TCAS and TRANSPONDERS

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

TCAS and TRANSPONDERS

Post by Doc »

When you're on the ground, TURN OFF YOUR BLOODY TRANSPONDERS!!! Is this TOO much to ask? I'm tired of getting "Traffic, Traffic, same altitude....." It should be on your checklists. This is from some of you who SHOULD know better. C'MON MAN!!
---------- ADS -----------

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: TCAS and TRANSPONDERS

Post by AOW »

But I want to avoid conflicting traffic on the apron!

I don't like to turn my transponder off until I am clear of the runway... just in case you didn't hear my calls/see me on the runway, maybe your TCAS will stop you from landing while I am backtracking! I therefore have got in the habbit of turning the transponder off (or stby) as I make my down and clear call...

At the same time, I would much rather put up with a few annoying TCAS warnings than have these guys fly around in "stealth" mode, "forgetting" to turn on the transponder!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

AOW, if you want to avoid traffic on the apron, you must place little orange (or is that ornge?) cones all around your aircraft, the way the otherwise invisible Dash 8 does in YXL! (anybody know why this guy does this?) Again, refer to my memo. You know how I hate it when your don't read my memos!

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Hi Doc,

Most large aircraft have transponders which inhibit TCAS warnings when on the ground. Perhaps the transponder/TCAS in your aircraft is an older model?

In fact, more and more larger airports are requiring transponders be left on while on the ground. Most large US airports and more and more Canadian airports are installing Airport Surface Detection Equipment, Model X, or ASDE-X which requires the transponder be left on.

Have said that, at smaller airports where this technology is not in place, I agree it is good airmanship to keep the transponder off unless immediately taking the runway for departure. I find the most common offenders are the American guys who are used to flying in and out of ASDE airports south of the border.

Cheers

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

Doc wrote:AOW, if you want to avoid traffic on the apron, you must place little orange (or is that ornge?) cones all around your aircraft, the way the otherwise invisible Dash 8 does in YXL! (anybody know why this guy does this?) Again, refer to my memo. You know how I hate it when your don't read my memos!
You think those guys are bad, try reading UPS's requirements for ground crews. IIRC their 757 had 18 orange cones placed around it, along with 14 wheel chocks (all but the nose wheel chocks were to be 2" from the tire in question, the nosewheel chocks were to be tight to the tires).

I refuse to read your memos because a) they are not written in both official languages and b) you weren't wearing a white shirt with eppaulettes and hit-me vest on the apron.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

It was stated earlier, but I'll chime in.

We are required to have our transponder on during all movement. As mentioned, 95% of the airports I fly into utilize ASDE-X.

Our POH, which derives our SOP's (they aren't called SOP's because the FAA hasn't approved the title 'SOP', yet our brother company flying the exact same aircraft has SOP's, but I digress...) calls for ALT-ON mode during taxi, and prior to takeoff TA/RA mode.
Our transponders inhibits RA's calls below 900'agl, and inhibits TA's below 380' agl.

So the next time you see an Embraer that has wing mounted engines (AC, Cactus, Brickyard, Mercury, Compass Rose etc...) and it sets off your TCAS, rest assured those in the cockpit are still sitting fat, dumb and happy.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I didn't get the memo either. Anyways, bottom line
for the newbies:

Whenever you are on a runway in any aircraft, your
transponder should be set to "ALT". Exit the runway,
transponder to STBY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_1493
SkyWest Metroliner being told to taxi into takeoff
position while the USAir flight was landing on the same runway
without the Metroliner ever being given a takeoff clearance.

Upon landing, the 737 collided with the twin-engine turboprop,
continued down the runway with the turboprop crushed
beneath it, exited the runway, and caught fire. Twenty-two
of 89 people aboard the landing 737 and all 12 aboard the
turboprop died.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I always leave my transponder in the alt position so I don't forget to turn it on and don't need to turn it off. I also always leave my strobes on and my gear down. Better to err on the side of safety! :wink:

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

When I call ATC or FSS and don't get an answer right away, I fly around with my thumb on the "ident" button. That gets me the attention I seek right away.

crazy horse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crazy horse »

Meatservo wrote:When I call ATC or FSS and don't get an answer right away, I fly around with my thumb on the "ident" button. That gets me the attention I seek right away.

Haha, and maybe directly into the hold you hadn't planned on. :wink:

High and Behind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by High and Behind »

Meatservo wrote:When I call ATC or FSS and don't get an answer right away, I fly around with my thumb on the "ident" button. That gets me the attention I seek right away.
But only when flying into Red Lake, giving long winded position reports to flight service so as to maximize your MF time.

126.7_STFU
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 126.7_STFU »

I'm so very happy this thread was born. I have learned quite a bit from it and some other threads as of late.

1) Make position reports when going into YQK, YRL, YXL, @ 20,17,15,13,10,7 and 5 mins from the airport.

2) Be sure to state your COMPLETE ident + whom ever you're talking to's in FULL and transmit for a minimum of 10 seconds to establish your authority in the area. It's also critical that you ask the MF for his/her # , and a second #, in the event you lose coms.

3) Always park in the most convenient area whereby everyone will notice (after choosing the most convenient runway for your arrival of course)... even if it means others will have to dodge you upon exiting the runway. That's what orange pylons are for.

4) Leave transponder set to ALT whenever humanly possible. Not only will this increase safety, it will also decrease the wear in your selection knob or button

I look forward to more topics.

And always remember, STFU on 126.7

Edit: Was nearly flawless! Damn BBB

Last edited by 126.7_STFU on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YXU_wxguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YXU_wxguy »

As for transponder use on the ground, more major airports in Canada are going to be getting Multilateration systems in the future, while not ASDE-X, require aircraft to have transponder on at all times.

http://onboard-abord.ca/mlat/

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

126.7_STFU wrote:...4) Leave transponder set to ALT whenever humanely possible...
Oh the humanity!.... :wink: :mrgreen:

BBB

(couldn't resist)

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Doc, you should get your TCAS version updated. If it's giving you warnings for aircraft on the ground it's way out of date.

bic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bic »

Hey Nark, here is a good reason why you use that procedure...

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation ... O11012.pdf

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

ATIS in Calgary says to leave the transponder on while maneuvering on the ground.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

ahramin wrote:Doc, you should get your TCAS version updated. If it's giving you warnings for aircraft on the ground it's way out of date.
I shall look into it. Tomorrow.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Current is 7.1

Return to “General Comments”