Floats for CPL?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Floats for CPL?

Post by bigEh »

So as I get closer to finishing my PPL I have begun to look towards the next steps in my journey to a CPL and hopefully that first job. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but thought it would be helpful to get some more advice.
To briefly outline my idea of what I want for myself and how I am looking to get there:
I am about to write my written for the PPL having already passed the flight test. My ultimate goal is to fly floats, and living in Victoria, i would ultimately like to end up back home in 5-7 years working for someone on the island.
My basic question is regarding training on Floats. I was originally interested in doing my CPL on floats to combine the cost of CPL training with the cost of training on floats. I have visited a few schools, called a few others and received mixed information. Eventually the best advice I received was to get going on my CPL on wheels as well as building up my time with friends and family. Then around 100-150 hours start training on floats. This way I would be a better pilot and could learn to fly floats a little easier, having gained a bit more total hours.
I haven't decided how many hours I plan to get on floats, and don't want to open up that debate again. I will choose how many based on money, time and most likely the thrill of it. I will definitely be getting more than the basic rating.

So to break it down:
Does anyone have any experience with doing their CPL on floats? Good or bad idea? Do people agree with getting the float training later on towards the 200hrs for commercial? Does training CPL on floats prepare you for the CPL flight test?

Thanks in advance for the advice and info.
---------- ADS -----------

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Floats for CPL?

Post by Bushav8er »

have any experience with doing their CPL on floats?
No...but (depending on where you are) Sudbury Aviation does flight training on floats, you may try there because at the end of it you'll have more (float) time than the minimum for a float rating.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Check pm's.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

If you can afford to do a lot of your CPL hour-building on floats, do it. It's better time. Flying on wheels is like playing the drums: anyone can do it.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The guys up north care about how much their insurance will charge, it's business. More float hours equals less insurance, and for your first job you WILL get hired over a guy with more TT but less float time if you have 100 hrs on floats.
You're also a much better pilot with the float time, that's by far the best part.
Wheels for x-wind landing skills, floats for all around stick rudder and power skills.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Actually, you'd probably be better off learning the x-wind skills on floats, too. Most lakes aren't perfectly circular.

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

I'm pretty sure you can still do CPL training on floats at Air-Heart aviation in Kelowna. They have a 172xp and a 180 on floats, and you can solo in their a/c as well. I'll bet 100 hrs will get you direct into an airplane seat for next season if you have your CPL done by then. Just fax, email, snail mail resumes and follow up afterwards. I've known people with less than 100 hours on floats that jump right into an a/c.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I jumped right into an A/C today!!!

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Thanks for all the replies.
I would still love to hear from anyone who has done their CPL on floats. But maybe right now is not the best time, as most new CPLs are working their asses off with very little spare time.

Thanks in advance for any new input.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

It's a great idea. We used to offer exactly that service, and were certainly one of only a few that could/would/did. What you need to be aware of is that your float instructor will need to have at least a Class 4 Instructor rating and the operator will need to hold an FTU Operator Certificate. Your dual CPL time can almost completely be done in the floatplane.

Have fun!

Return to “General Comments”