Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

airdrome aeroplanes

Post by Beefitarian »

http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/index.html

Anyone farmiliar? Their products look really great and simple, everyone on the internet claims they fly well also. They make ultralights, .75 scale and full sized WWI replicas.
I found them last night on the internet and stayed up until 3am looking at everything I could find. I'll probably never do it but I want to buy and build a bunch of them now.

---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: airdrome aeroplanes

Post by fleet16b »

Hey Beef

These guys are at Oshkosh every year. The product is not too bad and better than what has been offered in the past by others.
On a scale of one to ten when rated against other kits , I would give them a 6.5 -7 .
There is a group in New Zealand that build really accurate WW1 aircraft complete with new manufacture rotary , yes rotary , engines. They are closer with about a 7-8 out of ten.
The best WW1 replicas at present are by Neil Davidson in Alberta. His examples are built almost exactly to original specs/plans and also have original engines . His are 8 -9.5. Don't think it is possible to get a perfect ten out of temn replica
I don't want to diminish the Aerodrome example because they are actually quite good and are full scale. With some really good attention to detail and proper build methods, they are the basis for a really good replica.

Overall, for budget, speed of build etc, the airdrome aeroplanes are pretty good.
For the average pocketbook etc the best choice

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

One of the things that stand out to me is the claim that they are such nice flying aircraft and full sized. I would take that right away over accuracy. I may do a great disservice to the inside accuracy if I actually built one as I would want a radio and xponder for sure. The base kit seems pretty resonably priced. The one I read about being built has a rotary engine from Australia I believe.

Thanks for the tips, does Neil do kits or just builds?

Edit:
Ok I just googlestalked Mr. Davidson and loosly found "Davidson Aeroworks" he seems to be in BC. I think he might hate me if I built a plane because he's into accuracy. I'd rather have a plane that looks good but flies even better. I totally respect restorations though.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Beef

Ya my mistake I knew Neil was in BC don't know why I said Alberta.
I believe he will build you and accurate WW1 aircraft or build you a kit.
I heard that he had last year done a real,accurate Avro 504k and had a second part finished one for sale.
He also does other antique a/c bits . I have friend that get T/Moth spars and Gpsy Moth struts made from him.
I have seen them and the work is first rate!

His prices for an full a/c are expensive, so I agree that the Aerodrome copies would be more realistc.
As for accuracy well all antique aircraft have ELT's for example so they are not perfect. In my vintage aircraft , I carry a hand held on my leg for airshows but never use a radio while pleasure flying ( just leave it behind) One can preserve accuracy of the aircraft by just not mounting anything more modern than is mandatory.

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm too chicken to go NORDO. I wish airdrome made some two seaters even though they wouldn't be accurate. Then I could build a sopwith dove or something and take my dad or one of the kids flying with me.

I have been authorised to buy a rudder/vertical stabalizer kit by my minister of finance aka (the wife). :D

DAC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DAC »

Beefitarian - Have you progressed with your kit purchase? Any info to share re: a/c you plan to build, comments on kit quality received etc.?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

No, sorry. I have been browsing on the internet to see what others have done. I'm a pretty big blabber fingers so if I get something from Airdrome I'll post about it. The kits seem to be mostly aluminum tubes rivited together. They seem really nice and basic so the quality ends up depending on me the actual builder.

You might like to check out this guy's build of their sopwith pup. It's really nice. http://www.ourgreatphysician.com/cfp/cf ... es/Pup.htm

And here's some threads on another forum about the pup http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/repli ... oject.html

and the first Camel build. http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/repli ... camel.html

There's some pretty good video stuff with a bunch of their kits flying they seem pretty affordable. I kind of need a partner to motivate me to get on it. An excentric guy like me that would like to build a Camel only with a nice hanger at YYC. :P

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

There is a fellow in Lamont Alberta, Graham Lee, who has been selling plans and even kits I think of a Nieuport 11 replica. I have seen one flying and it looked pretty good. He has been selling plans since the 1980's at least.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Took me a while to dig it up but here's a fun looking Sopwith Baby replica built using the same techniques as used in the Airdrome aircraft:
http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... 16&start=0

It looks great AND has two seats! Another two-seater is the Nieuport 12 replica that I though Airdrome had a kit for but maybe it's from one of the other Nieuport builders.

LnS.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Thanks LnS.

I've been stalking that guy a bit. He had them build the prototype Camel that has become an Airdrome kit and now he's working with Robert Baslee on that Baby. It will likely become a kit also once they have it all worked out the way they want it. They say it will be the first two seater.

I don't know what the capacity is like on the Baby in regards to weight but it seems to be a pretty snug side by side. I had to finish the mashed potatoes again tonight so I might never be able to squeeze in with a passenger into one of those. :oops: They arn't kidding when they say he takes a while to answer e-mails, it's ok though I'm obviously not in hurry.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I think 'cozy' would probably be a good way to describe the cockpit of the Sopwith Baby. It looks like it's only 1 1/2 people wide at most which would restrict you to mostly quite lithe passengers. Just saying.

I did a little searching and it turns out the Nieuport 12 I was thinking of is from a set of plans by Graham Lee of Circa Reproductions:
http://www.nieuports.com/index.asp?page=nieuport12
Looks like a fun airplane, especially if you kept it light as could be.

LnS.

Mellokeith
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mellokeith »

Hi Beef,

I've been checking out airdrome aeroplanes for a while too. The shortcoming for me is that they are light sport aircraft and rated for absolutely no aerobatics...

A few posts back you said you wish they had a 2seater... About a month ago they flew their new Sopwith Tabloid and are building a Sopwith Baby. Both are (tight) side by side two seaters.

They just started a Facebook page on which I believe they have photos of the Tabloid posted.

They also have a chat site that has loads of pictures and the builders talk to each other for tips. It's a real nice little community.

I'm on my iPad so I can't look them up right now, but I'm sure you could google and find both.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Thanks. One of the links I posted was a forum where several people post that have built and flown Airdrome kits.

I am a little concerned that if built one I would have difficulty flying it because of having to schedule times when the wind is light.

I'm at Oshkosh so I might find them and ask some questions. They never responded to e-mail.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I met Robert and had several conversations with him, super nice guy. I will update this thread with anything pertinent and then some. I plan to start with building a rudder and see how it goes from there.

We discussed why he doesn't build two seaters. He wants to stick with WW I planes. The typical pilot then was 130lbs. I outweigh two of those guys already. To keep the C of G moment from going to far out you need to move the pilot seat to far forward and it interfers with the passenger compartment.

If you want a two place plane you will need to fly something else.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, so currently I'm wasting all my wife's money on pizza, mountain dew, scotch, trips to Oshkosh and occasionally renting C-172s when the weather doesn't suck.

Last edited by Beefitarian on Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooter19
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hooter19 »

Does anyone know if the Nieuport 17 partial kit is still for sale and does anyone have contact info for the seller?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Click on his ad here http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 26#p787726

There's some pictures and an e-mail address.

terminaldude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by terminaldude »

Sorry Boy's. I sold the Nieuport to a guy from Loisianna in March. He is a retired AirForce Col. Retired is the opertune word, since he has lots of time to work on it. He has done more in the last 2 months than I did in the last 2 years.
They are a very easy first build if anyone is serious about wanting one. The main thing is call Rober Baslee (pronounced Bozlee) the designer and kit seller. He is very easy to talk to and will help any way he can. He rarely answers email though. They now have a builder assist program and if I was to do it again, that is what I would do for a couple thousand more. In two or three day, you can have the fuselage on the gear and the rear surfaces done. That took me about 4 years. A couple more days and your wings would be done as well, so for say $15,000, you could have an airframe on the gear and wings. Ad an engine and instruments, cover and sit back and wait for the "Babes" at the flyins. Leather jacket and a scarf and you are the coolest guy at the flying breakfast. If you like the WW1 aircraft, these are the best out there right now. They do sell a two place side by side which is period accurate. It is a Sopwith Tabloid/baby. They were used at the start of the war but fazed out quickly. It would be a cool WW1 2 place though.
Happy building.
Doug

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Cool, I'll edit that post.

Hope you get something else to fly soon. Thanks for the offer and good information.

Return to “Homebuilders”