's only purpose here. If Canada was drowning in wealth with an indestructible economy federally regulated employees would STILL be denied their rights.

Finally, worker's rights ARE in this country's best interests. If you really don't believe that a place like China or North Korea might appeal to you. Worker's rights are the only reason Canada even has a middle class which is the true engine of our economy. That is something the simpletons who currently govern this country and their supporters can't seem to wrap their brains around.

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Zip Tie »

Rockie wrote:
Zip Tie wrote:THIS COUNTRY'S GOVERNMENT, IN KEEPING WITH THE BEST INTEREST OF ITS CITIZENS,THE POPULATION MAJORITY, WILL NOT ALLOW THE EMPLOYEES OF AIR CANADA OR ANY OTHER GROUP TO INFLICT DAMAGE TO THE CURRENT FRAGILE ECONOMY.IS THAT NOT CLEAR? IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AND I SAY BRAVO TO HARPER FOR PROTECTING THE REST OF US
Harper is using fear to ram through what is an ideological agenda that has nothing to do with the economy. They used the same line for the postal workers who gave their guarantee financial mail would continue to be delivered, and it was the corporation who locked them out. Harper then imposed a contract more punishing to the employees than what the corporation had offered.

Harper used the economy excuse to deny ticket agents their rights, and only a complete moron would believe their strike posed any threat to the airport's economy never mind the nation's.

Denying worker's their right to strike is Harper's only purpose here, and if Canada was drowning in wealth with an indestructible economy federally regulated employees would still be denied their rights.

Finally, worker's rights ARE in this country's best interests. If you really don't believe that a place like China or North Korea might appeal to you. Worker's rights are the only reason Canada even has a middle class which is the true engine of our economy. That is something the simpletons who currently govern this country and their supporters can't seem to wrap their brains around.
It is good and sound decision making to protect the economy and its people during unusual and fragile economic times.The population majority elected this government and the population majority will be protected by that government.Air Canada is a huge cog in the economic wheel and so is West Jet and so is Canada Post..... list goes on.None shall be allowed to disrupt the lives of the Canadian people at this time.Its a done deal and the sand pounding will just hurt your hand.The arbitration decision will be final.

Return to “Air Canada”